Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Oct 2020, 09:41 (Ref:4013497)   #1
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 25-27 Brands Hatch Indy

Brad Philpot secures the PMR Astra for the last round

http://www.btcc.net/2020/10/28/pmr-a...-hatch-finale/
Old 28 Oct 2020, 16:16 (Ref:4013553)   #2
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Ash Sutton would benefit from some rain at Brands. It doesn't look too likely on the forecast. Have they ever had ice or snow at a BTCC event? Would they red flag the race?
Old 28 Oct 2020, 16:18 (Ref:4013554)   #3
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
I wonder if Ash Sutton would benefit from some rain at Brands. It doesn't look too likely on the forecast. Have they ever had ice or snow at a BTCC event? Would they red flag the race?
Opening day, 1998, snow/sleet for race 2 at thruxton. A family friend was over from Northern Australia and was almost blue with the cold!
Old 28 Oct 2020, 16:27 (Ref:4013558)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder if Ash Sutton would benefit from some rain at Brands. It doesn't look too likely on the forecast. Have they ever had ice or snow at a BTCC event?
2013, opening round, snow fell during Saturday running. This happened to Turkington during the same session:

http://www.mjpmedia.com/articles/2013/btcc01/01qbr.jpg
Old 28 Oct 2020, 16:44 (Ref:4013561)   #5
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Brad Philpot secures the PMR Astra for the last round

http://www.btcc.net/2020/10/28/pmr-a...-hatch-finale/
So this explains why he is trying to bury his social media posting history! May be a quick driver, shouldn't be allowed to post on the internet.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:00 (Ref:4013565)   #6
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
So this explains why he is trying to bury his social media posting history! May be a quick driver, shouldn't be allowed to post on the internet.
Oh, what's he done? Not heard of him before.

Honestly, PMR's drivers have been a bit disappointing. I know it's all down to money, but it would've been really cool to see a pro touring car driver from elsewhere (WTCR etc) or GT driver in as one or two of their drivers. Or at least give Jackson a round or two to get back into it.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:01 (Ref:4013567)   #7
porsche962fan
Veteran

Rob Austin was the only true competitive one
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:06 (Ref:4013569)   #8
hen henths
Racer

Jade Edwards might have done a little better if Neate hadn't kept driving into her. Her fastest lap in race 3 was better than Aiden Moffat's.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:20 (Ref:4013572)   #9
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another new face though, nothing wrong with that.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 10:22 (Ref:4013697)   #10
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Honestly, PMR's drivers have been a bit disappointing. I know it's all down to money, but it would've been really cool to see a pro touring car driver from elsewhere (WTCR etc) or GT driver in as one or two of their drivers. Or at least give Jackson a round or two to get back into it.
What stopped Jackson? He was signed up. As usual no money. PMR have done well to survive
Old 29 Oct 2020, 16:29 (Ref:4013750)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well the usual October date for the last brands round is usually ruddy cold, last few years we have had to dress up but not seen any snow for that round. But here in Kent it has been cold all week and still a week or so to get even colder. But on the bright side i will be warm and dry watching it on telly, but will be missing actually being there.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4013792)   #12
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
2013, opening round, snow fell during Saturday running. This happened to Turkington during the same session:

http://www.mjpmedia.com/articles/2013/btcc01/01qbr.jpg
Yes, right in front of me, in what if I remember was his first out lap!
Old 30 Oct 2020, 06:52 (Ref:4013845)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If the brake and tyre thermal relationship is the same as other series, why don’t we see drivers really hammering the brakes on the warm up lap in order to get heat into the brakes, to the rim and ergo the tyre carcass? I’d have thought the FWD teams would have theirs wound to the rear to heat up the rear brakes and the RWD teams the opposite in order to get heat in the fronts? However I’ve never seen glowing discs on a warming up lap.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 08:10 (Ref:4013853)   #14
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
What stopped Jackson? He was signed up. As usual no money. PMR have done well to survive
Was also thinking that the original press release was promising a bit much... 'The team will still look to field at least one car as an independent entry at rounds throughout the year, as part of its plan to showcase and develop both young motorsport talent, as well as giving surprise guest outings to some well-known touring car stars who aren’t able to commit to a full season due to various other commitments. More exciting news on this will come in the days and weeks ahead.' But they did actually do this, didn't they?
Old 30 Oct 2020, 08:11 (Ref:4013854)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If the brake and tyre thermal relationship is the same as other series, why don’t we see drivers really hammering the brakes on the warm up lap in order to get heat into the brakes, to the rim and ergo the tyre carcass? I’d have thought the FWD teams would have theirs wound to the rear to heat up the rear brakes and the RWD teams the opposite in order to get heat in the fronts? However I’ve never seen glowing discs on a warming up lap.
you do see them hammering the brakes on the warm up lap - often whilst weaving at the same time. don’t think it’s particularly visible from many tv camera angles though. brakes don’t have to be glowing to be up to a decent working temperature.

iirc the tyres are tough to get working in the cold temperatures we’ve had since silverstone, so you’re unlikely to be able to get them up to a reasonable temperature before the start. see: how long gt tyres have to be in tyre ovens before they reach the desired temperature.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 09:21 (Ref:4013860)   #16
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't been up close and personal to a racecar for too long (sob ) but when I used to lurk frequently and help one of the Ginetta outfits, trust me, our man gave the brakes a serious work out on the way to the grid.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 09:40 (Ref:4013864)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably used to wonder why he went through so many pads and discs as well
Old 30 Oct 2020, 10:15 (Ref:4013867)   #18
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Always intrigues me how people who follow motorsport haven't heard of people like Bradley. Race of Champions is a pretty big thing and that's where he hit the headlines to start with.

Seems to me to be the perfect candidate for the PMR program. No doubting his ability behind the wheel but he's had to get to where he is by winning competitions rather than having huge pots of money behind him.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 11:36 (Ref:4013877)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looking forward to the final. Colin and Ash on top, but still Dan and Tingram are ready to take advantage of any slip ups those two make
Old 30 Oct 2020, 11:57 (Ref:4013883)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
you do see them hammering the brakes on the warm up lap - often whilst weaving at the same time. don’t think it’s particularly visible from many tv camera angles though. brakes don’t have to be glowing to be up to a decent working temperature.

iirc the tyres are tough to get working in the cold temperatures we’ve had since silverstone, so you’re unlikely to be able to get them up to a reasonable temperature before the start. see: how long gt tyres have to be in tyre ovens before they reach the desired temperature.
I'm sure you're correct, however I just have never seen the brakes glowing which would indicate operational temperature, or perhaps beyond operational temperature. Maybe there isn't enough time to get that kind of heat into the brakes in 1 lap? Given the cold temperatures the teams and drivers are facing now, it would be even more important to get good heat into the tyres before the start of a race.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 12:46 (Ref:4013894)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Always intrigues me how people who follow motorsport haven't heard of people like Bradley. Race of Champions is a pretty big thing and that's where he hit the headlines to start with.
Race of Champions is a big thing to people who follow Race of Champions. I haven't watched it for years, partly because it tends to be shown on a subscription channel I don't have (Sky F1), and partly because I don't find the format that interesting. A quick check back at the Autosport report on the event shows his name mentioned once in a three page story, so wasn't exactly making headlines.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 17:13 (Ref:4013918)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s funny people are talking about the ROC when Brands used to host a different Race of Champions
Old 30 Oct 2020, 22:46 (Ref:4013966)   #23
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Event to be cancelled? New national lockdown is set to be announced on Monday, it’s all over Saturdays papers, all over social media from journalists.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 23:04 (Ref:4013967)   #24
porsche962fan
Veteran

^ so they declare Turkington the champion in that case
Old 30 Oct 2020, 23:09 (Ref:4013968)   #25
hen henths
Racer

I hope not. It would be such an anticlimax if Colin were just declared champion by default due to the finale being cancelled. I expect he wouldn't want his 5th championship to be won like that either. Maybe they could reschedule again. If daylight is an issue, cut down to two races or would it be possible to run a BTCC race on the Saturday? Are there any safety reasons why they couldn't do a night race? They have headlights.