Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Nov 2020, 22:19 (Ref:4017110)   #226
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Was I the only one to be a tiny bit disappointed that it was nowhere near as dark as predicted for the last race.
Predicted by who - not the people who made the plans that’s for sure....
Old 15 Nov 2020, 23:04 (Ref:4017127)   #227
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
TV cameras these days can suck in light from nowhere.

I once watched a GT race at Donny in "the dark", with only headlight shape/ pattern and engine noise giving me a clue who was where. Days later the TV highlights looked like daylight.

Cricket on TV can look broad daylight but the batsman can barely see the bowler running up, and have nay chance of spotting the red ball.

Whoever said the camera never lies was talking twaddle. Or hadn't seen a modern TV camera!
Old 16 Nov 2020, 01:08 (Ref:4017143)   #228
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Was I the only one to be a tiny bit disappointed that it was nowhere near as dark as predicted for the last race.
If race three had been at the normal time i.e. five o'clock or later, I'm sure it would have been but the schedule was revised presumably to avoid that exact thing. Shame, I'd have liked a 'night race' as well, but what we had was pretty good too so I'll allow it.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 01:24 (Ref:4017145)   #229
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Infiniti's are eligible until 2025 so they may take another title if Ash stays with them next season or beyond.

I think the way Hexathron has tickled the base design and rethought how an NGTC car shpupd be designed had left most of the paddock with detailed winter testing plan i.e making the thing as soft as possible structurally dtiff cars might not be the way to go in future with the hybrid era dawning. Being kind on the tyres over a race distance might need to be sacrificed for being able to switch on the rubber by turn 1.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 07:56 (Ref:4017171)   #230
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Wonder if any team owners looking to change motors are having conversations with the Moffats? Four years of eligibility to run and a proven winner with the right wheelman...
Old 16 Nov 2020, 08:09 (Ref:4017175)   #231
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wonder if any team owners looking to change motors are having conversations with the Moffats? Four years of eligibility to run and a proven winner with the right wheelman...
Who would want a Swindon engined car? The reliability has been poor although one won the Championship
Old 16 Nov 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4017176)   #232
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I think the way Hexathron has tickled the base design and rethought how an NGTC car shpupd be designed had left most of the paddock with detailed winter testing plan i.e making the thing as soft as possible structurally dtiff cars might not be the way to go in future with the hybrid era dawning.
Quote:
If teams are going to pursue this route, I think it would be shortsighted.

As you say - the right wheelman. The Infiniti as it is currently set up works well in Sutton's hands, but it may not be usable by many other drivers on the grid.
When Sutton won the title in 2017 - did everyone rush out to get themselves in an estate car?
WSR have been prepping BMWs for a number of years now with a lot of success - I can't see them going down a different route overnight because of one season's results.
How much of the Infiniti 'softness' would even work on a FWD car?

Ultimately, you have to look at how others have fared in the same machinery to understand the potential merits of an approach.
In the same machine as Sutton, Moffat and previously Plato have struggled to match his results. Both of them are proven drivers of high quality, so it is as much about how Sutton drives the car as it is the car itself being the best set up.
In the same machine as Turkington, Jordan has shown that the set up works as much as the driver.

It shouldn't be underestimated how much Sutton's driving is a factor in the Infiniti being successful. Every other team on the grid have been able to get results with different drivers - it is only in the cars that Sutton has driven that he is the only one able to get consistent results.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4017177)   #233
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Who would want a Swindon engined car? The reliability has been poor although one won the Championship
No-one after 2021.

Although right now - anyone who doesn't want to (or can't) spend their money on developing their own engine, or runs a marque for which there isn't a suitable engine available.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 08:49 (Ref:4017181)   #234
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pandemic permitting, this winter will be a very busy off season testing wise with teams experimenting with ideas well outside the box I think.

Anyways that's a subject for the 2021 silly season thread.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 09:29 (Ref:4017185)   #235
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised at how clean the racing was - only 1 safety car?
Old 16 Nov 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4017189)   #236
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Ash. I was rooting for Turks, so not the outcome I wanted, but you have to hand it to Ash - he is a cracking driver. Ominous that he's won 2 titles in his first 5 seasons and beaten Colin both times the title fight has been between those two ('17 and '20).

Hopefully all the main players will be back for 2021 and we can get back trackside!
Old 16 Nov 2020, 10:25 (Ref:4017195)   #237
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I was surprised at how clean the racing was - only 1 safety car?
Yeah I picked up on that too - given how awful the conditions were in 2 of the races there could've been a massive incident, but everyone drove very well.

Not sure what happened between Jelley & Neate but looked like a sizeable impact there. Winced when Morgan was headed for the stricken car.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 11:02 (Ref:4017213)   #238
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they just didn't need a safety car, but I agree, good driving standards, shows how well they've been this year, despite the odd incident that will always happen when you have this close racing. Just a normal day at the office

As for Jelley and Neate, I think maybe Jelley lost it on his own, but not sure how Neate caught up in it. What a shame for Neate. Despite the less than stellar job he's done, he could have picked up somthing in that third race. Lucky that we had no one else off there, even if it was out of the line of fire, someone else could have hit that Beemer. But luckily the racing continued without major incident
Old 16 Nov 2020, 11:23 (Ref:4017218)   #239
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As for Jelley and Neate, I think maybe Jelley lost it on his own, but not sure how Neate caught up in it.
Didn’t Jelley’s car have a big dent in the back??
Old 16 Nov 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4017221)   #240
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
'On lap four Stephen Jelley went off at Druids after a collision with Andy Neate, meaning both ended the season in retirement.'
Old 16 Nov 2020, 11:39 (Ref:4017227)   #241
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Didn’t Jelley’s car have a big dent in the back??
I would guess Neate missed his braking point or put a wheel on the grass and slid into the back of Jelley. Though it seemed to happen a long way round the corner.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 19:07 (Ref:4017312)   #242
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It shouldn't be underestimated how much Sutton's driving is a factor in the Infiniti being successful. Every other team on the grid have been able to get results with different drivers - it is only in the cars that Sutton has driven that he is the only one able to get consistent results.
True, very true. The kid has a special talent. Ash's car always looks twitchy like it's about to breakaway and send marshalls running for cover. The only other current driver that I have noticed thriving in such a setup is Tingram - that Toyota looks even twitchier, but that could be it's more compact size exaggerating it. No idea how Speedworks engineer the thing or if anyone else could live with a Tingram setup and I do not believe we'll be finding any answers to that one any year soon.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 19:08 (Ref:4017313)   #243
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I would guess Neate missed his braking point or put a wheel on the grass and slid into the back of Jelley. Though it seemed to happen a long way round the corner.
Surely Steven snagged reverse by accident and went into Andy? I can't believe Andy would have made a mishsteak.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:05 (Ref:4017334)   #244
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Surely Steven snagged reverse by accident and went into Andy? I can't believe Andy would have made a mishsteak.
About as likely as the post saying he went off by himself. Despite the massive dent in the back.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:29 (Ref:4017400)   #245
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
About as likely as the post saying he went off by himself. Despite the massive dent in the back.
Nope Stephen backed it into some bollards in the Swanley Asda and rejoined the race.