Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Aug 2022, 12:01 (Ref:4122946)   #226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it will last till next year, but they need to get the quality in while they can. I just hope they've got through all their problems, but they need more cars on the grid and make sure all the remaining races go ahead. It's been such a waste of what could have been

I can't see much changing. It was ok for DTM, they found a way to continue through hard work
Old 16 Aug 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4122957)   #227
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with you, not a lot can be changed now. If WTCR doesn't work with TCR cars, certainly it wouldn't work with a return to WTCC days and completely new cars. Unless they come up with something to lure back more teams (and manufacturers to some extent - without them, quality won't be too high because of lack of money to pay professional drivers) and clear the calendar and tyres mess, I can't see WTCR surviving for long. Not saying it'll be discontinued for 2023 but perhaps for 2024. I can also see WTCR being absorbed by ETCR in not too distant future.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 09:58 (Ref:4123022)   #228
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing about ETCR is that I don't think many people know it exists. Whilst I like the ultimate concept (if they can turn it into a full-field rather than the current format of time-trials/RX heat races), I've seen a lot of comments akin to 'it would be great if there was an electric touring car series' or 'they should get a grid of Tesla cars as a support series'.

I'm not sure whether the logistics allow it or if Formula E are happy to allow it, but it would really help ETCR and the new ERA championship, possibly even FE, gain traction if the FIA worked to get them all together for at least a part-shared calendar, paddock space allowing.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 10:03 (Ref:4123025)   #229
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
I'm not sure whether the logistics allow it or if Formula E are happy to allow it, but it would really help ETCR and the new ERA championship, possibly even FE, gain traction if the FIA worked to get them all together for at least a part-shared calendar, paddock space allowing.
That could work at a track like Silverstone - their RX track is completely separate from the main circuit.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 10:23 (Ref:4123028)   #230
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless ETCR gets a full grid of, say 20-22 cars at least and establishes 'normal' race format, I will not be even bothered to watch it. It's so artificial and lacks emotions and sense for me.
However, the potential is there. The cars, apart from sounding completely ridiculous, 'behave' very nicely and IMO might provide a lot more interesting racing action than Formula E for instance. But now it's difficult to perceive ETCR as a fully-fledged touring car championship. More like an exhibiton of manufacturers and their eco agenda, nothing else.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 10:59 (Ref:4123029)   #231
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Unless ETCR gets a full grid of, say 20-22 cars at least and establishes 'normal' race format, I will not be even bothered to watch it. It's so artificial and lacks emotions and sense for me.
However, the potential is there. The cars, apart from sounding completely ridiculous, 'behave' very nicely and IMO might provide a lot more interesting racing action than Formula E for instance. But now it's difficult to perceive ETCR as a fully-fledged touring car championship. More like an exhibiton of manufacturers and their eco agenda, nothing else.
Agreed - at least, unlike Formula E, they're 'racing' on proper circuits. It's the gimmicky shootout stuff that puts me off.

Will be interesting to see how it develops for 2023.

The ETCR finale was moved from Istanbul - I wonder if WTCR is in a similar boat, assume they were sharing the weekend together.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 11:18 (Ref:4123030)   #232
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
The ETCR finale was moved from Istanbul - I wonder if WTCR is in a similar boat, assume they were sharing the weekend together.

No. The Sachsenring Schedule is completly full with the ADAC GT Masters, ADAC GT4 Germany, ADAC TCR Germany, Carrera Cup Germany and ETCR.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:18 (Ref:4123037)   #233
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
No. The Sachsenring Schedule is completly full with the ADAC GT Masters, ADAC GT4 Germany, ADAC TCR Germany, Carrera Cup Germany and ETCR.
I was meaning similar in terms of cancelling Istanbul.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4123040)   #234
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I was meaning similar in terms of cancelling Istanbul.
WTCR had never announced a race in Turkey in the first place.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4123041)   #235
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
WTCR had never announced a race in Turkey in the first place.
Ah I thought they had. My bad.
Old 22 Aug 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4123418)   #236
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, doesn't look good for next year. Even this year can be problem to finish respectfully.

Racing on this level - even with "cheap" touring cars is way to expensive, especially if you want world class level with paid superstar drivers, hospitality and venues around the world.

In general it is also useless to race with car models, they are not selling everywhere on the planet.

For drivers from BTCC or other series it could only be interesting to display their talent with a wild card, if there is possibility to get hired as a works driver. Like Azcona did.

Otherwise it is only burning money fast.

Maybe they should make kind of staging system...drivers who win ETCR get promoted to WTCR and paid next saison there?
Something like that.
Or teams winning local series get paid saison in ETCR -> WTCR.

And of course: change promoter. Eurosport is useless, in any way. Do they have no controllers there, who see that they burning money and forgetting about broadcasting it????
Old 26 Aug 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4123708)   #237
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've said that they should allow guest appearances from drivers from local TCR series in each round. That might help boost the series. But the problem is I think the series is on it's last legs anyway......
Old 26 Aug 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4123803)   #238
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They do allow that. Nobody bothers.
Old 1 Sep 2022, 11:56 (Ref:4124467)   #239
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
I'm not sure why no one bothers, looking into it the entry fee is around 5000EUR for a guest entry with tyres, fuel, running costs and travel on top of that, so nothing excessively extortionate. Perhaps the entry requirements are quite high or there just isn't interest/value to do it.

In other big news, WTCR have confirmed the final two rounds - 1 at Bahrain supporting WEC and a standalone at Jeddah on the touring car layout. Hopefully, that entices some interest for a 2023 resurgence, or is it too late...either way, it's a nice way to round out the year.
Old 1 Sep 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4124473)   #240
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
In other big news, WTCR have confirmed the final two rounds - 1 at Bahrain supporting WEC and a standalone at Jeddah on the touring car layout. Hopefully, that entices some interest for a 2023 resurgence, or is it too late...either way, it's a nice way to round out the year.
Ah, places with a great interest in touring cars.... to be expected I suppose! Bahrain's a good circuit, Jeddah's about the twelfth 'street' track this year.
Old 1 Sep 2022, 22:24 (Ref:4124506)   #241
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
That’s a fair point, but it might still be good publicity at Bahrain being alongside WEC. I can’t imagine the attendance is massive for the Bahraini WEC round but at least it puts WTCR in front of the core Bahrain motorsport crowd that are interested in racing outside of F1. Maybe it’ll help the region grow interest in touring cars…probably not, but we can hope.
Old 14 Oct 2022, 09:30 (Ref:4130219)   #242
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA WTCR won´t exist in it´s Format in 2023. The Series will end after 2022.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...2022-campaign/
Old 9 Nov 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4133069)   #243
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see Rob Huff not complete the 2022 WTCR season.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...tcr-programme/

Looks like Zengo did not have the resources to run his car properly in Bahrain and Saudi. No resources for sufficient prep.

Bence Boldizs is replacing him for the final two rounds.
Old 9 Nov 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4133093)   #244
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Sad to see Rob Huff not complete the 2022 WTCR season.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...tcr-programme/

Looks like Zengo did not have the resources to run his car properly in Bahrain and Saudi. No resources for sufficient prep.

Bence Boldizs is replacing him for the final two rounds.
By resources.... you mean they couldn't pay him and therefore needed a pay driver bringing budget in to cover the seat ?
Old 10 Nov 2022, 08:28 (Ref:4133152)   #245
S griffin
Veteran

Hardly great for the series when a former champion can't compete in it due to financial problems. Shows how badly the series is doing, probably right to put it out of it's misery
Old 10 Nov 2022, 09:36 (Ref:4133163)   #246
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
By resources.... you mean they couldn't pay him and therefore needed a pay driver bringing budget in to cover the seat ?
You've hit the nail on the head there!

Agree with S griffin too, the series is a laughing stock. Only 1 ex-WTCC/WTCR champion on the grid too for the final rounds - Norbert Michelisz.

From what I've seen online this morning, neither Zengo car went out in FP1 so looks like the team is possibly even trying to save money by not running in all sessions.
Old 10 Nov 2022, 23:15 (Ref:4133234)   #247
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've seen online this morning, neither Zengo car went out in FP1 so looks like the team is possibly even trying to save money by not running in all sessions.[/QUOTE]

Zengo cars hadn’t passed scrutineering in time for free practice 1
Old 11 Nov 2022, 06:04 (Ref:4133248)   #248
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is going to be the greatest race in the history of touring car racing. Im so excited. Roll on 4pm. AMAZING to get a race on a Friday too, what luck we are having. Thank you Eurosport. Thank you Neil Hudson and TCR with your crazy driver ranking system. I cant believe it. THANK YOU ALL
Old 11 Nov 2022, 12:52 (Ref:4133277)   #249
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
This is going to be the greatest race in the history of touring car racing. Im so excited. Roll on 4pm. AMAZING to get a race on a Friday too, what luck we are having. Thank you Eurosport. Thank you Neil Hudson and TCR with your crazy driver ranking system. I cant believe it. THANK YOU ALL
Old 11 Nov 2022, 16:06 (Ref:4133293)   #250
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Zengo cars did the formation lap & then pitted…

Started from pit lane but they are about 10 seconds off already