Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2001, 17:32 (Ref:101922)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the Newey Turns

Pinched from Autosport.com:
-------------------------------------------------------

Newey set to quit Formula 1 after 2002

America's Cup yacht project on the horizon for McLaren's design genius?

Formula 1 design ace Adrian Newey, the man at the centre of a contractual tug-of-war between McLaren and the Jaguar Racing squad, looks set to quit F1 altogether at the end of his existing contract, according to an exclusive report in this week's Autosport magazine.

Newey's current deal with McLaren ends in August 2002. But after Jaguar announced it had signed the 42-year-old on a long-term contract last Friday, McLaren responded with a three-year extension to his existing terms at Woking. (Click bottom of page for related stories)

As part of the extended deal, McLaren said that Newey would design the team's 2002 and 2003 cars, but would be allowed to pursue other design projects in the longer term.

According to Autosport, sources say that the alternative projects include looking at ways of allowing Newey to realise his dream of designing a racing yacht for the sport's blue riband event, the America's Cup.

As speculated at the time of the announcement, McLaren team boss Ron Dennis appears determined that if Newey does not wish to design F1 cars for him beyond August 2002, he will not design them for anybody else.

Jaguar Racing boss Bobby Rahal, who was instrumental in brokering the deal for his friend Newey to join the team, says that he doesn't believe the aerodynamics expert's decision to stay with McLaren will effect the Milton Keynes-based outfit's long-term ambition to challenge for titles.

"Jaguar Racing are going to succeed and, as a result of what's happened, we're probably even more determined to do it," Rahal told Autosport. "I think, too, that if people ever wondered if Jaguar and Ford were serious about their F1 effort, this probably answers that."

Jaguar is believed to have offered Newey a five-year deal with a salary of £3.5 million per year.

For a full analysis of the repercussions of 'Neweygate' and the inside line on where Jaguar and Adrian Newey go next, read this week's Autosport magazine
Old 6 Jun 2001, 17:50 (Ref:101934)   #2
Niall
Rookie

Niall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a way I am sort of happy that newey will finally be gone.

Why you ask ?

I know that he is the best in the businees and to have such a brilliant man in the business can only be a good thing. But with his exit maybe the cars in F1 can become closer in performance.

Every year except this year Newey has designed cars way faster than anythign the oposition can put up.

Just look at the 92 and 93 Williams. Stuningly fast creations.

Niall
Old 6 Jun 2001, 20:35 (Ref:102002)   #3
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: As the Newey Turns

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Pinched from Autosport.com:
-------------------------------------------------------
Newey to realise his dream of designing a racing yacht for the sport's blue riband event, the America's Cup.
Memo To Dennis Conner:

Do not hire that man!
Old 6 Jun 2001, 20:51 (Ref:102013)   #4
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is either:

a) a hoax
b) a negotiating ploy
c) the most misconcieved idea since Michael Jordan decided to play baseball.

Does Mr. Newey have any credentials designing sailboats?
Old 6 Jun 2001, 22:00 (Ref:102036)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely yachting's blue riband event would be the... er... Blue Riband.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 00:12 (Ref:102073)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er, no Tim - the Blue Riband is the trophy for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic, by any surface means, not just sail.

However, this does remind me that someone described trying to win the Americas Cup (or the Hundred Guinea Cup as it would still be called if the NYYC hadn't hijacked the name) as like standing in a cold shower tearing up fifty pound notes ...

Bob Marley
Old 7 Jun 2001, 02:03 (Ref:102081)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse
Er, no Tim - the Blue Riband is the trophy for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic, by any surface means, not just sail.

However, this does remind me that someone described trying to win the Americas Cup (or the Hundred Guinea Cup as it would still be called if the NYYC hadn't hijacked the name) as like standing in a cold shower tearing up fifty pound notes ...
No!! Votesse!! You are only talking about Ocean Yacht Racing. Tearing up 50 pound notes wouldn't even equate to making the sails for the Americas Cup boats. For the Americas Cup, we are talking about ripping up million pound cheques to equate to its expenditure. And you can forget about standing under the shower - they guy who metaphorically rips up the checques doesn't even get onto the boat.
I doubt the seriousness of this article. It takes great designers to design a winning boat for the Americas Cup. It would be a shame if Newey doesn't fo to Jaguar by the end of next year.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 02:57 (Ref:102093)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You read it here first folks!!! See Liz' Royal Ballet of Canada thread.

posted by EERO 2nd June 2001 11:59

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

Lastest news from Sofia, Bulgaria, has linked Adrian Newey, the noted Race car Designer for McLaren International, as the chief designer for the "Bulgar", the Bulgarian Entry in the America's Cup Challenge.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 09:07 (Ref:102143)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
You read it here first folks!!! See Liz' Royal Ballet of Canada thread.

posted by EERO 2nd June 2001 11:59

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

Lastest news from Sofia, Bulgaria, has linked Adrian Newey, the noted Race car Designer for McLaren International, as the chief designer for the "Bulgar", the Bulgarian Entry in the America's Cup Challenge.
I understand that the Swiss Navy are also very keen to have Adrian Newey aboard.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 12:55 (Ref:102219)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 7 Jun 2001, 15:29 (Ref:102270)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gosh. But as someone said, perhaps we will see the top teams all closing up.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 15:43 (Ref:102274)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today's Chapter of "As The Newey Turns" ... courtesy of British Racing Green:

======================================================================

Press Release: ACHQ - Monday 4 June 13.00 GMT

As the latest and perhaps the most bizarre chapter of the Adrian Newey saga unfolds, it would appear that the aerodynamic whiz is on a mission to prove that a contract a day keeps the lawyers gay. The latest players in the Newey-go-round are none other than the Antipodean duo from the AC-HQ. We received this press release from Lazarus & Dingwall earlier today.

Lazarus & Dingwall are pleased to announce that they are attempting to mediate a peace deal between Adrian Newey, Jaguar and McLaren. If successful, the deal will see Newey turn his back on both teams at the end of this year to take up the position of AC-HQ official name-dropper.

We understand that listless lethargic listeners down at the Plumbers Arms have been voting with their yawns for some time now. It is clear that quality name-dropping is a definite weakness in the current AC-HQ line up. Lazarus claims that he once "knew" a lady who received detention after a geometry class with some bloke who now wheels the tea trolley at B.A.R., is wearing a bit thin. For his part, he can only pontificate his parable about the day he literally bumped into Niki Lauda on a Sydney street back in 1985. Of course the more talented of the Anipodean duo cannot substantiate this encounter other than to insist that anyone who speaks with an accent, wears a suit and Parmalat™ cap, must be Niki Lauda.

The boys are happy to admit their deficiency and seem to recognise the need for an injection of fresh talent to help their cause. "What we really need at the AC-HQ, is some bona-fide, genuine, inner-sanctum, name-dropping. Who better than Adrian to supply us with that facet," stated Dingwall.

Indeed there are signs that the Newey coup may be just in the nick of time as patience wains at the AC-HQ. "Personally, I think Crompo's B.A.R. story has had more repeats than a feed of cheap Chinese take away. Despite insisting that his anecdote will be validated when an invite to tour the Brackley tea-rooms arrives, it never has," opined Dingwall. "I reckon Rob's Lauda story is only fit for telling to Lucky Lucy at bedtime. At least she appreciates a good fairy tale." retorted Lazarus.

The duo produced this as yet unverified statement, which they allege was forwarded to them by Adrian Newey and which they declare is ample proof of the strength of their decision. "I was saying to Ron and Norbert this morning that I have long been a fan of the Antipodean based duo. David and Mika certainly agreed that the performance of my cars on the grid of late proves my comedic talent. Max and Bernie said to me only last week that the boys' credibility could sure use a hand so I think I have to agree with my old mate Damon when he says that the boys have to look outside the AC-HQ for a remedy. Frank sent me a message via Patrick when rumours first began to circulate about this deal that I'd be mad not take it. Another big influence on my decision was the phone calls I had from Bobby and Niki, who both related that they'd heard my close pal, Eddie, speak in reverent tones about Lazarus and Dingwall's "little black book" of girly phone numbers, declaring it to be the one thing he would be happy to share with Pedro. Of course I was a little hurt when Murray told me over dinner, that Martin had asked him to pass on a message that he'd heard from Ricardo that I was only their second choice after Eion. But then as I said to Nigel at the golf course yesterday, it will be a challenge for me to prove to the boys that I'm the better man for the job and Jackie interrupted his tee shot to back me up on that point.

Attempts by the editor to cajole the boys about the as-yet undisclosed remuneration package met with a not inconsiderable amount of side-stepping, but it is understood to be far less than Newey is currently receiving from McLaren. Our insiders at the AC-HQ have revealed that the package involves the unlimited use of both the AC-HQ Bambino and Crompo's X1/9. We would like to caution Mr Newey that while the use of these two vehicles is declared to be unlimited in principle, it must be remembered that these two cars show a level of reliability that makes the McLaren record for this year look enviable. Apparently, this deal is further sweetened by an open "Shandy-tab" at the Plumbers Arms. However, the use of Lazarus & Dingwall's little black book is far from a fait accompli.

"The use of our little black book is not at this stage, included in the deal. However, we are negotiating an incentive-based scheme whereby we will show Adrian one page at a time starting at Z for any name-drops which induce open-mouthed awe by the patrons at the Plumbers Arms."

When quizzed about the decision to start at Z, Dingwall replied somewhat coyly…."Oh that!. Well strictly off the record Antony (sure thing boys. the book in question is actually the property of a certain talented local driver who we'll just call….uuum… Peter. Now Peter himself is naturally working his way through this catalogue beginning from A. We reasoned that, at least in the early stages of our relationship with Adrian, it would be as well if he and Peter did not find themselves in a situation where they were the bread in a, shall we say, black book sandwich. Logically, by keeping them at opposing ends of the alphabet, it permits us to defer this inevitable "coming together" for as long as possible.

It is believed that Ron Dennis is doubly incensed at this latest development. He not only faces the prospect of losing the same key technical player for the second time in as many days, he also finds himself in the embarrassing position of being a droppable name in Newey's CV. Unsurprisingly, Ron is yet to respond to this latest allegation, but rest assured that we will bring you developments as and when they happen.

To purchase your Adrian Newey contract signing magic marker and white-out kit.........