Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 1 Dec 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2345280)   #1
RIPPERTON
Rookie

RIPPERTON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eastern Creek redesigned

Hi, new guy here. Heres a go at bringing the MotoGP back to the creek with a faster figure 8 design.

Old 2 Dec 2008, 00:56 (Ref:2345335)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good!
Welcome aboard!
Now for MotoGP that turn 1 sure looks scary with the little runoff considering the speeds at wich that section can be taken.If it's a wet race even more so,I would either try to decrease the radius or add more land to the left. What would the distance be anyway?
Old 2 Dec 2008, 02:14 (Ref:2345357)   #3
RIPPERTON
Rookie

Luiggi. T1 is SUPPOSED to be scary but you could run a smaller radius turn outside the existing large radius one but keep the larger radius for the track day spodes that dont want to slow down.
The overall track length has only increased about 100m from 3.43km to 3.53km but there has been 90 degrees of turn removed so lap time could actually be shorter and a higher average speed. current record is around 1.29.

Thanks for the welcome, nice to be here
Old 2 Dec 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2345431)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi RIPPERTON, but isn't Eastern Creek already about 3.9kms? Or have I read something wrong??

Anyway, there's already an official thingo to improve Eastern Creek to FIA-standards so that it could have F1 cars on it or something like that (woooooohh). An extension of 800 mtrs is planned, the track will be able to run 3 races at once, tarmac run-off areas EVERYWHERE, and last but not least, the direction has been changed to clockwise. A downer for me is the fact it doesn't exactly flow much. Here it is. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Eastern Creek proposed redevelopment.jpg  
Old 2 Dec 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2345562)   #5
RIPPERTON
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
Hi RIPPERTON, but isn't Eastern Creek already about 3.9kms? Or have I read something wrong??

Anyway, there's already an official thingo to improve Eastern Creek to FIA-standards so that it could have F1 cars on it or something like that (woooooohh). An extension of 800 mtrs is planned, the track will be able to run 3 races at once, tarmac run-off areas EVERYWHERE, and last but not least, the direction has been changed to clockwise. A downer for me is the fact it doesn't exactly flow much. Here it is. Enjoy.
Thats the problem with it..its official, and theres no way anyone could enjoy a glorified Pitt St stop-go traffic simulator like that. You might not get F1 at eastern Creek ever because its just too small but you might get MotoGP.
Im confused as to its length now in Wiki it says 3.45 but you measure it with Google Earth and its 3.9.
Everyone on my bike forum (RATs) likes my design and no one likes the "official" track which was probly designed by someone whose never riden a bike.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2345896)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If it was drawn up with F1 in mind, the design was almost certainly done by Hermann Tilke.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 02:31 (Ref:2346049)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Everyone on my bike forum (RATs) likes my design and no one likes the "official" track which was probly designed by someone whose never riden a bike.
whoa at last I'm not alone!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2346052)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I belive if you put AirFence in the critical points at T1 and it should pass the MotoGP safety commission ,the straight looks like 850m at least, were talkin flirting with 200mph into a 3rd or 4th gear corner, any mistake and people is going to fly for a while so gravel or better is needed in the most probable landing area.

I would race it as is though,on a personal level!!!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2347028)   #9
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Eastern Creek is Rubbish. The V8's have abandoned it, A1 is now going to Surfers.

The track is boring and it is too hard to overtake on.

What is an airfence???

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 Dec 2008 at 13:08.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2347230)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An airfence is a a generic term used to mean one of two types of safety structure

1 an airbag which is inflated but has vents to allow the air out when someone/thing hits it. the deformation as the air is released absorbs the energy of the impact. Downside..it's possible to slide under this type of fence and hit the wall/barrier behind it unabated. This type is being replaced by ...

2 an air foam barrier, similar idea to 1 but instead of it being inflated, it's actually a large piece of foam which has lots of tiny air pockets. when on impact the air is squeezed out as the foam compresses absorbing the energy of the impact. These can be set further away from a hard barrier to allow them to mmove and absorb impact that way too. They can also be used instead of tyre walls at chicanes etc.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 Dec 2008 at 13:17.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2347279)   #11
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
An airfence is a a generic term used to mean one of two types of safety structure

1 an airbag which is inflated but has vents to allow the air out when someone/thing hits it. the deformation as the air is released absorbs the energy of the impact. Downside..it's possible to slide under this type of fence and hit the wall/barrier behind it unabated. This type is being replaced by ...

2 an air foam barrier, similar idea to 1 but instead of it being inflated, it's actually a large piece of foam which has lots of tiny air pockets. when on impact the air is squeezed out as the foam compresses absorbing the energy of the impact. These can be set further away from a hard barrier to allow them to mmove and absorb impact that way too. They can also be used instead of tyre walls at chicanes etc.
Number 2 sounds like the NASCAR "safe" walls.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2347290)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No not quite, my understanding of the Safer wall is a concrete-polystyrene(hard foam)-concrete sandwich.

2 above is a soft foam...sponge like might be a better description, something of the type used in kids play areas although more duarble obviously which returns back to it's shape.
In the picture below taken at my local circuit, you can see the plastic(velcroed on) weather proof covers over these barriers which are placed in front of the tyre wall.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0432.JPG  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 Dec 2008 at 14:34.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2347629)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as long as the wall absorbs the impact and not too much damage to the car
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2347648)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Since Knockhill put in the foam barriers there has been a serious amount of cash saved by the barriers. They are much more car friendly than tyre walls.
I've seen big hits into the foam barrier, that have driven back to the paddock once pulled clear of the gravel with not even a scratch to the paint work. The same hit into the tyres would have ripped off a front or damaged sterring etc.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2348161)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say I prefer Ripperton's design over the so-called official edit, which I think is too stop-start. In fact, Ripperton's design looks like it could be fun.
But the T10-T11 combination doesn't look too safe for bikes, I'm afraid. For cars, it should work, though.
Old 5 Dec 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2348317)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also, aren't the foam barriers preferred for motorbikes too?
Old 5 Dec 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2348404)   #17
RIPPERTON
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
I must say I prefer Ripperton's design over the so-called official edit, which I think is too stop-start. In fact, Ripperton's design looks like it could be fun.
But the T10-T11 combination doesn't look too safe for bikes, I'm afraid. For cars, it should work, though.
Thanks Yannick
Ive caught myself a few times imagining what it would be like to go rampaging up the flyover (T3-T4) on my CBR1000RR gabbing a bit of 4th gear for 200kmh + before tipping into T4 blind elevator in 3rd and then have to brake mid turn for the chicane when the bike is unloaded over the crest. Sounds delicious.
btw I havnt changed T10 T11, its a pretty cool switch back at the moment. T11 T12 are a linked double apex with a touch of ripple on the outside.
Heres my last adventure at the creek.
CBR1000RR 160hp and 152kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPDusUA6RQs
Old 5 Dec 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2348505)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Also, aren't the foam barriers preferred for motorbikes too?
I think they were originally designed for bike racer safety as a better alternative to hay bales in front of tyre walls.

However car owners have seen the positive side as well as they minimise the damage to cars as well.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2348655)   #19
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Don't mean to cut the tyre wall conversation short or anything, but back to the official proposal for Eastern Creek, I have to admit that however good it may be for Eastern Creek as a venue and Australian motorsport, I don't like it much because it's too broken up into stop-start bits and it doesn't flow much, if not at all.

It's not hard to see this as a desperate attempt to lure the Australian MotoGP away from Phillip Island (Yeah, right, like that'll happen.), or to get F1 there away from Albert Park (Good luck!) or to get big-time international motorsport to race there or whatever, but for me, mainly I see it as an attempt to make it longer so that all sorts of stuff can happen for NSW's motorsport, seeing as Oran Park is going to be turned into housing developments very soon. And they've also lost A1GP to Surfers Paradise, who in turn have lost the IndyCars.

Also, I'd be a bit surprised and a bit not surprised if Tilke himself had anything to do with the new design.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2349871)   #20
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really liked Eastern Creek in its current layout, but the official proposal is not a step in the right direction in my opinion. I like your design Ripperton, but I figured that I should have a go too. Here's my edit.

I completely ignored the whole multiple courses concept, so now I have only left a club circuit. I don't know how this would work out in length either.

EDIT: After taking another look at the current Eastern Creek, I see now that my idea is very similar . Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-12-07-1659-38.jpg  

Last edited by Stig; 7 Dec 2008 at 22:13.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2349930)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ripperton:
With the excpetion of Turn 10/11 it is great.
Just push turn 11 out about 50 metres and shorten the straight leading to turn 10 so it forms a proper right/left series with good run off and you'll be fine.

Turn one was never a problem with bikes before and won't be now.
Its much better than the 'revision' the offical view has proposed.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 02:51 (Ref:2349999)   #22
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Who cares about the length! It's great! Well done again.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2398606)   #23
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2565009

I'm going to try to revive this thread with my edit. I know it's very radical and almost unrecognizable from its current layout but I hope this would bring the V8 Supercars and maybe even F1 back to Eastern Creek. I have expanded the pits and paddock area and created many more passing opportunities.

The first turn is tightened slightly so it may now be a passing opportunity for those brave enough. Turn 3 is unchanged and there is a short circuit that cuts off at the decreasing radius turn 5 and rejoins at 13. After 6 and 7 there is a long backstraight with a chicane at the end of it. The following corners are a sequence of fast sweeping corners, ending with the right left right chicane that is turns 13-15. 16 is unchanged but turns 18 and 19 are tightened in hopes of making turn 1 more of a passing zone. The whole track has 19 turns and has been extended to 2.92 miles (4.79 km). As usual questions, comments, and criticisms are welcome. Enjoy!

Last edited by tlongman; 16 Feb 2009 at 18:21.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2401909)   #24
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work, tlongman. I'm not too sure about the last two corners (but then again, I don't know what I would do to change them). That's the only minor complaint. Other than that, it's excellent.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2405901)   #25
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Another great job on the Creek tlongman.

I also wanted to say that I won't be posting of my new tracks any time soon due to work, doing up older ones, etc.

Now I know what it must be like for the elder statesmen of My Tracks, having lives and not having much time for their creations...