Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2022, 08:56 (Ref:4104327)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Do they have missile intercept systems at the circuit?
Old 26 Mar 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4104328)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Toto agreed with Christian, (as did the other team principals) but dont let that stop you pushing your barrow.

Horner and Wolff were united that the show must go on.

“We had a good meeting and we — the team principals — are all agreed on this to go ahead. This circuit is probably the safest place in Saudi Arabia at this moment,” said Wolff.
Others may have agreed, but Christian went further, saying they wouldn't be bullied by terrorists, ignoring the fact the Saudis are just as bad to Yemen.

It's all very well for those in the sport to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but they then go to this country that's having it's own conflict
Old 26 Mar 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4104329)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Do they have missile intercept systems at the circuit?
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...ace-shield.htm
Old 26 Mar 2022, 09:08 (Ref:4104330)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Others may have agreed, but Christian went further, saying they wouldn't be bullied by terrorists, ignoring the fact the Saudis are just as bad to Yemen.

It's all very well for those in the sport to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but they then go to this country that's having it's own conflict
the fact you don’t mention baku as being problematic says it all…

the world is not black and white, nothing is clear cut, especially not as clear cut as the f1 fandom makes it.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 10:22 (Ref:4104332)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the fact you don’t mention baku as being problematic says it all…

the world is not black and white, nothing is clear cut, especially not as clear cut as the f1 fandom makes it.

So the fact I didn’t mention Baku means my point is invalid? Ridiculous logic. FWIW I haven’t been thrilled with F1 going there either.

And yes, no country is perfect, but is it any coincidence that we don’t get these sorts of questions when we go to Silverstone, Spa or Monaco? Or Canada, Japan or Australia?
Old 26 Mar 2022, 11:24 (Ref:4104335)   #31
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Australia had plenty of questions to answer about its treatment of refugees and treatment of indigenous People.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 11:35 (Ref:4104336)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So the fact I didn’t mention Baku means my point is invalid? Ridiculous logic. FWIW I haven’t been thrilled with F1 going there either.

And yes, no country is perfect, but is it any coincidence that we don’t get these sorts of questions when we go to Silverstone, Spa or Monaco? Or Canada, Japan or Australia?
ah you know what, i wrote this long winded paragraph detailing how each of those countries has massive elephants in each of their rooms that they need to address but i can't figure out whether you're demanding we shame countries for their behaviour more or less.

it's virtue signalling, simple as that. you've not done the absolute basic research to know that f1 is stuck between a rock and a hard place and can't condemn nor endorse the missile attacks without putting themself in a very difficult position. i suspect the drivers were told exactly that and it's why the weekend will continue. this isn't ukraine.

again, the sport needs diplomats and academics on their advisory panels and stat because it's clear they're wading in murky territory that they don't understand well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Australia had plenty of questions to answer about its treatment of refugees and treatment of indigenous People.
thank you, this was exactly the path i was going down, similarly with canada and their treatment of native communities. the only thing all those countries had in common is that they were majority white and asian.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 11:43 (Ref:4104337)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt that there is one country (apart from possibly Monaco) that the F1 circus visits that doesn't have some skeletons in their cupboards.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 12:48 (Ref:4104345)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
similarly with canada and their treatment of native communities. the only thing all those countries had in common is that they were majority white and asian.
sadly true. our shortcomings as a society are also both historical and ongoing. US as well.

in terms of ongoing conflicts though, the level of violence, corruption, collateral damage, and death count, how does the drug war in Mexico rank among reasons to avoid other GP host nations?

this is not to say i think it doesnt matter where F1 goes. my concern beyond the immediate safety of the circus and fans is that this conflict in Saudi will only escalate until the regime falls. they wont be able to quell this rebellion as the Kingdome only seems capable of fueling it more.

this will be an annual issue with an ever increasing risk of violence being directed towards the F1 event.

actually surprised travel advisories havent been issued to limit non essential travel imo. Canada seems to only have a warning to avoid travel within 80 miles of the Yemen border. clearly the reach of the rebels is further then 80 miles now.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4104350)   #35
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that the word OIL answers many of your questions, Chilli. Also possibly arms sales.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 13:40 (Ref:4104351)   #36
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I doubt that there is one country (apart from possibly Monaco) that the F1 circus visits that doesn't have some skeletons in their cupboards.
Really? Even monaco has skeletons with all the money hidden there
Old 26 Mar 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4104352)   #37
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agree with this. Things like this fit on a scale. Probably multidimensional as well. But let's make it one dimensional and focus on just safety. I would argue that if an active conflict is as close as it currently is to the circuit, that proceeding would be questionable. Even if the circuit is not a target. My 2 cents is continue this weekend, but if nothing is substantial different going into next year, the race should be removed from the schedule.

Richard
Old 26 Mar 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4104354)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that the word OIL answers many of your questions, Chilli. Also possibly arms sales.
for Canada, while given we dont use much Saudi oil, we do benefit greatly (and possibly illegally) from arms sales and other investments funded by said oil.

also given the proximity to Mecca and with Ramadan, i believe starting soon, i suspect there would be even more challenges from issuing new travel bans or extending current ones as many Canadians have already begun their preparations to travel...and no doubt further complicated by covid restrictions lessening and an increase in demand to travel.

and of course every nation contending with similar issues and hesitancy in warning about travel.

multidimensional indeed.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4104356)   #39
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Back to track action from politics, FP3 closes with Leclerc just topping the table again, by 0.03 sec from Max, with Perex, Sainz and Bottas (!) next up, all within 0.3 of Leclerc. Hamilton 11th, just within the second slower than Leclerc....

2 hours until Qualy....tho it'll be longer for me as I'll wait until I watch C4 coverage
Old 26 Mar 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4104357)   #40
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's be honest here - if there was a terrorist attack 10 miles away from Silverstone on race weekend then the race would not go ahead. Especially if the target of such an attack was the main sponsor of the event.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 15:17 (Ref:4104358)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

Every country has it’s problems, but most of them are small beer compared to what others have to deal with. I feel privileged to live in a country where we can speak out against the government, wear what we like within reason and love who we want without being prosecuted.

F1 has to tread very carefully. 10 years ago it got a lot of bad publicity for not cancelling Bahrain, made worse by Bernie’s stupid attempts to justify going there. I just hope nothing bad happens for the rest of the weekend, but F1 might need to have a long hard think afterwards about whether to go back
Old 26 Mar 2022, 15:56 (Ref:4104365)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
They raced in Bahrain despite the protests, They travelled all the way to Australia despite a global pandemic clearly on everyone's doorstep...
F1 won't make the sensible decision until/unless it is the only choice left

In 2011 the Bahrain GP was cancelled due to protests, which were inspired by the unrest of the 2011 Arab Spring and the Australian GP was cancelled in 2020 and '21 due to Covid.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 16:28 (Ref:4104370)   #43
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
Let's be honest here - if there was a terrorist attack 10 miles away from Silverstone on race weekend then the race would not go ahead. Especially if the target of such an attack was the main sponsor of the event.
see: the london 7/7 attacks. literally on the eve of the event.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 16:46 (Ref:4104372)   #44
Beau2
Racer

Quote:
see: the london 7/7 attacks. literally on the eve of the event.
Except Silverstone is 70 miles from central London and with most teams and links based far closer to Silverstone than London. If 7/7 had occurred at Milton Keynes, Buckingham or Brackley then it would be an equal comparison.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:08 (Ref:4104374)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Q1 red flagged, as Latifi goes into the wall at Turn 13.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:14 (Ref:4104375)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
perhaps harsh to say, but Mazepin's removal really exposing Latifi as the least capable!
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4104376)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
wow Lewis out in q3!

retire mate its over!
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:27 (Ref:4104377)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Hamilton to start 16th.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:28 (Ref:4104378)   #49
Beau2
Racer

That's extraordinarily poor from Hamilton. Ok, the car isn't the best but his team mate is so much quicker.
Old 26 Mar 2022, 17:29 (Ref:4104379)   #50
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does the Hamilton excuse book cover missing out on Q2?