Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Apr 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4107967)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Two, Brands Hatch Indy 14-15 May, Races 4,5&6

After the first event in the new hybrid era for the BTCC, the paddock moves to Brands Hatch next for the first visit of two this season. We have seen the Indy circuit used for the opening rounds regularly in the past, but (as with 2021) the layout is hosting a later round having hosted the third meeting of 2021.

Brands has been a popular circuit for BTCC/BSCC meetings hosting no less than eight rounds and twelve championship races in the inaugural season. Given the association with series, it seems fitting that one of the class winners in the very first BSCC race was Jack Sears, with John Sprinzel the other class winner. That same day, Tommy Sopwith was also a class winner, and the two were tied at the end of the very first finals day, again at Brands Hatch before the shootout.
The layout back then would be very familiar to those racing this season, although with different corner names to those currently used. The design utilising the natural amphitheatre to create a layout that offers great viewing opportunities and significant elevation changes to challenge all types of racer.

The first time we saw NGTC machines running as constructor entries on the Indy circuit, the race wins were taken by Collard in a BMW, Neal in a Civic and Plato in an MG. The results were shared between RWD and FWD cars, and across a range of manufacturers. There appeared to be no specific advantage to any particular setup.

In 2021, Tom Oliphant, Tom Ingram and Adam Morgan claimed a win apiece around the tight and twisty 1.2-mile Indy layout, whilst consistency proved key for reigning champion Ash Sutton as the Laser Tools Racing star cemented his position at the top of the standings. Team BMW’s Oliphant took a hugely impressive victory in the opening race, having made a stellar getaway from the second row of the grid, before going on to fend off three-time champion Gordon Shedden. It was a richly deserved victory for Oliphant, the second of his BTCC career.
A second win of the season for Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com’s Ingram followed. The Hyundai man produced a last-lap lunge to secure victory in the second bout, as long-time leader Oliphant eventually lost out during a pulsating contest.
Adam Morgan then claimed the ninth victory of his BTCC career and the first for the new Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport BMW 330i M Sport, as the Lancastrian led from start-to-finish in the final race at the famous Kent venue. Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct’s Jack Goff – securing a maiden rostrum for the all-new Cupra – and Laser Tools Racing’s Aiden Moffat completed the podium with the pair having swapped positions twice during the contest.
The short circuit should mean that qualifying is tight, and fractions of a second could make a significant difference. This will be interesting when it comes to the first qualifying season with HEMS applied. Ingram will go into the weekend with no hybrid available for qualifying, and 15 laps without hybrid for race one. The nature of the circuit though may mean that a full 15 secs of hybrid a lap is not achievable.

With only 28 cars running at Donington Park, HARD. are due to announce a replacement driver for Goff, and the pressure will be on them to match the performance of Thompson and Taylor-Smith.
Other teams up and down the grid will be hoping to put the early season reliability issues behind them, and start to mount their challenges fully.

Qualifying is expected to be on the ITV Hub at www.itv.com/btcc, with the Sunday coverage on ITV4. The full timetable is as follows:

TimeActivityChampionshipLaps
Saturday, May 14   
09.00 – 09.20 Qualifying F4 British Championship  
09.30 – 10.10 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship  
10.30 – 10.45 Qualifying Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship  
10.55 – 11.25 Qualifying The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE  
11.35 – 11.55 Qualifying Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship  
12.05 – 12.45 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship  
12.45 – 13.25 Lunch Break  
13.25 Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
14.00 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 15 mins
14.35 – 15.05 Qualifying Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain  
15.15 Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
15.50 – 16.20 Qualifying Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship  
16.35 Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 15 mins
17.10 Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
17.45 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins

Sunday, May 15   
09.00 – 09.30 Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session  
10.00Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
10.40Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
11.15 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
11.30Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
12.10Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
12.35 – 13.20 Lunch Break  
13.20Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
13.55Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
14.30 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
14.45Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
15.25Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
16.05Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
16.40Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
17.15 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
17.30Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24

Early weather forecast shows that Saturday is forecast to be 14deg with a 0% chance of rain and fair.

Sunday 13deg with a 0% chance of rain and fair.
Old 25 Apr 2022, 11:10 (Ref:4107978)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
TV coverage will be split across 2 channels.

Coverage starts on ITV4 as normal at 11am, then switches to ITV at 2pm, and finally back to ITV4 at 5pm
Old 25 Apr 2022, 11:25 (Ref:4107985)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Coverage starts on ITV4 as normal at 11am, then switches to ITV at 2pm, and finally back to ITV4 at 5pm
Do you have a link confirming this?

I'm not challenging it - just wondering where this has been publicised that I might have missed, so that I can include such details in future?

The TOCA press release has stated that ITV4 will continue to provide all-day coverage, with the ITV coverage as being additional, not instead of.
Old 25 Apr 2022, 11:41 (Ref:4107988)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
My source is Steve Rider. That's what he read out from the on-screen caption at the end of this weekend ITV4 coverage.
Old 25 Apr 2022, 11:52 (Ref:4107990)   #5
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I've heard it too. It baffled me a bit to be honest. But for publicity it's better to have one race on ITV than a set of highlights at midnight during the week, I suppose.
Old 25 Apr 2022, 12:05 (Ref:4107994)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
My source is Steve Rider. That's what he read out from the on-screen caption at the end of this weekend ITV4 coverage.
Ah - didn't catch that.
Old 25 Apr 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4107995)   #7
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Hopefully not in the middle of a race!
Old 25 Apr 2022, 13:50 (Ref:4108006)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Hopefully not in the middle of a race!
Based on the timetable above, they might cut away from ITV a couple of laps before the end of the Mini Challenge race.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 14:14 (Ref:4108121)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'll be in Center Parks for this one, like Silverstone last year. Look forward to it
Old 30 Apr 2022, 21:30 (Ref:4108525)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Attached Thumbnails
20220430_222841.jpg  
Old 30 Apr 2022, 23:27 (Ref:4108530)   #11
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The BTCC website states the following:

Whilst ITV4 continues as the ‘home’ of the BTCC with its excellent all-day-live and free-to-air coverage of the UK’s premier motorsport series, both the Brands Hatch Indy (15 May) and Oulton Park (12 June) events will also be broadcast live on ITV for three hours on each race day.

That implies the ITV coverage is additional to the ITV4 coverage, but looks like it's not the case. Annoying

Last edited by CroftPilgrim; 30 Apr 2022 at 23:35.
Old 1 May 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4108545)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
That implies the ITV coverage is additional to the ITV4 coverage, but looks like it's not the case. Annoying
I flagged this up when the news was announced. The wording implies that it will be 3 hrs simulcast on both channels, which would be highly unusual for any sport. The more likely outcome would be for ITV to show BTCC whilst ITV4 show something completely different. That's exactly what I expected to happen and exactly what is going to happen.
Old 1 May 2022, 11:34 (Ref:4108561)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
What would be the point of simulcasting it?
Old 3 May 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4108732)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
As mentioned in the season thread - the grid will be back up to the full quota of 29, with Will Powell confirmed at HARD. for the rest of the season.
Old 4 May 2022, 17:39 (Ref:4108907)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Paul O'Neill's description of the ITV coverage:

'Remember for the next round of the BTCC @Brands_Hatch, we are on the @ITV
main channel for half of the show… AND as usual on @ITV4 for the full shebang!!'
Old 4 May 2022, 18:07 (Ref:4108910)   #16
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV posted the coverage details on their Twitter account today:

https://twitter.com/itvmotorsport

ITV4 11am
ITV1 2pm
ITV4 5pm

Strongly implies that it will only be on ITV1 from 2-5pm.
Old 4 May 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4108911)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
ITV posted the coverage details on their Twitter account today:

https://twitter.com/itvmotorsport

ITV4 11am
ITV1 2pm
ITV4 5pm

Strongly implies that it will only be on ITV1 from 2-5pm.
True.
And Dave Addison has been getting his weekends mixed up. Seems like it's confused everyone!
Old 5 May 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4108951)   #18
SSmith
Racer

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Updated race day [Sunday May 15th] timetable from the BARC

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...tchIndy_V5.pdf

Sunday, May 15

09.00 – 09.30 Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session
10.00 Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
10.35 Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
11.30 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
12.10 The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
12.45 Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
13.15 – 13.55 Lunch Break
13.55 BTCC Pit Lane Opens
14.10 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
14.50 F4 British Championship 20 mins
15.25 Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
16.00 BTCC Pit Lane Opens
16.15 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
17.00 Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
17.40 The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
Old 5 May 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4108955)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Well - for those who don't change channel from ITV4 on the 15th May, I can confirm that you will be experiencing:

1:55pm-2:55pm - Twins 'An unlikely pair of brothers, who were born as the result of a one-off genetic experiment and separated at birth, are reunited in adulthood. They set out on a cross-country search for their unknown mother - fending off vicious loan sharks and a professional assassin along the way. Comedy, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito, Kelly Preston and Chloe Webb'

2:55pm-3:00pm - FYI Daily 'Latest news from the world of entertainment.'

3:00pm-4:05pm - Twins

4:05pm-4:35pm - River Monsters 'Jeremy Wade returns to Africa's Okavango Delta to reinvestigate the tigerfish - a pack-hunting carnivore previously blamed for mauling the victims of a capsized boat. If these fish are as lethal as Jeremy concluded, then why aren't there more reports of fatal, piranha-like attacks? In a bid to flush out the true nature of these sight-hunting predators, Jeremy puts on his dive gear and offers himself as live bait'

4:35pm-4:55pm - Sport Filler Shows 'A look back at memorable stagings of the race from Epsom Downs. Featuring brilliant performances from Shergar to Sea The Stars, plus interviews with personalities from the worlds of sport and entertainment'

Of note -
The ITV4 coverage from 11:00am says 'Steve Rider presents coverage of the fourth race of the campaign'.
The ITV coverage from 2:00pm says 'Steve Rider presents coverage of the fifth and sixth races of the campaign'.
The ITV4 coverage from 4:55pm says 'Support race coverage from Brands Hatch, as the Porsche Carrera Cup and Mini Challenge championships finish off a busy day of racing on the Indy circuit.'

So what? The schedule for the day has changed from the initial timetable, with 2 of the 3 races being shown live on ITV. The updated timetable is:

TimeActivityChampionshipLaps
Saturday, May 14   
09.00 – 09.20QualifyingF4 British Championship 
09.30 – 10.10Free PracticeKwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
10.30 – 10.45QualifyingMichelin Ginetta Junior Championship 
10.55 – 11.25QualifyingThe Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 
11.35 – 11.55QualifyingMillers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 
12.05 – 12.45Free PracticeKwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
12.45 – 13.25Lunch Break  
13.25RaceF4 British Championship20 mins
14.00RaceMichelin Ginetta Junior Championship15 mins
14.35 – 15.05QualifyingPorsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 
15.15RaceThe Quaife MINI CHALLENGE20 mins
15.50 – 16.20QualifyingKwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
16.35RaceMillers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship15 mins
17.10RaceF4 British Championship20 mins
17.45RaceMichelin Ginetta Junior Championship20 mins
Sunday, May 15   
09.00 – 09.30Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session  
10.00RaceMillers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship20 mins
10.35Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
11.30Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
12.10Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
12.45Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
13.15 – 13.55 Lunch Break  
13.55 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
14.10Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
14.50Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
15.25Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
16.00 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
16.15Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 24
17.00Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 34
17.40Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins

Any incidents in R2 don't leave much time for repairs before R3....
Old 5 May 2022, 11:06 (Ref:4108960)   #20
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thanks for posting the timetable & TV Times. Hopefully my recorder will pick the correct programmes!
Old 5 May 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4108962)   #21
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The switch back to ITV4 straight after Race 3 is going to be interesting if there is any delay to the race schedule...
Old 5 May 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4108964)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
The switch back to ITV4 straight after Race 3 is going to be interesting if there is any delay to the race schedule...
Possibly - but I think there are other factors that will prevent any issues.

Firstly - delays in the schedule on the day are normally absorbed by other series, so that the BTCC sticks to the broadcast times (IIRC, we have even seen support races cancelled or postponed to keep the BTCC on time).
Secondly - they have 45 minutes to complete race 3. In 2021, the time to complete the races on the Indy circuit were:
R1 (24 laps) - 20 minutes.
R2 (27 laps) - 24 minutes (including 7 minutes of SC).
R3 (24 laps) - 19 minutes.

A full race distance at SC pace would be completed in 34 minutes.
Old 5 May 2022, 12:35 (Ref:4108970)   #23
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The spectators trackside will be delighted with the changes. Having a BTCC race as the last race of the day has been a major pain in the area for years. Means everyone rushes for the exit at the same time rather than spread over an hour or more with some staying for the last supports and some not.
Old 5 May 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4108987)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

There used to be a rule about having a minimum 90 mins between BTCC races. I recall once a support race was red-flagged/cancelled and we ended up being sat around for 15 mins with nothing happening on track whilst we waited for the 90 mins to elapse.

Not sure exactly when the clock starts (chequered flag vs cars back in pitlane) and when it finishes (pit lane open vs green flag) but the gap between R2 and R3 is cutting it fine.
Old 6 May 2022, 08:34 (Ref:4109038)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This will be the first time since 2007 that the BTCC will be broadcast live on the main ITV channel