Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 May 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4112041)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Four, Oulton Park 11-12 Jun, Races 10,11&12

Next up on the BTCC calendar for 2021 is Oulton Park. Traditionally seen as a RWD-favouring track, the FWD runners will be hoping to continue the success of FWD in 2021 and claim the top spots on the podium.

History
Oulton Park first appeared on the BSCC calendar in 1960, hosting a June meeting that saw Edward Lewis take the 1000cc win in an Austin A40 and Don Parker take the over 1000cc win and multi-class title in a Jaguar XK 150.

The circuit is relatively unchanged since that time, with the only major difference being the introduction of a chicane before Knickerbrook, making this a much safer corner nowadays.

The first time a full field of NGTC cars competed, the pole position was taken by Turkington in his BMW, and he followed this up with two wins and a third place. Collard also ran well, with only the third race seeing FWD cars on the podium.

Recent years have seen a trend of less dominance from RWD cars emerge. In 2020, pole and the first race podium were all taken by FWD cars, Butcher taking pole and a win. Morgan also got a win in the third race in his Mercedes, and of the nine podium spots across the weekend, five went to FWD runners.
In 2021, this continued with pole position and all three race wins going to FWD machinery. Of the nine podium spots on the day, six of them this time went to FWD runners.

Rowbottom took a popular maiden BTCC career victory in the opening race in Cheshire, before Toyota Gazoo Racing UK’s Butcher and BTC Racing’s Proctor each went on to chalk up their first success of the season. Halfords Racing with Cataclean kicked off proceedings by scoring a fantastic one-two, as Rowbottom edged out three-time champion team-mate Gordon Shedden.

The contest came down to a six-lap shootout after the initial bout was red-flagged following heavy contact in an incident involving Tom Oliphant (Team BMW), Chris Smiley (Ginsters EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com) and Rick Parfitt (EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com).

Much of the Honda duo’s progress was completed in the first segment as Shedden nipped by pole-sitter Proctor, whilst Rowbottom nearly flew from fourth to first with his own brilliant start.

The hard work could have been undone, however, when they were made to do it all again following a sizeable shunt on lap seven.

The Adrian Flux with Power Maxed Racing Vauxhall of Jason Plato and Oliphant’s BMW made contact at Lodge corner, which left the latter sprawled across the racetrack. The Hyundais of both Smiley and Parfitt unfortunately collected the stricken 3 Series and stewards were left with no option but to red flag the race.

Rowbottom made it stick on the restart as he blasted his #32 Honda Civic Type R around the outside of Shedden on the run down to turn one, and he subsequently went on to claim an outstanding triumph in front of a jubilant crowd.

Car Gods with Ciceley Motorsport’s?Adam Morgan got the better of Butcher and Stephen Jelley (Team BMW) in an eye-catching battle between the trio for the final place on the podium.

Butcher then clinched the first victory since his off-season switch to Toyota Gazoo Racing UK after the Scotsman made an incredible start in the second bout at the picturesque venue.
It was the seventh career success for Butcher, but it looked relatively unlikely with his Toyota Corolla lining up fourth on the grid.
A brave move around the outside of Morgan’s BMW at Cascades on the opening tour was immediately followed by a dynamic double, as he forcefully made his way past the Halfords Racing with Cataclean duo of Rowbottom and Shedden at Island Bend.

Butcher was already pulling clear by the conclusion of the first lap and he continued to extend that gap for the full 12-lap duration.

Rowbottom clinched second despite coming under race-long pressure from Morgan – both drivers expertly taking their second podium of the day.

BTC Racing’s Proctor eventually took the result that his pace clearly deserved as the Yorkshireman claimed victory in the final encounter.

Drama ensued from the outset – as it has done throughout the weekend – when the race was red-flagged on the first of two occasions, the latter incident ending the race ahead of schedule.

The first accident involved a pirouetting Ford Focus of Sam Osborne, which had been sent spiralling off-track by another rival, before catching out the likes of Jack Mitchell (Team HARD. with Autobrite Direct), Jade Edwards (PHSC with BTC Racing), Jack Butel (EXCELR8 with TradePriceCars.com) and several others, who were all involved in subsequent contact.

The restart was no less dramatic – this time it was reigning champion and standings leader Ash Sutton spinning out of contention as he attacked Proctor for the lead. The duo went side-by-side through Old Hall Corner before almost inevitable contact sent the #1 Laser Tools Racing car sliding down the order.
Sutton’s race was run as he tried to return when contact with Laser Tools Racing team-mate Carl Boardley finally ended his challenge.
Ironically, Boardley was involved in the accident that brought a high-speed end to proceedings with his Infiniti Q50 and Butcher’s Toyota Corolla careering into the barrier on lap eight.
When the dust settled on track it was Proctor’s Honda Civic Type R winning from Jelley’s 330i M Sport, the latter having been the brightest light for Team BMW throughout the weekend.
Shedden completed the podium as the experienced Scotsman enjoyed his most promising weekend of the season so far, as did Laser Tools Racing’s Aiden Moffat, who secured a top six hat-trick on the day.

Coverage
Qualifying will be on the ITV Hub at www.itv.com/btcc, with the Sunday coverage again being split between ITV and ITV4. The full timetable will be posted once it is available. Oulton Park has a later start for on-track action on a Sunday, which means that the BTCC races may bookend the day.

Track

Early weather forecast shows that the weekend forecast is for 18deg temperatures with a 50% chance of rain.
Old 30 May 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4112049)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jake Hill for pole !
Old 30 May 2022, 14:49 (Ref:4112054)   #3
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Jake Hill for pole !
Would be my pick, think the grid will look very similar to Brands, at least in the dry.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:01 (Ref:4112057)   #4
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkington for pole, Cook, Ingram and Shedden in the next 3 slots
Old 30 May 2022, 15:03 (Ref:4112059)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Will miss this round as in Le mans watch slightly different cars go round
Old 30 May 2022, 15:23 (Ref:4112063)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst it would not be a surprise to see a BMW take pole, it would be slightly against form.
Since 2008, only two poles have been taken by a BMW, with the breakdown:

Honda - 4
BMW - 2
Ford - 2
MG - 2
Chevrolet - 1
Subaru - 1
SEAT - 1
VW - 1

On form - the expectation would be a Cook pole.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4112066)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
When I think of Oulton & BTCC, I always think of Shedden. That would be where my money would be for pole, despite a fairly low key Thruxton. But, hey - what do I know?
Old 30 May 2022, 17:10 (Ref:4112111)   #8
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

no boost as table leader

and this track does have quite a few start / stop sections where it's needed
Old 30 May 2022, 18:53 (Ref:4112125)   #9
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So coverage starts after midday... presumably we're going to miss even more of the support races?
Old 30 May 2022, 19:03 (Ref:4112126)   #10
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
So coverage starts after midday... presumably we're going to miss even more of the support races?
Racing on the Sunday at Oulton Park doesn’t get going until after midday. Then there’s no lunch break thereafter.

Full timetable now published on BTCC website for all the race times.
Old 30 May 2022, 19:04 (Ref:4112127)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
BMW still suffering from excessive rear tyre wear it would seem going by Thruxton’s form. This has been the trait for years though even with the 1 series. I guess it’s something they can’t do much about.
Old 30 May 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4112128)   #12
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
When I think of Oulton & BTCC, I always think of Shedden. That would be where my money would be for pole, despite a fairly low key Thruxton. But, hey - what do I know?
I’m going for Plato or Rowbottom to land pole for Oulton. Civic + lots of hybrid time = pole?
Old 30 May 2022, 21:41 (Ref:4112144)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, this is one of the tracks where you always see them all.
Old 31 May 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4112191)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Current timetable:

TimeActivityChampionshipLaps
Saturday, June 11   
09.05 – 09.35 Qualifying Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain
09.45 – 10.25 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
10.45 – 11.05 Qualifying F4 British Championship 
11.15 – 11.35 Qualifying Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 
11.45 – 12.15 Qualifying The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 
12.25 – 13.05 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
13.05 – 13.45 Lunch Break  
13.45 – 14.05 Qualifying Ginetta GT Academy
14.15 Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 18
14.55 Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
15.30 – 16.00 Qualifying Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship
16.15 Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
16.50 RaceThe Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
17.25 Race Ginetta GT Academy 20 mins

Sunday, June 12   
10.30 – 11.05 Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session  
12.05 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
12.20Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
13.00Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
13.35Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 20 mins
14.10 RaceThe Quaife MINI CHALLENGE 20 mins
14.45 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
15.00Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
15.40Race Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 18
16.20Race Ginetta GT Academy 20 mins
16.55 BTCC Pit Lane Opens  
17.10Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
17.45Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
Old 31 May 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4112193)   #15
Evantra
Veteran

England
Two F4 races on the broadcast again, huh...
Old 31 May 2022, 09:36 (Ref:4112194)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
As would be expected. All support series have one race on the Saturday.
Old 31 May 2022, 13:11 (Ref:4112220)   #17
t4tinks
Rookie

t4tinks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what are the chances of the last race happening given Oulton's curfew?
Old 3 Jun 2022, 15:24 (Ref:4112686)   #18
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the latest timetable Version 4

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...tonPark_V4.pdf
Old 3 Jun 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4112687)   #19
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the latest timetable Version 4

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...tonPark_V4.pdf
Old 3 Jun 2022, 16:17 (Ref:4112696)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
TV Coverage details:

12:10 - 15:10 - ITV
15:05 - 18:35 - ITV4

So, races 1&2 will be on ITV, with the 3rd race on ITV4.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 17:10 (Ref:4113597)   #21
porsche962fan
Veteran

any forecast ? dry or wet ?
Old 8 Jun 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4113608)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yes!
Old 8 Jun 2022, 18:32 (Ref:4113619)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Plenty.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 20:13 (Ref:4113635)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst it would not be a surprise to see a BMW take pole, it would be slightly against form.
Since 2008, only two poles have been taken by a BMW, with the breakdown:

Honda - 4
BMW - 2
Ford - 2
MG - 2
Chevrolet - 1
Subaru - 1
SEAT - 1
VW - 1

Qualifying times over the years at Oulton Park - Turkington and Plato have been very fast over 1 lap in recent times...
Old 8 Jun 2022, 20:57 (Ref:4113641)   #25
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Plenty.
I mean a newer more accurate one as we move closer to the event