Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4117963)   #51
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Leclerc faster than sainz with front wing damage. Sainz really underwhelms me if I’m honest.
Stand by this but it’s great that he’s got his first victory. Some of that action in the last 12 laps was sublime, heart was genuinely racing. So exciting
Old 3 Jul 2022, 16:22 (Ref:4117964)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Carlos Sainz.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 16:22 (Ref:4117965)   #53
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff at the end. What a race. Congrats Sainz. Time to dust off the 1 hit wonder thread.....
Old 3 Jul 2022, 17:10 (Ref:4117985)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crazy race. Kudos to Mick for not settling for his position and fighting Max until the end.

Richarc
Old 3 Jul 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4117988)   #55
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Riciardo finishes behind Lattifi and Stroll ……..funny old World….
Old 3 Jul 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4117991)   #56
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that was probably the best race for some time, ok the accident was a bad one but luckily no serious injuries althogh i suspect a few sore days for one. A great british GP and looking forward to the austrian one now
Old 3 Jul 2022, 18:14 (Ref:4118003)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Riciardo finishes behind Lattifi and Stroll ……..funny old World….

What has happened to Ricciardo?
Old 3 Jul 2022, 18:36 (Ref:4118004)   #58
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
That was a brilliant race. I will just leave my full review here as I had a lot to say about this Grand Prix.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 18:57 (Ref:4118007)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Really glad that Zhou is OK.

Amazed that none of the commentary team know that a lap one red flag means a restart in original grid order, as has been the case for a very long time.
This isn't the rules anymore. The race restarts in the order over the last timing line. A couple of cars had not cleared the second safety car line when the red was flown. A couple of seconds later would've been a very different restart.

Also, interestingly, the race wasn't red flagged due to Zhou. It was track invaders on Wellington Straight. The first race control message was Yellow Flag in Sector 2, before the cars had arrived. Then Yellow Flag in Sector 1 for the accident. Then Red Flag less than 5 seconds after the accident begun - which was triggered by the marshals on the Wellington Straight.

Onboards from the cars on F1TV showed the protestors on the left hand side of the track by the time the cars got there, at significantly reduced speed.

Race control have been very poor the last couple of years. Today, they were outstanding.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4118011)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought TV direction was pretty poor. So there was a lot of fast paced action in the last 12 laps, so it might have caught them out, but even then, the director at times cut AWAY from active on track action to show fan reactions in the stands. And I believe also cut away from action to show replays of prior action.

I would say a golden rule is that if there is action happening right then... keep it on the cars. Only cut away to other stuff (fans, replays, Tom Cruise, etc.) when things are more static on the track. If you must try to show multiple things, then use picture in picture.

Richard
Old 3 Jul 2022, 19:13 (Ref:4118016)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What has happened to Ricciardo?
Hmmm. He's not just lost his mojo, someone has stolen it and had it delivered somewhere far away by Hermes. He'll be very lucky to ever get it back now (and certainly not in one piece).....
Old 3 Jul 2022, 19:45 (Ref:4118035)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Also, interestingly, the race wasn't red flagged due to Zhou. It was track invaders on Wellington Straight. The first race control message was Yellow Flag in Sector 2, before the cars had arrived. Then Yellow Flag in Sector 1 for the accident. Then Red Flag less than 5 seconds after the accident begun - which was triggered by the marshals on the Wellington Straight.

Onboards from the cars on F1TV showed the protestors on the left hand side of the track by the time the cars got there, at significantly reduced speed.

Race control have been very poor the last couple of years. Today, they were outstanding.

I watched the race live and presumed it had been red flagged because of the crash. There was no mention of protesters on the track until some time later.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 19:57 (Ref:4118038)   #63
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I thought TV direction was pretty poor. So there was a lot of fast paced action in the last 12 laps, so it might have caught them out, but even then, the director at times cut AWAY from active on track action to show fan reactions in the stands. And I believe also cut away from action to show replays of prior action.

I would say a golden rule is that if there is action happening right then... keep it on the cars. Only cut away to other stuff (fans, replays, Tom Cruise, etc.) when things are more static on the track. If you must try to show multiple things, then use picture in picture.

Richard
Agreed, I couldn't believe that we watched loads of Schumacher as the race was in it's last laps !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Jul 2022, 22:13 (Ref:4118089)   #64
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmmm. He's not just lost his mojo, someone has stolen it and had it delivered somewhere far away by Hermes. He'll be very lucky to ever get it back now (and certainly not in one piece).....
Sadly, I think you're right. Not that I was ever an over-the-top Danny-fanboy but I never like to see a driver go into a steep decline like that. I think the only way out now is to re-invent himself as a back-of-the-grid elder statesman, as Vettel has done.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 22:31 (Ref:4118092)   #65
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This isn't the rules anymore. The race restarts in the order over the last timing line. A couple of cars had not cleared the second safety car line when the red was flown. A couple of seconds later would've been a very different restart.
Yeah - blame that on the hour here in Oz as I watched it live - brain fade from me! LOL

Man that was an enthralling race - watched it live (started at Midnight Sunday night here) and was wide awake (ish) the whole way through.

Very pleased for the smooth operator that he has the monkey off his back. So many "nearly" stories amongst those near the front and so glad that Zhou was OK after that shunt.
Old 3 Jul 2022, 23:57 (Ref:4118094)   #66
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello everyone

Trust me - given I was holding Zhou's car against the fence - that the red flag flew for the crash. The protesters, although a nuisance, chose their timing very poorly indeed.

That accident was the most extreme and violent I've seen close up, and I've seen a few. When I saw the thumb up from one of the team I was very relieved indeed. And then we needed to stabilise the car to let the extrication team do their thing. Outcome: favourable, although I expect he'll feel a bit sore tomorrow!

I definitely didn't have "car lands behind barrier" on my bingo card.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 05:12 (Ref:4118113)   #67
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hello everyone

Trust me - given I was holding Zhou's car against the fence - that the red flag flew for the crash. The protesters, although a nuisance, chose their timing very poorly indeed.

That accident was the most extreme and violent I've seen close up, and I've seen a few. When I saw the thumb up from one of the team I was very relieved indeed. And then we needed to stabilise the car to let the extrication team do their thing. Outcome: favourable, although I expect he'll feel a bit sore tomorrow!

Thank you for doing what you do. Seeing the full crash the first time, I was much more concerned about the people at the track than the driver cause at least the driver is in a very well protected shell.

That section of the barrier seems quite prone to high speeds impacts. I can imagine changes being made for the future.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 05:36 (Ref:4118115)   #68
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hello everyone

I must admit initially I thought that the top of the roll over hoop had been compromised as when the car was skating upside down it seemed there was less air space between the roll hoop area and road surface than seemed normal.

At the end of the day whatever was damaged be it it fencing, roll hoop or whatever the end result of zero injuries to spectators marshals or driver (beyond being shaken and no doubt bruised) speaks highly of the various protective elements. However I believe it was good fortune no Grosjean like conflagration occured as from the cars end position the outcome would have been different.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 06:57 (Ref:4118120)   #69
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Well, that was fun.

People were rightly concerned and asking about Zhou, but are there any updates on Albon, who was sent to hospital?

The protesters could not have picked a worse time to glue themselves to the track or have their sit on, or wahterever it was that they were doing, as it seemed to have absolutely no impact on anything in the end and generated no air time at all. I only found out that it happened by accident.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 06:59 (Ref:4118121)   #70
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
People were rightly concerned adn asking about Zhou, but are there any updates on Albon, who was sent to hospital?
'We are pleased to confirm that Alex has been given the all clear and has been discharged from Coventry Hospital. Thank you to everyone for your well wishes.'

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/s...75921365884928
Old 4 Jul 2022, 07:59 (Ref:4118124)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope everyone understands that I'm not at liberty to mention anything further about the incident excepting that we were all ok, so was Zhou, and despite quibbling over minimum weight of cars they are bloody heavy (and hot!) when you're one of three people using your own weight to hold it vertically against the fence!

What wasn't shown on TV, obviously, was the application of years of experience by a group of people who "play with racing cars" at weekends. I'm really proud of the way the team handled it - from Dr Ian Roberts down to the bloke doing his second Grand Prix. That was a very complex extrication!
Old 4 Jul 2022, 08:01 (Ref:4118125)   #72
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The protesters could not have picked a worse time to glue themselves to the track or have their sit on, or wahterever it was that they were doing, as it seemed to have absolutely no impact on anything in the end and generated no air time at all. I only found out that it happened by accident.
So did we! I heard a radio call about someone on the track but ignored it because I was busy, and then nothing more was said because we had radio priority.

Spectacularly bad timing.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 08:28 (Ref:4118132)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I must admit initially I thought that the top of the roll over hoop had been compromised as when the car was skating upside down it seemed there was less air space between the roll hoop area and road surface than seemed normal.
Pre-halo the roll hoop needed to be taller to give the clearance for the drivers head if the car ended up upside down (there used to be an imaginary line drawn from the top of the roll hoop to the front of the cockpit - the drivers head had to be under that line.). With the halo in place the drivers head is already protected so the airbox doesn't need to be as strong so high up any more.

Quote:
What wasn't shown on TV, obviously, was the application of years of experience by a group of people who "play with racing cars" at weekends. I'm really proud of the way the team handled it - from Dr Ian Roberts down to the bloke doing his second Grand Prix. That was a very complex extrication!
This is something that all competitors are grateful for - when we go and compete we know that if something does go wrong we've got the best people available to help
Old 4 Jul 2022, 09:25 (Ref:4118144)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I hope everyone understands that I'm not at liberty to mention anything further about the incident excepting that we were all ok, so was Zhou, and despite quibbling over minimum weight of cars they are bloody heavy (and hot!) when you're one of three people using your own weight to hold it vertically against the fence!

Well done to you and your colleagues Greem, it's times like this when the value of you wonderful bunch of orange clad volunteers can really be appreciated.
I do have a question (which I appreciate that you may not be able to answer) but I was surprised when I saw the medical car arrive at the accident (on TV) it stopped what looked like a very long way away meaning that the Doctor had to then run to the car which took quite some time. Presumably this is a procedural thing?
Old 4 Jul 2022, 09:36 (Ref:4118147)   #75
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I do have a question (which I appreciate that you may not be able to answer) but I was surprised when I saw the medical car arrive at the accident (on TV) it stopped what looked like a very long way away meaning that the Doctor had to then run to the car which took quite some time. Presumably this is a procedural thing?
I think, in this incident, the fact there were three badly damaged cars meant they stopped the minimum distance from all three - yes, there was running involved but if they'd come all the way to Zhou's side it would have delayed getting to Albon. I am only presuming here, though, as I was also running!