Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jan 2003, 15:01 (Ref:478234)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pook completes phase one of CART rebuilding plan

David Coffin Pitstop

A little over a year ago, CART was in big trouble. Many had already written the obit for North America's premier open-wheel racing series.

Enter Christopher R. Pook, the knight in shinning armor riding his trusty steed (a 28-year history of building and running one of the most successful races in America -- the Long Beach Grand Prix) to rescue the damsel in distress.

The naysayers said, "too little, too late." Pook said, "Not so fast. There is still hope."

Pook's first goal was to stabilize the series that has seen some of the most famous names in racing grace its podiums -- people such as Mario and Michael Andretti, Al Unser Sr. and Jr., A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, Danny Sullivan, Bobby Rahal, Johnny Rutherford, Emerson Fittipaldi and on and on.

Friday, Pook, the president and CEO of what is now known as Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford, was at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for the track's grand opening of the first phase of its permanent garages and pit row suites.

I had the opportunity to chat for about a half hour prior to the ceremony and Pook was pleased to say "mission accomplished."

"We have stabilized the series and created a platform on which to move forward," Pook said. "We have welcomed three really top new owners to the series."

Those new owners include former CART and F1 driver Stefan Johansson and his American Spirit team, partners Craig Pollock and Kevin Kalkhoven (PK Racing) and Paul Gentilozzi, the giant in Trans-Am competition who is bringing his Rocketsports Racing team to the fray

The circuit has also changed some rules to, as Pook said, "bring driving back to driving and racing back to racing."

For the next two seasons, all teams will be powered by identical Ford-Cosworth engines and chassis development has been frozen.

In addition, horsepower has been reduced to about 750 (down from around 900), traction control has been eliminated, gone is the button the drivers had on their steering wheels to lean the fuel mixture (for fuel economy runs) and the aero-dynamic package has been improved.

As Pook's "rookie" season at the helm progressed, he promised the Champ Car World Series would return to Europe. He delivered a road race at Brands Hatch, England and an oval event in Germany, both scheduled for May.

He promised a minimum of 18 cars and a maximum of 22 in the field for 2003. At the season-opener February 21-23 in St. Petersburg, Fla, there will be 19 on the grid and by midseason, he said, there will most likely be 21.

He speculated night racing might be an attractive feature. This week, it was announced the Milwaukee Mile (an oval race) and the Cleveland Grand Prix (on a temporary road circuit) will be run under the lights.

"It's the versatility of our series," Pook said.

While some veteran drivers have left the series this year, there is a strong core of competitors returning and that was bolstered Friday by the announcement that Alex Tagliani (who had been with Player's/Forsythe) has signed with Rocketsports.

There is a strong influx of drivers with Formula 3000 and F3 experience such as Joel Camathias (Dale Coyne Racing), Mario Haberfeld (Mi-Jack Conquest Racing) and 2002 Formula 3000 champ Sebastian Bourdais (who is about to sign with Newman/Haas Racing to team with Bruno Junqueira).

One of Pook's goals is to get more American drivers in the series, but that is going to take a bit more time. Two who should be announced next week to drive for Johansson are 1996 CART champion Jimmy Vasser, who grew up in Morgan Hill, and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Pook explained that one of the challenges young talent in the CART ladder system is facing is the huge jump in horsepower from Toyota Atlantic machines to Champ Cars. Right now, the Atlantic cars feature 265 horsepower engines.

"That's a big jump," Pook said. "We have definite plans to make changes in the Toyota Atlantic series."

Next weekend (Jan. 25-26), the Champ Car World Series will hold an open test session at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Pook expects about 8-10 cars to participate, which should give local fans a solid preview of what the series will look like.

Then, Feb. 4-6, the series will hold its annual Spring Training event, this year in Sebring, Fla. and 16-18 cars are expected.

"It's been a lot of hard work by a lot of people, but the series is clearly stabilized," Pook said. "Our whole focus now is 2005."

That's when the Champ Car World Series will go to a normally-aspirated V-10 engine and there are a host of manufacturers who have expressed interest in participating, including Honda and Toyota, who left this year for the IRL.

"I feel a lot better going into 2003 than I did in 2002," Pook said. "I'm excited. We can really start taking off now with this company. This series has so much potential
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:29 (Ref:478386)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pook has done wonders in the last year !.......like he said , he has gave the series a platform of stability on which they can work forward to developing the series over the next 2 years......

he is even going to change the cars fuel from methanol to petrol and take away refueling pit stops !...

its looking better all the time .
Old 18 Jan 2003, 23:20 (Ref:478553)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pook for President!
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:20 (Ref:478613)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and there are a host of manufacturers who have expressed interest in participating, including Honda and Toyota, who left this year for the IRL.
Knew Toyota had said that they would be back in 2005 but interesting that Honda are also keen. Split there efforts in '05 onward or come back and run Champcars exclusive I wonder.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:35 (Ref:478629)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like most everything Pook has done except the V10 gasoline engine idea.

Maybe from the inside he sees he clearly has to do it to stay alive but, from the outside looking in it clearly sucks as far as I'm concerned.

You've gotta love the smell of methanol and the sound of a turbo's whine and chirp.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 17:03 (Ref:479122)   #6
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, do they still hold road races way out 21st so by Magna?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 22:48 (Ref:479459)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
N-N:

Indeed they do. What used to be Bonneville Raceway Park was completely rebuilt into Rocky Mountain Raceway. It's much cleaner and nicer than it used to be, they lenghtened the oval but its still very short. They did improve (recreate) the roadcourse. It's about 2 miles. They run mostly bikes on it and occasionally cars. The dragstrip functions as the main straight and the bigger bikes hit around 150mph before they need to brake into the first turn. I can get my Z-car to about a buck twenty.

The downside is they've really focused on burning circles and drag racing.

Last edited by Flatspot; 19 Jan 2003 at 22:52.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 02:14 (Ref:479617)   #8
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, I ran one of Dave Strongs 914 2L 4cly off the used car lot, at Porche club event. I was lucky to split two 914-6 and take a 2nd. About 84 I think. Fun course, sounds like the road part is about the same.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 18:58 (Ref:480282)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
N-N:

I always like talking it up with the home boys but we should probably do it through Private Messaging as opposed to cluttering up the forums with issues not pertenant to the threads. Feel free to catch me there.

Thanks!