Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3821688)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 7,8 and 9 Thruxton 2018

Next weekend the BTCC cars go to the fastest track in the UK which means its the normal no soft tyre round. I wonder if there any more safety impovements after last year one of the races was stop for a hour to repair the armco
Old 12 May 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3821748)   #2
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the circuit from above via Google Maps satellite, significant changes can be seen at and around Church corner and its run-off area:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.20.../data=!3m1!1e3

I assume this is part of the work to re-profile the run-off to make it slope uphill rather than down.
Old 12 May 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3821803)   #3
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Good to see 😀

Simon Belchers accident the other year was truly terrifying to watch. Thankfully both Simon and the Toyota were tough old things!
Old 13 May 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3822055)   #4
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year's race winners were Neal, Collard and Turkington.

Honda are going to be very, very strong as usual round Thruxton. The Mercs will be right up there too, but I think it will be Motorbase coming in with 3 racing winning drivers, an ideally suited car and little / no success ballast who will have the best weekend.
Old 17 May 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3823033)   #5
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this time, the luck will be on the Chilton and Tordoff's side. They're faster than their results indicate. I think Cammish will be one of the favourites to win.
Old 17 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3823073)   #6
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I'm fancying Eurotech and Norlin this weekend. The old Honda is very good as are Goff and Smiley. Nash and Smith are getting there...

Think the new Honda will be good but not yet good enough. Expecting the Subarus to be at the wrong end of the grid. Would like to see Mr Collard pick up a win!
Old 17 May 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3823101)   #7
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Looking at the circuit from above via Google Maps satellite, significant changes can be seen at and around Church corner and its run-off area:

I assume this is part of the work to re-profile the run-off to make it slope uphill rather than down.
that reprofiling was like that last year.
Old 17 May 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3823105)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what the high temperatures will do for the tyres at the Hampshire speed bowl.
Old 18 May 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3823168)   #9
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post

The google earth picture of Thruxton is dated 9th of April last year so that's the way the track was raced last time around.
Old 18 May 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3823171)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Hopefully this time, the luck will be on the Chilton and Tordoff's side. They're faster than their results indicate. I think Cammish will be one of the favourites to win.
I agree, so far Motorbase appear to have had everything but good luck. The cars clearly have pace and the drivers can all peddle well. Hopefully this weekend the gods will shine on them favourably.
Old 18 May 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3823172)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I wonder what the high temperatures will do for the tyres at the Hampshire speed bowl.
If it’s hot, you can bet that Gow will limit the number of laps because the FWD cars will get tyre failures otherwise. They could always use less front left camber, but yknow, politics and all that.
Old 18 May 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3823176)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Been a few weeks, so glad BTCC is back this weekend. Hopefully we'll have more surprises in store
Old 18 May 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3823181)   #13
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I agree, so far Motorbase appear to have had everything but good luck. The cars clearly have pace and the drivers can all peddle well. Hopefully this weekend the gods will shine on them favourably.
wonder if Chilton regrets not staying in the Astra as ginger demonstrated
Old 18 May 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3823184)   #14
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wonder if Chilton regrets not staying in the Astra as ginger demonstrated
Honestly saying I doubt it. The Focus is also very pacey
Old 18 May 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3823185)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If it’s hot, you can bet that Gow will limit the number of laps because the FWD cars will get tyre failures otherwise. They could always use less front left camber, but yknow, politics and all that.
Expect safety cars for just about anything - gives the tyres a breather and can reduce the number of laps (I know they add laps on if the safety car is out - but only up to a point).
Old 18 May 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3823186)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Cole has been the most consistent Focus driver so far
Old 18 May 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3823187)   #17
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Cole has been the most consistent Focus driver so far
Only in terms of Chilton and Tordoff being more unfortunate during the actual races. Good to see him doing well none the less. Cole really seems to have improved after last year's pole and win at BMR. There had been comments of that win was down to lack of ballast and boost adjustments, but at the end the day he still had to be able to drive the car.
He certainly seems to have gelled with the RS, not quite as fast as his stablemates have been, but he has been close on times and his battling craft during races is a lot more committed than he seemed to be in the past. Certainly wouldn't have expected him to be the lead Motorbase driver after both race meetings.
My concern over how quick the Eurotech Honda's have been so far means Simpson is qualifying too far up the grid. I get unnerved for anyone in his vicinity during the races.
Old 18 May 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3823300)   #18
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweepstakes on how far up the field that backmarker gentleman driver Jason Plato gets his Subaru on Sunday? My guess is 17th.

I don't really understand why he's seemingly content with bumbling around miles off the pace. What's happened to the passion, the fire, the dirty tricks? At this moment it'd actually be less strange if he left the team mid-season rather than sticking it out in this purgatory.
Old 18 May 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3823302)   #19
porsche962fan
Veteran

JP is 30th in the standings around folks like Smelt, Jelley , Thompson

oh how the mighty have fallen ...

hope WSR finally sorted out Colin's electric gremlins , maybe Dick needs to call some priests to perform some exorcism on that car
Old 18 May 2018, 20:12 (Ref:3823304)   #20
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Sweepstakes on how far up the field that backmarker gentleman driver Jason Plato gets his Subaru on Sunday? My guess is 17th.

I don't really understand why he's seemingly content with bumbling around miles off the pace. What's happened to the passion, the fire, the dirty tricks? At this moment it'd actually be less strange if he left the team mid-season rather than sticking it out in this purgatory.
So I've been totally out of the loop for years but have caught up on seasons past over the last few months. Really excited to see the full grids, different marques and so many potential race winners. But what has gone wrong for Plato? It seemed like he was well able to keep up with the development of the Subaru when he first drove it in 2016 but in the space of a few months (beginning of 2017) he just completely fell off the saddle...it's one thing to see such a fiery and successful driver get 'past it' but it's almost like two complete extremes from one season to the next and that is strange. Is there some detail I'm missing? The wiki page says that an accident in early 2017 broke his chassis which plagued him for the rest of the year but that seems a little nonsensical.
Old 18 May 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3823314)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

He just seems to give up when the car is not to his liking
Old 19 May 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3823355)   #22
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
In sharp contrast to the season so far, looks like it's going to be hot and sunny over the weekend. Hopefully we don't see a repeat of 2016's punctures!
Old 19 May 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3823357)   #23
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post

Honestly, I think Oulton and Croft will decide it. If he can't be in the top ten in the RWD tracks then I don't think he'll be back for Snetterton. This weekend I'm expecting "the car isn't suited to the circuit" excuses!

Last edited by luckn002; 19 May 2018 at 09:43.
Old 19 May 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3823372)   #24
porsche962fan
Veteran

Cammish top in FP2 along side Turks

did Dick really do exorcism on that car ? Turks really needs a good weekend for once
Old 19 May 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3823375)   #25
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He just seems to give up when the car is not to his liking
But then why remain for third year? I think he needs to get his act together before the season is out or he'll have difficulty getting back on the pace. The new crop of young guns (Ingram, Smiley, Cammish, Cook, Morgan et al) are not going to make it easy for the wiley old fox. Those boys can race hard!