Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Jun 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1642365)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes F3 engine pics & details?.....

Can someone shed a little light on this new Mercedes F3 engine that is currently doing the business on the UK scene.......I heard somewhere is has a really low centre of gravity, low ancillaries, and is about 20Kg lighter than a honda???.....is the power comparable to a honda or not?.....dunno how true all that is.......does anyone have any pictures of it?......who designed and developed it?......Ilmor???......
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1642412)   #2
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the F3 website there is a media file download available on the cars, which gives details on the Mugen Honda and the Mercedes engines (Page 5)
Click Here - http://www.fota.co.uk/downloads.php?event=2&season=2005
The file is called 'The Cars' and is a pdf (adbobe Acrobat) file.
Hope this helps
Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1642464)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That file is quite interesting, macsport, but not quite the information knighty was after, I think. Mercedes have given a very conservative figure for the power output, as have Mugen-Honda.

Incidentally the colours of the Lola-Dome look pretty weird - is it a negative?

Getting back to the Mercedes, it is tuned by HWA in Germany (the Mugen-Honda is prepared by Neil Brown Engineering) and, yes, it does have all the benefits you mention. The way the engine is mounted is very interesting and that's partly the reason for the low centre of gravity, but it's also very rigid. It's based on the Mercedes A Class engine, so is fundamentally light and small. It's taken them about 3 years to achieve near domination.

We keep hearing that one of its advantages is the driveability and the extra torque from low revs, so people thought the engine would have a definite edge at Mondello, but it didn't turn out that way did it? NBE must have done a very good job with their new engine, which was specifically produced to counter the Mercedes.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1642603)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
those benefits are over the NBE Mugen rather than the new works Honda or Toda-Honda in use in Japan
Old 27 Jun 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1642617)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so how are these new honda units better than the old ones? i'm assuming they're from a different original than the nbe one we use round here?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1642700)   #6
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
That file is quite interesting, macsport, but not quite the information knighty was after, I think. Mercedes have given a very conservative figure for the power output, as have Mugen-Honda.

Incidentally the colours of the Lola-Dome look pretty weird - is it a negative?
While not answering all of Knighty's questions the file does give a comparison between the two engines currently being used in British F3 (Championship Class) this season.
The Lola Dome image must have corrupted when I converted the file into a PDF. I've sorted the file out now and a new version of the file is available via the above link.
The output figures are the official figures received from NBE and HWA. We all know that manufacturers like to keep certain things secret.
I'll leave it to you more knowledgable types to fill the gaps in here.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1643245)   #7
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's more than the output figures in those spec sheets that fiction.......

The "works" Mugen engines (XJ6) are based on the F20C road car engine found in the S2000. Much of the good bits from the previous MF204/XH series engiens found it's way into the road engines like the main bearing setup and other lessons learnt. And that engine still comes from NBE anyway. The older XH6 (the national class engine) is the last in line of the old B/H series based engines.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1643295)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, Chucky. I've desperately been trying to remember where the base engine for the XJ6 Mugen-Honda engine comes from, but now you mention it I do recall someone telling me it is the Honda S2000.

And you're right about the National Class engine, too. The XH6 engine was used in the Championship Class in recent years until NBE had to upgrade this season to take on the Mercedes.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1643314)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
XJ6 - is the same as the popular CN proto engine too I think - lovely to drive. Honda are very cagey indeed about the new engine (in fact I wasn't allowed to see it properly or take pics of it - whereas Dome tended to let me photograph everything) I'm pretty sure its from a different base unit to the XJ6/S2000 engine. Quite what I'm not sure but certainly - Honda / M-Tec are being super tight on data about it it is called the MF204-C and even the Mugen site lacks pics of it

Last edited by ss_collins; 28 Jun 2006 at 11:02.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1643323)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
There's more than the output figures in those spec sheets that fiction.......
Out of interest, what would you say they are then?
Old 28 Jun 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1643437)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Heard from my man in Japan - the architecture of the Jap spec mugen is the same - but it is different in a numberof ways to the NBE lump. Apparently NBE 'do a little tuning and ECU stuff' and that about it - where as the works engines are more seriously done by M-Tec (Mugen)
Old 29 Jun 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1644064)   #12
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
merc f3

interesting stuff chaps - it dosent surprise me the merc lump is more drivable, the bore is smaller than the honda and the stroke is therefore longer ......hence with a longer throw crank I would expect the merc to have more torque - this is confirmed by torque data comparing the two engines on the F3 site........as the old saying goes "power sells engines, torque wins races"

they seem to be as rare as the proverbial rocking horse brown stuff, but some piccies of the merc F3 engine will be very interesting to see.....anyone?
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1644542)   #13
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Heard from my man in Japan - the architecture of the Jap spec mugen is the same - but it is different in a numberof ways to the NBE lump. Apparently NBE 'do a little tuning and ECU stuff' and that about it - where as the works engines are more seriously done by M-Tec (Mugen)
Unfortunately, head office is better at marketing shiny bits for cars than real work. I think you'll find the info flow is the other way around.

Some pics from Bart's test.

Old 6 Jul 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1649761)   #14
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
they seem to be as rare as the proverbial rocking horse brown stuff, but some piccies of the merc F3 engine will be very interesting to see.....anyone?

not the best one but the only one i could find in a few minutes, its very small :/
http://formel3.de/images/hwa-a.jpg
http://formel3.de/images/hwa-b.jpg
Old 20 Dec 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2806455)   #15
flightlessbird
Rookie

flightlessbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mf204

Does anyone have rebuild type info on the Mugen Mf204 Formula 3engine?
Old 20 Dec 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2806459)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Brown Engineering Ltd
Benner Road, Wardentree Lane Industrial Estate
Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 3TZ

Tel: +44 (0)1775 723052
Fax: +44 (0)1775 710570

Email: admin@nbe.co.uk
Old 20 Dec 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2806533)   #17
Felon
Rookie

Felon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone,

Maybe I'm digging someone's grave, but would anyone please show me a link to the "the cars.pdf" that macsport had mentioned before? Much thanks in advance.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2806565)   #18
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its an old thread - its likely to have gone. Original post was 4 years ago.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 21:06 (Ref:3002432)   #19
The Racer X
Rookie

Canada
Montreal, QC
The Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too the Formula 3 replys on this Thread...

I was just doing a quick Google search on these old Mugen-Honda Formula 3 engines and found some good information under this thread.

I was wondering if anyone of you whom replied to this conversation did download this PDF from the British F3 website years ago? The link is now gone, but post here from macsport way back in 2006.

Click Here - http://www.fota.co.uk/downloads.php?event=2&season=2005

I would like to read this comparison and specs on those 2006 Mercedes and Mugen-Honda engines if anyone here does have that, and could email it to me, (brabhambmw07@gmail.com) I appreciate it if possible.

Thanx and regards...