Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 May 2020, 00:48 (Ref:3976527)   #4926
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It appears the Canadian rounds have been dropped from both schedules.

And in the usual pit of Indy rumors, now Ferrari is considering Indy to keep members of the F1 employed. The new F1 cap cuts 30 million from Ferrari's proposal.

https://racer.com/2020/05/15/ferrari...otto-confirms/
Old 16 May 2020, 01:22 (Ref:3976529)   #4927
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It appears the Canadian rounds have been dropped from both schedules.

And in the usual pit of Indy rumors, now Ferrari is considering Indy to keep members of the F1 employed. The new F1 cap cuts 30 million from Ferrari's proposal.

https://racer.com/2020/05/15/ferrari...otto-confirms/
With the Canadian round at Toronto cancelled for this season, I wonder if this will be used as a means to get rid of the race completely?

That's a very interesting development regarding Ferrari. I remember when they were considering racing in IndyCar in 1986, when they designed and built a car.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 16 May 2020 at 01:27.
Old 16 May 2020, 01:29 (Ref:3976530)   #4928
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just to add to the Ferrari rumour. Mario Andretti would like to a Dallara v Ferrari battle.

https://f1i.com/news/373057-andretti...n-indycar.html
Old 16 May 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3976605)   #4929
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm guessing purely a get more money in the F1 cap move, would expect sportscar program before Indy. The Ferrari complaint with LMDh, IMSA and WEC compliant, was they can't make their own chassis and owners want a Ferrari chassis plate. I don't think Indy would allow a Ferrari chassis even if they copied a Dallara exactly.

I don't think they'd have any challenge making an engine and I'm thinking it would be the Indy engine to have in short order.
Old 16 May 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3976608)   #4930
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
With the Canadian round at Toronto cancelled for this season, I wonder if this will be used as a means to get rid of the race completely?
They claim to not be officially cancelled and trying "to explore alternate date options for 2020", but arranging another date for it would appear to be very unlikely.
I don't think the city or promoters are actively looking to get rid of it continuing in the future, but it may become a victim of circumstances. There might be construction of a subway station and other projects at the site making it difficult to keep it going, and now as with all racing, the pandemic-induced economic situation will make it difficult to find or keep sponsors for the event.
Old 16 May 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3976621)   #4931
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just to add to the Ferrari rumour. Mario Andretti would like to a Dallara v Ferrari battle.

https://f1i.com/news/373057-andretti...n-indycar.html
Remember the Ferrari v Dallara battle in F1 in the early 90's? Both cars painted very similar and Ferrari became so terrible that Dallara were on pace with them for a short while
Old 16 May 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3976639)   #4932
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And Dallara had a Ferrari engine in 92, before BMS made the disastrous decision to go to a Lola chassis for 93
Old 16 May 2020, 21:17 (Ref:3976666)   #4933
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If Ferrari ever returns to the Indianapolis 500, I swear I'll be there.
Old 17 May 2020, 05:38 (Ref:3976691)   #4934
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That's a very interesting development regarding Ferrari. I remember when they were considering racing in IndyCar in 1986, when they designed and built a car.........
........to threaten FIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm guessing purely a get more money in the F1 cap move, would expect sportscar program before Indy.
Yup. History repeats itself. At least this time, Ferrari doesn't have to waste the time, engineering, and expense, of building an example. It can just buy a DW12 off the shelf and paint it red. Instant bargaining tool....

jimclark
Old 17 May 2020, 05:53 (Ref:3976692)   #4935
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If Ferrari ever returns to the Indianapolis 500, I swear I'll be there.
But if it's still a spec/kit car series, I'll continue passing it up.

jimclark
Old 17 May 2020, 10:52 (Ref:3976728)   #4936
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
........to threaten FIA.

Yup. History repeats itself. At least this time, Ferrari doesn't have to waste the time, engineering, and expense, of building an example. It can just buy a DW12 off the shelf and paint it red. Instant bargaining tool....
Mario Andretti is saying Ferrari should consider an entry into IndyCar as an engine and chassis supplier to the series but that obviously is subject to the rules being changed.
Old 17 May 2020, 10:57 (Ref:3976730)   #4937
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, it would be nice to have more chassis manufacturers in the series, but I haven’t heard any talk of that happening anytime, so it’s unlikely Ferrari could do what Mario is suggesting at this time
Old 17 May 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3976732)   #4938
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, it would be nice to have more chassis manufacturers in the series, but I haven’t heard any talk of that happening anytime, so it’s unlikely Ferrari could do what Mario is suggesting at this time
I don't think anyone has mentioned opening up the rules to allow other chassis manufacturers, not until Mario Andretti mentioned it with regards to Ferrari. Ever since the failure of the Lotus/Judd venture back in 2012, IndyCar have focused solely on getting another engine manufacturer but to no avail.
Old 20 May 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3977383)   #4939
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IndyCar has been trying to keep parity at all costs, and I can't see it's a bad idea.

We all wish to return to the glory days of new cars every year, but teams can't afford it.

Dodge left Nascar and IMSA. I don't see FCA entering IndyCar.
Old 20 May 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3977426)   #4940
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Say it with me, Ferrari is not FCA. They were spun off and get to make their own decisions again. They get to spend their money where they want.
Old 21 May 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3977475)   #4941
S griffin
Veteran

They must have some funding coming in though. They still are part of the FIAT branch. They’ll go wherever it benefits them apart from F1
Old 21 May 2020, 09:56 (Ref:3977480)   #4942
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They still are part of the FIAT branch.
They are not.
Ferrari ceased to be a FIAT Branch, Brand, Subsidiary or however you want to term it in 2016.

Ferrari and FCA are officially separated

FCA Brands - VISIT OUR BRAND WEBSITES
Abarth
Alfa Romeo
Chrysler
Dodge
Fiat
Fiat Professional
Jeep
Lancia
Maserati
Mopar
Ram
Dodge
Comau
Teksid
Old 21 May 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3977488)   #4943
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder who funds them now? They must have found someone better, I think they did find someone else in 2016 now I remember.

I don’t know how many if the others have racing programmes. Alfa of course now have their own F1 team and Chrysler have their American programme. The others, I would need to look up
Old 21 May 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3977491)   #4944
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder who funds them now?
if you're talking about Ferrari N.V., they are funded in the same way any other automobile manufacturer would be - through the sale of cars and after-sales and merchandise income. (€775 million in 2017).

When it comes to entering races, the input from Ferrari N.V. is supported by sponsorship deals with certain brands. They also sell cars to other entrants, such as its GT program.
Old 21 May 2020, 11:14 (Ref:3977493)   #4945
S griffin
Veteran

I am sure they have other funding, but of course they are perfectly capable of selling their own cars, indeed usually the racing programme comes first

The road car programme will help with funding and Ferrari do do other series too
Old 21 May 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3977497)   #4946
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Ferrari left FCA in October 2015 and established Ferrari N.V. which was incorporated in the Netherlands, as the new holding company of the Ferrari group. In turn, Ferrari are owned by:
Exor N.V., 22.91%, Piero Ferrari, 10.00% and the Public, 67.09%.
Old 21 May 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3977518)   #4947
S griffin
Veteran

That makes sense, they set it up themselves, but I knew they had some funding come in. They couldn’t do it on their own. I don’t know who has the most influence, but of course the Ferrari family would have something in it. But Ferrari are free to do what they like
Old 21 May 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3977524)   #4948
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
That makes sense, they set it up themselves, but I knew they had some funding come in. They couldn’t do it on their own. I don’t know who has the most influence, but of course the Ferrari family would have something in it. But Ferrari are free to do what they like
They didn't set it up themselves exactly. It was part of Fiat Chrysler CEO and Ferrari Chairman Sergio Marchionne's plan to elevate Ferrari's profile as a global luxury goods company, so that Wall Street could more accurately value and evaluate the company.

With regard to funding, Marchionne first announced plans separate Ferrari from Fiat Chrysler in October 2014, as a way to raise money to fund the automaker's ambitious five-year strategic plan. In October, Fiat Chrysler sold a 10% stake in Ferrari on the New York Stock Exchange, raising $893 million.
Old 21 May 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3977543)   #4949
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...0U61ZK20151223

Exor and Piero Ferrari have a minority of shares, but almost a majority of votes.
Old 23 May 2020, 12:11 (Ref:3977866)   #4950
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toronto is now definitely cancelled for 2020, and unlike just about every other annual event, they conspicuously avoid any mention of being back in 2021.
https://hondaindy.com/news/610-2020-...cial-statement