Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Dec 2018, 06:59 (Ref:3871572)   #951
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I was at the 73 GP at Silverstone and whilst I enjoyed it hugely the picture wasn't entirely rosy . What was brilliant was just how close you got to the track and to watch at Copse , Club or Woodcote was amazing. The cars had diversity in looks but not in engines as BRM , Ferrari and (crappy ) Tecno apart , everybody ran an identical DFV . But watching Peterson sideways - really sideways - at Woodcote in the ageing Lotus 72 was extraordinary.

Big grid and different cars all good then but the next 20 years saw better, if not in track access . The 1.5 turbo era gave us blinding speed, different (but still very loud ) engines ,and in many configurations . But the NA F1 from '89 was the best of all in so many ways . Huge range of cars, big grids , V8s , 10s and 12s and lovely , clean lines of so many cars -none more than the screaming soprano V12 Ferrari 640/641 .

There is something to learn from each era- but no risk of that as most people in F1 have quite shocking levels of ignorance about or complete disdain for F1 history .
Old 20 Dec 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3871627)   #952
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what Liberty's business plan really is and what in the end we will finish up with in 2021. I ask this because of why they bought F1 in the first place and that was to ensure that they had TV and streaming content in the years to come and it was cheaper to buy the series than buy the content. That reason may well conflict with what the die hard spectator wants. For instance the more races they can introduce the more content they have, a charming thought indeed. I suspect their idea of fixing it may not be mine.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3871717)   #953
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I was at the 73 GP at Silverstone and whilst I enjoyed it hugely the picture wasn't entirely rosy . What was brilliant was just how close you got to the track and to watch at Copse , Club or Woodcote was amazing. The cars had diversity in looks but not in engines as BRM , Ferrari and (crappy ) Tecno apart , everybody ran an identical DFV . But watching Peterson sideways - really sideways - at Woodcote in the ageing Lotus 72 was extraordinary.

Big grid and different cars all good then but the next 20 years saw better, if not in track access . The 1.5 turbo era gave us blinding speed, different (but still very loud ) engines ,and in many configurations . But the NA F1 from '89 was the best of all in so many ways . Huge range of cars, big grids , V8s , 10s and 12s and lovely , clean lines of so many cars -none more than the screaming soprano V12 Ferrari 640/641 .

There is something to learn from each era- but no risk of that as most people in F1 have quite shocking levels of ignorance about or complete disdain for F1 history .

(The Matra didn't sound too shabby either..... )

jimclark
Old 21 Dec 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3871721)   #954
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Matra didn't compete at the 1973 British GP or in the 1973 F1 season. They quit F1 after a fairly dismal season the year before, concentrating on the Group 5 World Sports Car Championship, after wining LeMans in 1972. They went on to win the World Sports Car Championship and LeMans in 1973 and '74.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3871724)   #955
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

(They still sounded sweet. 'Nothing to do with any year.

(edit: neither did the 640/641s.... )

Last edited by jimclark; 21 Dec 2018 at 00:23.

jimclark
Old 21 Dec 2018, 00:46 (Ref:3871727)   #956
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

(The Matra didn't sound too shabby either..... )

The Matra V12 circa 1973 gets my vote as the most epic sounding F1 engine!
Old 21 Dec 2018, 01:01 (Ref:3871730)   #957
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The Matra V12 circa 1973 gets my vote as the most epic sounding F1 engine!
I don't recollect...they dropped it in the 670 and it lasted 24 hours?

edit: Never mind; 'got my answer. https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/...tra-MS670.html

Last edited by jimclark; 21 Dec 2018 at 01:29.

jimclark
Old 21 Dec 2018, 01:20 (Ref:3871731)   #958
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Matra won LeMans three years in a row with that engine, 1972 -'74, and with Henri Pescarolo behind the wheel.

One thing I liked about F1 in the '70s was the variety of engines.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 05:52 (Ref:3871748)   #959
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Matra won LeMans three years in a row with that engine, 1972 -'74, and with Henri Pescarolo behind the wheel.
And it returned to F1 in '75-78 and '81,'82.
Don't fergit Graham, David, Chris, 3 Jean-Pierres, Bob, Patrick, Francois, Howden, Gerard, Gijs, Herbert, and Jose; he wasn't the sole Matra driver at Le Mans.

Last edited by jimclark; 21 Dec 2018 at 06:21.

jimclark
Old 23 Dec 2018, 23:47 (Ref:3872164)   #960
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And it returned to F1 in '75-78 and '81,'82.
Don't fergit Graham, David, Chris, 3 Jean-Pierres, Bob, Patrick, Francois, Howden, Gerard, Gijs, Herbert, and Jose; he wasn't the sole Matra driver at Le Mans.
If we are being picky, Pescarola only won with Graham Hill and Gerard Larrousse, good old days only 2 drivers.
Old 23 Dec 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3872167)   #961
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

One thing I liked about F1 in the '70s was the variety of engines.
The Matra engine in the sports car never sounded as good as the F1, more highly tuned in the F1. But it was good nevertheless.

Must have sounded epic going down the Mulsanne straight!
Old 24 Dec 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3872184)   #962
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
If we are being picky, Pescarola only won with Graham Hill and Gerard Larrousse, good old days only 2 drivers.
'Always am. The statement was that Matra won with the detuned F1 engine, and with Henri Pescarolo behind the wheel. thus...
Quote:
...The team (Matra) used the F1 engine for sure, but, had more than just one driver each year.
(I gotcha tho, in a row.)

I'm alert. We need more lerts.

Seriously, I like to give credit where credit is due. If any one of the others did something different than they did on the given day, perhaps Henri, Graham, and Gerard wouldn't have won. One never knows.

Last edited by jimclark; 24 Dec 2018 at 05:57.

jimclark
Old 24 Dec 2018, 05:54 (Ref:3872185)   #963
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
The Matra engine in the sports car never sounded as good as the F1, more highly tuned in the F1. But it was good nevertheless.

Must have sounded epic going down the Mulsanne straight!
'Did.

jimclark
Old 24 Dec 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3872192)   #964
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

If you are going to be picky then it would be quite a good idea to spell Pescarolo properly ...
Old 24 Dec 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3872217)   #965
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
'Did.
Modern amateur video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14qWsCiGCU
Old 24 Dec 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3872247)   #966
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
'Always am. The statement was that Matra won with the detuned F1 engine, and with Henri Pescarolo behind the wheel. thus...

...The team (Matra) used the F1 engine for sure, but, had more than just one driver each year.
(I gotcha tho, in a row.)

Seriously, I like to give credit where credit is due. If any one of the others did something different than they did on the given day, perhaps Henri, Graham, and Gerard wouldn't have won. One never knows.
I know Pesacarolo didn't win Le Mans on his own. He was partnered first time by the late, great Graham Hill and then twice by Gérard Larrousse. Without them co-driving he may not have won it three times in a row; up until then, only two other drivers had previously done so.

I got to hear and see the Matra V12 race four times. First in 1974, at the British Airways 1000 km at Brands Hatch in the Matra-Simca MS670C, again in 1976, '78 and 1982 at the British GPs also at Brands Hatch, when Ligier put it in the back of their cars.

Quote:

I'm alert. We need more lerts.
I thought you were alert, all along.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 02:52 (Ref:3872320)   #967
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
If you are going to be picky then it would be quite a good idea to spell Pescarolo properly ...
Certain deliberate errors will be made to see if you are a lert, congratulations Coppice this forum needs lerts.

Actually, I was flat out trying to spell Larrousse plopley!
Old 25 Dec 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3872321)   #968
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I really miss hearing engines at full chat with the accelerator pinned to the floor in top gear for a long time (30 seconds?) in modern racing. Gives you goose bumps and raises the hair on the back of your neck! (Hybrids not at all)

Demonstration runs also never bring back the true anger of a car being driven flat out in a race either.

We desperately need a couple of 6 km straights like Mulsanne used to be.

Last edited by wnut; 25 Dec 2018 at 03:11.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3872331)   #969
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
(A)for a long time (30 seconds?)

(B) We desperately need a couple of 6 km straights like Mulsanne used to be.
(A)30 secs.??? Try a minute! (They didn't hit 400! Let's say average 180mph for three miles = 1 min.)

(B) Dream on. 'Ain't never gonna happen again. Too "dangerous"...

jimclark
Old 25 Dec 2018, 07:37 (Ref:3872334)   #970
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
As it's Christmas I can dream - and so much of what Grand Prix racing has meant to me is about noise and diversity of designs . Just reading yesterday about the Honda RA 271 with transverse V12 engine of 1.5 litres - and it raced against not only the little V8s from Coventry Climax and the Ferrari V6 and flat 12 . Until the current homogeneity of dull sounding turbo V6s Grand n Prix F1 cars have made so many tunes - IL 4, 6 and 8 ; V6, 8, 10 , 12 and 16 ; flat 4, 6 ,12; W12 and H16 . NA, turbo and supercharged ; and a gas turbine. And some I have missed out too...

4 wheels and 6 wheels ; mid and front engined, wings and no wings and hundreds of different body shapes .

Despite spending utterly grotesque amounts , many(many ) times what their predecessors did each team is now producing effectively the same car .

The reference to Grand Prix racing is deliberate as the sport goes back to 1906 and not 1950 , when the Formula 1 label was applied .
Old 25 Dec 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3872342)   #971
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As a spectator, or more usually in my case, standing on the pitwall at a historic race event, diversity in engine and exhaust notes is a huge part of the enjoyment! Not so much with the HF1 cars, as DFV rules, but in historic sports cars and GTs I’ve been privileged to hear machines like the Lola T92/10 Judd flat all along the straight at Dijon, Ford F3L going down through the gears for the first corner at Jarama, Howmet Gas Turbine spooling up in the pitlane at Imola, Ferrari 512, Matra 670 and 917 going up through the gears.... To name but a few!

If you’re into the cars, it really does make a tremendous difference, and for me it’s a shame that only certain formula have diversity nowadays....
Old 25 Dec 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3872374)   #972
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
it’s a shame that only certain formula have diversity nowadays....
And even those, BoPing F's them up.

jimclark
Old 25 Dec 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3872378)   #973
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Maybe with the technology available today they can have a "Select Engine Noise Mode" button on the TV coverage.That will allow you to hear the racing in the engine sound of your choice.
Or you can just hit the mute button and have realistic electric car sound.
Old 26 Dec 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3872388)   #974
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Maybe with the technology available today they can have a "Select Engine Noise Mode" button on the TV coverage.That will allow you to hear the racing in the engine sound of your choice.
Have a select technology button too, the commentators can then bang on about hybrid tech or v8s or the latest flat twelve that revs to 22000 rpm, all pure fantasy, good times, everyone's happy!
Old 26 Dec 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3872407)   #975
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Renault do this on the Clio. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQnZzriyyA