Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Feb 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3202730)   #1251
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think anyone seriously wants to see just gt3 cars; multiclass racing is what makes endurances races great. There's no way to eliminate incidents between multiple classes, but IMO I don't think class d and e cars would have been missed. Especially if the top 3 classes keep growing in the future are those two really needed?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:02 (Ref:3202735)   #1252
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
but IMO I don't think class d and e cars would have been missed.
the Production class cars are the heart and soul of the Bathurst 12hr dating back to the start of the race in 1991.

They are also the classes that keep this event within reach (financially) of the local battlers
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3202740)   #1253
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3202742)   #1254
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well the race is over and I guess the post mortem have started
The smart a****e comments from those who don't understand endurance races are about the only way they can avoid admitting it was probably more interesting than October.
Stuck home and had the problem of getting a good feed early in the event. Eventualy got a great feed throught the Dubai 24hr site. Radio Le Mans and the home crew combined well.
Didn't see the early carnage live, only a few replays, but judging from the cars involved how much of a contributing factor was the 1 hour GT race being involved? Maybe a complication that wasn't helpful? Probably not an idea for next year.
Lot of flak about slower cars on here, and from a few people who were speaking while hot under the collar. Not sure that the driving standards of the D and E cars were in any way inferior, but there is no doublt that the speed mix and the problems of lapping slow trafic on top of the mountain led to some frustration. The interesting thing is that in an earlier era with production cars the smaller cars were usualy faster from Skyline to Forest Elbow than the big blokes lapping them. Nowadays there is no way a BMW or SEAT is as quick over that stretch as say a 458. The whole concept has changed.
I'll admit to being a sceptic about GT taking over the event but it sure is a winner and will only get better. Still like to see a production endurance event on the Mountain, but maybe it should be seperate.
Meanwhile comiserations to Scudd, disatrous luck, but please bounce back.
And Kingers, that was brilliant. Glad you had your gear ready to go.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3202743)   #1255
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
you really should go to a v8 race then. At the 1000km last year 14 lead changes amongst 11 cars. 1 second seperating the top 2 at the end (not one lap)

That would blow your mind. Less time to buy merchadise though. as they didnt spend quarter of the day sitting behind a safety car
I love v8s as much as the next person. In fact, I love all types of Motorsport at all levels. In saying that, I appreciate the different types of racing for what they are. Anyone who went to the race yesterday with the intention of seeing something that happened in October would've been kidding themselves. Safety cars are an unfortunate part of any racing. 3 hours of SC yesterday was not ideal, but it's part of the game.
I admit last years 1000 was good, it didn't blow my mind. But 20-odd GT cars flat over skyline did!!!
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3202745)   #1256
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Not looking forward to this years bathurst 700km?
925 km last year, last two and a half hours without a safety car

of the 12 laps, only one was not a slow down or speed up lap. (1 of the laps was both)

so stop making things up
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:35 (Ref:3202747)   #1257
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
I love v8s as much as the next person. In fact, I love all types of Motorsport at all levels. In saying that, I appreciate the different types of racing for what they are. Anyone who went to the race yesterday with the intention of seeing something that happened in October would've been kidding themselves. Safety cars are an unfortunate part of any racing. 3 hours of SC yesterday was not ideal, but it's part of the game.
I admit last years 1000 was good, it didn't blow my mind. But 20-odd GT cars flat over skyline did!!!
while i am sure it was awesome for you to see 20 GT cars at full speed over skyline, thats hardly makes a great race, its just makes a spectacle of interest. like watching HO and torans and minis over the top

in 3 weeks time i will also be watching 20 plus GT cars at full noise, but with out having to slow down every 4 laps for a slower car and the liklihood is that they will be racing for position at the end, not hoping the guy who is five seconds a lap slower will fall off the track
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3202750)   #1258
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
925 km last year, last two and a half hours without a safety car

of the 12 laps, only one was not a slow down or speed up lap. (1 of the laps was both)

so stop making things up
If you cant comprehend a post, please dont bloody quote me. It clearly says THIS years race. Nothing to do with last year in the slightest! STOP MISQUOTING PEOPLE!
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3202754)   #1259
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
while i am sure it was awesome for you to see 20 GT cars at full speed over skyline, thats hardly makes a great race, its just makes a spectacle of interest. like watching HO and torans and minis over the top

in 3 weeks time i will also be watching 20 plus GT cars at full noise, but with out having to slow down every 4 laps for a slower car and the liklihood is that they will be racing for position at the end, not hoping the guy who is five seconds a lap slower will fall off the track
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Not sure what people get out of dissecting posts which tell of people's experiences on something we all enjoy. Next time I'll PM you what I intend to post so you can proof-read it and to avoid future disappointment.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3202756)   #1260
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know why the missus is looking at me strange as all I did was book next years accommodation
Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3202763)   #1261
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Not sure what people get out of dissecting posts which tell of people's experiences on something we all enjoy. Next time I'll PM you what I intend to post so you can proof-read it and to avoid future disappointment.
you dont need to PM, just be prepared to back up outlandish comments

you were the one that made an outlandish comment about the number of passes for a lead. and how that made it the best race you have ever been too.

If you are basing your opinion on that, then last years 1000 was better.

i
Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3202769)   #1262
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just home from Bathurst and reading the chat. Devastating result for Team Lago, we were on for something special but the old Motorsport cliche of highs and lows just doesn't cut it now. Had to admire how Roger absorbed and dealt with it, very classy.

Kingers wasn't the only one to get a call up. For some reason I was considered experienced enough to help out in the Motorsport Services 997 cup after one of the drivers damaged an ankle hitting the wall at Griffens after an untidy tap from Mika Salo. ( first safety car).

Despite a missing right mirror and rusty as, managed to get around for an hour and a half stint without any real drama. From my observations, great job by the flaggies waving plenty of blue, fairly good driving standards and A class guys were respectful when taking slower cars...if you did the right thing.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3202782)   #1263
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Am i right in saying that 3 of the top 4 were the podium from last year? By car
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3202791)   #1264
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to the mountain yesterday and loved it. A couple of random comments:

1. It's amazing how hard the drivers attack the mountain. Especially on the way down, just flat out going in to some serious bends. It's always good to go to a race to remind you how good and committed some of the drivers are (can look quite clinical on TV sometimes)

2. Loved the fact there were different classes involved, goes to show the speed differential between the cars and how fast the GT3 cars are. Also shows how capable some of the lesser machinery can be (btw I realise the slower cars aren't from the show room)

3. The Ferrari's sound like they are under so much more stress than any other car out there. Makes sense given the size of engine compared to say the Mercs and to a lesser degree the Audis but not the Porsches. Question: to what degree is the sound a product of the engine/exhaust and what amount relates high revs (the latter is an assumption based on their road car equivalents).

Thanks
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3202806)   #1265
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
you dont need to PM, just be prepared to back up outlandish comments

you were the one that made an outlandish comment about the number of passes for a lead. and how that made it the best race you have ever been too.

If you are basing your opinion on that, then last years 1000 was better.

i
I also based my opinion on the variety of cars in the race. Did you bother reading the whole post, or did you just see something you didn't like/agree with, and pick at it? I was merely stating a fact of the number of lead changes, combined with the variety of the entry.
Out of curiosity, have you ever been to a 12 hours of Bathurst? Or are you one of the majority of Aussie Motorsport supporters who only believe that if it isn't a v8 Supercar, it's not worth your trouble?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3202812)   #1266
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I also based my opinion on the variety of cars in the race. Did you bother reading the whole post, or did you just see something you didn't like/agree with, and pick at it? I was merely stating a fact of the number of lead changes, combined with the variety of the entry.
Out of curiosity, have you ever been to a 12 hours of Bathurst? Or are you one of the majority of Aussie Motorsport supporters who only believe that if it isn't a v8 Supercar, it's not worth your trouble?
I havent been, But it is a 12 hour drive, But i did watch 7 hours of yesterdays coverage. and both qualifying sessions and i would have gone this year except i am going to clipsal in 3 weeksish

I will probably go next year. So no i do not think is is not worth the trouble.

The variety of cars is interesting, but that by itself does not make for an awesome race, its just makes its interesting. It can be quite dull race. just interesting
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3202819)   #1267
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My random comments for the weekend:

- Move the race to the earlier start.
- Open the pit food complex to the public. That really got under my skin.
- Get the local childcare centre or school to sell food up the top or at least a Mr Whippy van up there.
- Dont mix HQ's and Gemini's together ever again.
- Get the NSW / VIC Prod Sports guys running up there in Feb instead of April and make it their "Nationals"
- Ban Hislop's Falcon from Improved production. Yeah I get it that he has built a car that is stupidly quick and everyone else needs to catch up to him but really where is the challenge in it? My hat goes off to Forrest and that insanely quick Celica.
- Make the Sports Sedan races as a round of their National series.
- Campsite security to tell certain people to STFU at 4am. ie the clowns playing George Thorogood on the Friday night.
- Ban generators after 10pm. If you really need to watch a cooking show while camping you are prob best in a hotel.
- Involve the car clubs.
- Condolences like everyone to Scudd
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3202821)   #1268
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post

- Get the local childcare centre or school to sell food up the top or at least a Mr Whippy van up there.
- Get the NSW / VIC Prod Sports guys running up there in Feb instead of April and make it their "Nationals"
- Ban Hislop's Falcon from Improved production. Yeah I get it that he has built a car that is stupidly quick and everyone else needs to catch up to him but really where is the challenge in it? My hat goes off to Forrest and that insanely quick Celica.
- Campsite security to tell certain people to STFU at 4am. ie the clowns playing George Thorogood on the Friday night.
- Ban generators after 10pm. If you really need to watch a cooking show while camping you are prob best in a hotel.
- Involve the car clubs.
What was the weather like at 6am? they have discussed a fog issue as being a reason for changing it, would it have been foggy?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3202824)   #1269
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What was the weather like at 6am? they have discussed a fog issue as being a reason for changing it, would it have been foggy?
Stunningly clear but it is very unpredictable. At the 2010 Easter ProdSports meeting we had to wait until 10am before the fog lifted.

Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3202825)   #1270
Prancing Wombat
Rookie

Prancing Wombat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post

- Involve the car clubs.

Agree with pretty much all you said.

Catering on top of the mountain was poor.
We heard a guy going off his nut at 4am sunday. Wasn't you was it??

BUT: lets replace proddie cars with prodsports cars. I'd be there for sure. Take the top 15 pordsports cars as fillers to the 35 odd GT cars. Recipe for a great race.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3202827)   #1271
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It didnt make the Daily Telegraph today...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3202828)   #1272
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Wombat View Post
BUT: lets replace proddie cars with prodsports cars. I'd be there for sure. Take the top 15 pordsports cars as fillers to the 35 odd GT cars. Recipe for a great race.
Thought you said it was a mugs game? Any mugs out there want to sponsor a couple of Lotuses to run in the 12hr?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3202829)   #1273
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelise View Post
Stunningly clear but it is very unpredictable. At the 2010 Easter ProdSports meeting we had to wait until 10am before the fog lifted.

Thanks Dave. Nice pic

Any idea what it has been like the last two years at 6 am.

just wondering if the fog reason is a good one or not
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3202832)   #1274
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It didnt make the Daily Telegraph today...
I bit of a side story in the SMH which I assume was pushed by Aston Martin. Token mention of the results.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/a...211-2e8gs.html
Old 11 Feb 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3202833)   #1275
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Wombat View Post
Agree with pretty much all you said.

Catering on top of the mountain was poor.
Yeah I think the only thing up there was a Cafe2u Van. They were selling Sausage rolls, Coffees, water and flavoured milk. A wide range for a Cafe2u yes but still not to everyones taste.