Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 May 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3730297)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
There are no guarantees in Formula 1. Remember Peugeot dominating the WSC then sputtering out in F1 with a succession of teams?
And then they went back to the WRC and started winning in that almost immediately
Old 1 May 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3730318)   #102
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sauber-Honda Announcement Imminent

With McLaren gearboxes & drivetrains...
That makes a great deal of sense. There is quite a bit of speculation that part of the issue is power unit and transmission integration (with some unexpected consequences). Two teams running the same combination allows double the miles for everything plus they only have to debug and make one combo work.

Richard
Old 1 May 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3730382)   #103
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think it's excellent for Honda to have a second team on the grid, especially if they're running the same powertrain and transmission (what we used to call engine & gearbox!).
When this was first announced I was going to be flippant and say that this should save Sauber a fortune as they'll not be needing anywhere near as many tyres, but with foresight (we're only just into the season), I'd expect Honda to have made things far more durable by this time next year.
Old 2 May 2017, 00:41 (Ref:3730457)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Honda just aren't clowns, guys. They are a serious company whatever rut they might be in atm. They are gonna break out of that rut and I'm glad they are showing a renewed commitment to the sport with this move. Nice to see Sauber get something tangible bedded in for the future as well. And it is tangible.
We are in the 3rd year of watching this bloody mess. It is a bloody mess.

Honda got their lumps to run reliable for a full day of testing a week or two ago, yet can't get their poster boy to even line up on the grid without a major infarction.

Having the boss of the program say 'I'm sorry' a million times doesn't actually help get the cars competitive
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 May 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3730458)   #105
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sauber-Honda Announcement Imminent

With McLaren gearboxes & drivetrains...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That makes a great deal of sense. There is quite a bit of speculation that part of the issue is power unit and transmission integration (with some unexpected consequences). Two teams running the same combination allows double the miles for everything plus they only have to debug and make one combo work.

Richard
Confirmed
Old 2 May 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3730459)   #106
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I'd be amazed if Matsushita wasn't part of any Sauber Honda deal
Team Panasonic Sauber Honda?
Old 9 May 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3732493)   #107
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber are "open to anything" in their relationship with Honda. Suggests to me Matsushita might be in one of the seats next year.
Old 9 May 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3732500)   #108
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber are "open to anything" in their relationship with Honda. Suggests to me Matsushita might be in one of the seats next year.
I reckon she thinks that Sauber are in the £ seats now with Honda and their ratecard for anything will be a lot less than McLaren, you would imagine.
Old 9 May 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3732501)   #109
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Honda might find the Hinwil facilities an attractive prospect for a deeper relationship. But so long as their engine remains a useless lump, it's all to little avail for Sauber.
Old 10 May 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3732643)   #110
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just hope Sauber doesn't sell to Honda like they did with BMW.
Old 10 May 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3732645)   #111
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Gary Anderson makes a good point that now that Haas are the Ferrari B team, Sauber don't have the treatment anymore, so would probably be better off with Honda
Old 10 May 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3732654)   #112
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MTV's F1 expert Ossi Oikarinen said that Honda could buy part of the Sauber team.
Old 10 May 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3732655)   #113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
MTV's F1 expert Ossi Oikarinen said that Honda could buy part of the Sauber team.
Betting on Sauber for a world championship with a random engine after Honda pull out seems like a good bet.
Old 10 May 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3732704)   #114
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MTV have an F1 expert?
Old 10 May 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3732712)   #115
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
MTV have an F1 expert?
Ha! I had to Google this. In this case, MTV is a Finnish TV station. If it was MTV of music video fame, that would have been interesting. I want my MTV!

Richard
Old 10 May 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3732714)   #116
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That ain't working...

That makes more sense.
Old 10 May 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3732732)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Money for nothing is the Honda mantra
Old 10 May 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3732735)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Ha! I had to Google this. In this case, MTV is a Finnish TV station. If it was MTV of music video fame, that would have been interesting. I want my MTV!

Richard

So the Finnish one is about music about as much as the American one
Old 11 May 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3732744)   #119
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So the Finnish one is about music about as much as the American one
Yeah, well I was a teen right when MTV went mainstream. So I remember the "vintage" version. I haven't watched it in decades. I am sure it's all reality shows these days!

Richard
Old 11 May 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3732746)   #120
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Money for nothing is the Honda mantra
And cheques for free... for the suppliers & employees?
Old 13 May 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3733209)   #121
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
McLaren & Honda To Split

Makes Sauber the works Honda team, if true.

Means a complete new mindset on drivers at Sauber surely. They would have to be in the active market for a proven brand name!

Hope it's true. McLaren will always survive, Sauber is much more fragile
Old 13 May 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3733306)   #122
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Even if it's true, which I seriously doubt, which front-running driver would go to Sauber? At a pinch, maybe Pérez, but he's unproven.
Old 14 May 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3733360)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

Do not underestimate Perez, he is a strong fighter, who has long shaken off his disappointing season with McLaren
Old 14 May 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3733448)   #124
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I reckon Perez to Ferrari to replace KR in 18. For a complete long shot I am going with Sainz at Sauber 2018 still with WEH and Honda protege as 3rd driver.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3733459)   #125
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I reckon Perez to Ferrari to replace KR in 18. For a complete long shot I am going with Sainz at Sauber 2018 still with WEH and Honda protege as 3rd driver.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Sainz won't go sideways or even backwards for his next team! It's either Ferrari or Enstone for him i reckon...