Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
BBC's Coverage from 2001 4 16.67%
ITV's Coverage from 2002 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Jun 2002, 19:46 (Ref:324317)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ITV vs BBC Coverage!

Which did you prefer - BBC's coverage from last season or ITV's from this season.

For me there is no competition. ITV have filled a regular prime-time slot, and although it doesn't have Charlie Cox Ben Edwards is a great comentator!

Coverage of the Production Class is getting better too.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 21:26 (Ref:324347)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No competition, ITV win easily. I've not watched all of the Mondello coverage yet, but the little bit I have seen looked great
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:04 (Ref:324365)   #3
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it had to be ITV since they weren't the ones that employed the suprisingly dumb Dawn McDaniel. I think I might have got her name wrong actually, was it McDaniels? Or was it something totally different? See - that's how much impact she made on me, I'm not even sure if I have spelt her name right.

ITV are getting better - and I think that the guest commentator is a very good idea, and along with Ben Edwards, it's doing a good job of stepping into the shoes of Charlie and Watty. But please get someone other than Will Hoy on the job!

Last edited by 100%VauxhallFan; 29 Jun 2002 at 22:05.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:17 (Ref:324373)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Nothing wrong with Will Hoy, in fact I think he's pretty good at it. I did think for a minute that they were going to have Matt Feeney do the commentary. Now that would have been good
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:19 (Ref:324375)   #5
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

My one problem with Will Hoy is that he doesn't know how to talk without shouting. It really bugs me personally.

I thought the same of Matt Feeney, and was quite glad that he got a mention on the tele - he is a brilliant commentator, and should be a permanant fixture to the Toca Radio squad me thinks.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:24 (Ref:324381)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a great fan of Will Hoy myself. The on-board lap of the track seemed very rushed at the start, while also got several things wrong in the race.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:25 (Ref:324384)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
He did Oulton Park earlier this year. I believe he's also doing at least one more round (Croft ?).
Old 29 Jun 2002, 22:53 (Ref:324389)   #8
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The beeb for me i think, cant stand the adverts !!!
At least it got Steve Rider off his back side for the interviews.....Agree with the comment regarding the Incar lap, and yes Ben is very good, but as yet fails to live up to comments like " Rat up a drain pipe " !
Does that bring CBH to mind ?!?!?
Old 30 Jun 2002, 00:23 (Ref:324406)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can do a lot worse than Will Hoy, i.e. - Chris Goodwin...

I tuned in via Sky today (seeing as it's being shown in Scotland tomorrow) and the programme was very cool. Cool music, cool camera angless, oh and I liked the rear wing camera on Howell's MG looking forward, reminds me of the Lexus cam last year.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 10:41 (Ref:324509)   #10
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reality check!

It's not a war, ITV Vs BBC, but a war of BHP Sport Vs Granada!!!

BHP Sport did the BTCC 1994-2000 I think and I loved there stupid ideas sometimes. eg. Plate dropping to indicate dropped scores! And the University Challenge style thing at the end of 2000. They were well funny! BHPs coverahe was much better than that of Octagon.
I don't want to be like i'm stuck in the past but I prefer BHPs coverage to Granadas at the moment.

NOT BBC WIN! BHP SPORT WINS!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 11:00 (Ref:324512)   #11
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV coverage is very good and last years apology for coverage by the BBC doesnt even compare but...

Having listened to TOCA radio as I wasnt at Mondello I was looking forward to seeing the incident between Reid and Neal at the end of the feature. Sounded to me a bit like the incident between Reid and Rydell a few seasons back at Brands but this time Reid was the one on the receiving end. To my surprise the cameraman who obviously had a white labrador sitting next to him missed just about the whole thing apart from Reid coming back onto the track and slamming into Mr O'Neill. Considering the battle that was going on for third not very good! does anyone have any photos of this incident?
Old 30 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:324516)   #12
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you all see Craig lurking in the background during the post-race interviews, hahahaha!!!!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 11:22 (Ref:324519)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rache I was just wondering the same thing, one thing Craig, there's no need to freeze in front of the camera !!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 12:03 (Ref:324523)   #14
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by nicker less
It's not a war, ITV Vs BBC, but a war of BHP Sport Vs Granada!!! .....BHP SPORT WINS! [/B]
You obviously haven't read the thread title at all then really, as if you have, you'd find it was the 2001 coverage vs the 2002 coverage. The 2001 coverage was produced by Octagon CSI (Or is it Octa8on CSI - can't fully remember), where as this years is produced by Granada Sport - this means it isn't all BHP Sport Vs Granada Sport at all!

But it is actually BBC vs ITV as you have to consider the package as a whole - the people who produce it do only that - it's up to the channel how much they choose to show of it and when they are showing it. By considering it as ITV Vs BBC you take into consideration when it is shown, how much is shown blah blah blah. For this reason, ITV must win in my opinion, as [like already mentioned] it has a regular time showing, (well, at least we know when it will be on). Also, to date, ITV hasn't cut short the coverage in favour of other progs, and in general, Granada Sport are doing a better job than Octagon CSI.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 16:07 (Ref:324589)   #15
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Granada Sport said they'd hire a different fromer BTCC driver to commentate alongside Edwards at every round.

Hoy has commentated at 3 of the rounds to Goodwin's two.

There's many former BTCC drivers out there not just them two!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 17:23 (Ref:324616)   #16
coxmattycox
Racer

coxmattycox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think itv's coverage is grate except they don't show enough replays
i mean u see cars crashed but u don't know how they got there?????????
Old 30 Jun 2002, 17:37 (Ref:324623)   #17
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The coverage up to 2000 was good, the 2001 coverage was absolute rubbish.

The ITV coverage is better than BBC in 2001 but not quite up to the standard of the coverage up to 2000. Some race incidents like Reid/Neal incident at Mondello and some of the panel bashing between Harvey and Priaulx that I saw going on when I was at Thruxton wasnt shown.

If the Plato/Muller incident had been this year then I bet they would have missed it out. To be honest they could show more of the races, Vicky Butler-Henderson spends too much time talking about nothing much. That plus all the adverts makes it a little tedious.

But to look on the positive side a massive improvement over last year!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 18:31 (Ref:324632)   #18
AndyF
Veteran

Agreed. More racing, less talking.

Incidentally, they did show more of the Neal/Reid collision, but only in the credits at the end!

I thought the coverage of the production class was better for Mondello, although why we had to see a replay of Mark Thomas going off, when we get explanation of Fullalove's crash in the Sprint, I don't know!
Old 30 Jun 2002, 19:29 (Ref:324676)   #19
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF
Agreed. More racing, less talking.

Incidentally, they did show more of the Neal/Reid collision, but only in the credits at the end!

I thought the coverage of the production class was better for Mondello, although why we had to see a replay of Mark Thomas going off, when we get explanation of Fullalove's crash in the Sprint, I don't know!
Can you make that sentence a bit clearer? It sounds like you are complaining that they showed the replay of Thomas crashing when Fullalove went off (they didn't, because that was at the end of the first lap, and Fullalove lasted longer than that).

Perhaps you mean you are upset because they didn't show a replay of Fullalove crashing in the sprint race and they did show a replay of Thomas?

I think the replay of Fullalove's feature race crash more than made up for it...in fact there has been far too much coverage of Fulallove crashes this year. (Or is he just crashing too much?)
Old 30 Jun 2002, 19:36 (Ref:324680)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic

Perhaps you mean you are upset because they didn't show a replay of Fullalove crashing in the sprint race and they did show a replay of Thomas?

Yep, that's what I meant.

At least it gives his sponsers some extra coverage!
Old 3 Jul 2002, 08:28 (Ref:326336)   #21
Mocko
Rookie

Mocko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really mind the interviews as long as hey have the extra coverage for the racing. One thing that the coverage of both this year and last year fell foul to was that they switched scene to show an incedent then another, then again, then again.

ITV should either increase the length of the programme or show live races.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 19:28 (Ref:326681)   #22
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV is miles better. Edwards is a class commentator, and they didn't make the mistake of employing John Watson alongside him. Chris Goodwin wasn't great in the box, Will Hoy was better, but John Cleland would be better still(but I'd rather he was driving a vauxhall again).

Oh, and Vicki Butler Henderson is well fit
Old 3 Jul 2002, 20:04 (Ref:326701)   #23
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One reason why the Neal/Reid 'clash' wasn't shown was that all the in-car tapes had run out......
Old 3 Jul 2002, 23:05 (Ref:326799)   #24
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC coverage seemed to get worse over the years. ITV seems to be finding its feet now, so we'll see. But BBC seem to have forsaken motorsport on TV.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:09 (Ref:326898)   #25
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is everybody saying? ITV's coverage is dire. OK, Ben Edwards is a great commentator but the combo of Charlie Cox and John Watson was brilliant. And yeah, the features they had on the BBC were much better. Cox's understanding of the sport was top-notch. Saturday, get sat down to watch the Mondello highlights and was dissappointed. Adverts every five mins and not enough racing.