Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2001, 16:05 (Ref:157127)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull All American Team??

Red Bull is planning to buy Arrows and create an All American Team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...00/1584596.stm
Old 7 Oct 2001, 16:29 (Ref:157133)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Tom Walkinshaw will sell his shares, and he stil has 60% himself. He finaly managed to get a factory deal with Cosworth, and I think he won't stop until he has the succes he wants.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 17:00 (Ref:157142)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting idea, for sure. But if it were to become an American team, then you would expect there would be some American personnel brought in, displacing existing team members. I think Jaguar can be used as an example of the kind of problems they could end up with. Being an "all-american team" is a magnet for criticism, however undeserved, and I hope they would be prepared for more intense scrutiny over their lack of success.

Why would Walkinshaw have allowed someone else to own an option to purchase his team? Has anyone heard him mention recently that he wanted out of F1?

I can certainly see Red Bull's strategy in this. The U.S. is a largely untapped market for their product. If they could tie themselves to American patriotism, they'd make a fortune.

Old 7 Oct 2001, 19:21 (Ref:157188)   #4
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wow! Arrows hold a F1 record!

Quote:
From the article Hakkiman was referring to:
Arrows hold the F1 record for number of races contested without a win - 370 Grands Prix since 1978.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 20:45 (Ref:157223)   #5
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The All American Team

I am very dubious about this idea. They are evidently even talking about hiring American drivers! I'm trying to think of a CART team with two American drivers. . . . .
Old 7 Oct 2001, 21:10 (Ref:157228)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

According to Mateschitz, the new "Red Bull All America Team" would have their engines supplied by either General Motors or Ford.
That should be GM....

Quote:

That would put a halt to recent plans by Arrows to bring in veteran French driver Jean Alesi and sacked Jordan driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen of Germany for next season.
And Jos ?????
Old 7 Oct 2001, 21:13 (Ref:157230)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Ther aren't many American drivers in CART, the best in the championship is Michael Andretti and his f1 adventure failed.

All the other top CART drivers are South American,Canadian or European.

Memo Gidley does OK sometimes, but I can't see him moving to f1, and new boy Casey Mears did'nt perform today(driving round 25th)

The thing I also find strange is that if Red Bull want to take the American Market, they would be better of in NASCAR, because NASCAR's populairity is far greater than F1,IRL and CART together.

Hyring 2 American drivers would also mean 2 rookies, who aren't used to the European circuits, that's not a solid base to build a team on.

Can't see it happening, apart from the fact that Tom walkinshaw will never sell his share.....
Old 7 Oct 2001, 21:44 (Ref:157239)   #8
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well according to said article, the Red Bull guy has an option to buy a controling stake in the team. Therefore if he wants to do it, I say let him

Tom and TWR are a fantastic outfit, but they've done absolutely nothing with Arrows since taking it over. They were a back of the grid team then and they still are now. Someone else might just as well have a go, before TWR's reputation is totally wrecked.

With me just having paid £5.20 (just over 8 US Dollars) for two cans of Red Bull (albeit in a night club), the guy must have a fair old heap of cash, and if he wants to spend it on Arrows, fine.
Of course he could give it to me, as the end result would still be the same - he wouldn't have the money, and Arrows would still be rubbish, and there'd be two upsides to that too: I'd have the money, and he wouldn't have had to go through a few years of false hope
Old 7 Oct 2001, 23:53 (Ref:157292)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It all sounds like rumour and innuendo to me.

Don't see it happening.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 00:03 (Ref:157299)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
With me just having paid £5.20 (just over 8 US Dollars) for two cans of Red Bull (albeit in a night club), the guy must have a fair old heap of cash, and if he wants to spend it on Arrows, fine.
Of course he could give it to me, as the end result would still be the same - he wouldn't have the money, and Arrows would still be rubbish, and there'd be two upsides to that too: I'd have the money, and he wouldn't have had to go through a few years of false hope

Nice one MichaelC
Old 8 Oct 2001, 02:42 (Ref:157332)   #11
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly think more of an American presence is needed somewhere. The future of the USGP could hang in the balance and at least an American driver would help boost things. But, as mentioned before, who could that be? No present American driver comes to mind. The last thing needed is a token driver put in an Arrows. That would be a total embarrasment. No one would go to the USGP then.

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I thought Jeff Gordon might have had the stuff needed to compete in F1. He has proven himself in numerous forms of racing. I guess anyone that can control an 850hp, short-wheelbase, alcohol burning car on a dirt track is crazy enough to drive anything. Those Outlaw boys are crazy. Jeff Gordon is now to comfortable and does not have the drive anymore.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 10:55 (Ref:157401)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR rednecks wouldn't touch Red Bull. They would think it's a Commie drink !!

And it's way more expensive than that Budweiser product that's laughingly called "beer" .

Alan
Old 8 Oct 2001, 12:10 (Ref:157422)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redneck
Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I thought Jeff Gordon might have had the stuff needed to compete in F1. He has proven himself in numerous forms of racing. I guess anyone that can control an 850hp, short-wheelbase, alcohol burning car on a dirt track is crazy enough to drive anything. Those Outlaw boys are crazy. Jeff Gordon is now to comfortable and does not have the drive anymore. [/QUOTE

I agree, entirely, Redddy, remember a couple of years ago Jackie stewart offered Gordan a test and Jeff turned him down?

It would have been grand. If any American could have succeded in F1 , its Gordan.

Who else is there?
Old 8 Oct 2001, 12:35 (Ref:157431)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a nice circular irony here though as Arrows was born by the defection of Alan Rees, Jackie Oliver and Tony Southgate from Shadow in 1978. Born out of an American Team, leading to its eventual collapse and eventually reborn nearly 25 years later as an "American" team.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 13:06 (Ref:157450)   #15
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
What might have been?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck
Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I thought Jeff Gordon might have had the stuff needed to compete in F1
I was hoping he would become another A. J. Foyt or Mario Andretti and race in several venues. I guess the good ol' boys have seduced him now.

The fact is, there are no Americans driving right now who have a snowball's chance of making it to F1. We will be lucky if the USGP can limp along for a few years until things turn around. For sure, Red Bull's not going to do it.

Old 8 Oct 2001, 13:18 (Ref:157455)   #16
Redneck
Racer

Until this thread I thought Red Bull was a health drink. Seriously! Now I see it is "my" kind of health drink.

Somebody pass me a can of that stuff!

The days of drivers crossing over to other forms of racing are very limited. Mario Andretti had to fight his sponsors that tried to limit his driving to CART. Fortunately, Mario saw his racing as being more important than the money and refused to sign any contract that limited what he could race.

When Jeff Gordon was asked about the possibility of racing F1 he made a very important point. Racing today is so specialized that you have to decide very early in your career what direction you are going. I hope he is wrong. If he is right, no one will ever conquer the Triple Crown of racing.

Tony Stewart has the brashness to race F1, but I am afraid he would lack the finesse.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 14:40 (Ref:157485)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Thanks for your e-mail and your interest in the team.

: Please find below Tom Walkinshaw's quote on the subject.

: "Red Bull has never had an option to buy Arrows and this latest story is a re-hash of old speculation."

: We would like to thank you for your support of the team and hope it will continue into the 2002 season.

: Kind regards

: Emily Taylor

: Media Assistant

============
Old 8 Oct 2001, 15:36 (Ref:157508)   #18
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I suppose that's the end of that! Jeff Gordon would have been the natural choice, he's probably the best American driver out there. Tony S. is good, but his hair trigger temper and lack of media savvy would not endear him to anyone in Europe. The only other Nascar probables would be Robby Gordon or John Andretti, neither of whom would be successful. Robby would thrash equipment like Paul Tracy used to do with Penske!

I remember years ago Bill Elliott tested a Champ car, and was very quick.

I think only Phil Hill's boy is racing in Europe right now. Anyone know of any others?

This American team idea is a LOOOONG way off from happening!
Old 8 Oct 2001, 15:42 (Ref:157510)   #19
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Well, Derek Hill is'nt doint to good in F3000, he's always in the back of the field, while his teammate(Bourdais) is fighting for the points.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 16:07 (Ref:157521)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there are 3 Americans in UK F3 this year, and Richard Antonnucci (sp) in Formula Renault I think. But whether any of them could reach F1 is another matter.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 16:16 (Ref:157525)   #21
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
I think Jaguar can be used as an example of the kind of problems they could end up with.
If they could tie themselves to American patriotism, they'd make a fortune.[
1. jaguar an all-american team..i don't think so.
jaguar problems were many and varied.....
rahal running his cart team....was the deal killer.

2. they won't make a dime unless the team can win.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 18:04 (Ref:157568)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Thanks for your e-mail and your interest in the team.

: Please find below Tom Walkinshaw's quote on the subject.

: "Red Bull has never had an option to buy Arrows and this latest story is a re-hash of old speculation."

: We would like to thank you for your support of the team and hope it will continue into the 2002 season.

: Kind regards

: Emily Taylor

: Media Assistant

============
Great one Steve !!!

All this story was really out of context...
Old 8 Oct 2001, 19:23 (Ref:157642)   #23
Redneck
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
Tony S. is good, but his hair trigger temper and lack of media savvy would not endear him to anyone in Europe.
I always thought this was a pre-requisite to being an F1 driver.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 19:32 (Ref:157649)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I think there are 3 Americans in UK F3 this year, and Richard Antonnucci (sp) in Formula Renault I think. But whether any of them could reach F1 is another matter.
I guarentee you that Paul Edwards who drove 2/3rds of a season for Alan Docking is more than capable of being an F1 driver - lets hope Red Bull have a driver shoot out like they say because Paul has won the Volant Elf at Paul Ricard (like Prost, Pironi et al) as well as the Valvoline event that Jeremy Shaw runs plus I beleive he won a shoot out organised by Team Greem a few years back but turned down a FF2000 ride. I think he is the only one out of Hill, Gurney, & the guy at Manor whose name escapes me who could make it. Antinucci has the fact that he is Eddie Cheevers nephew on his side - got that showbiz type thing, he was at Jennifer Lopezs wedding etc but his unltimate pace wont be known till he is in F3 after this years indecisive Renault result (first Manor driver not to win championship in 5 years)
Old 8 Oct 2001, 19:50 (Ref:157674)   #25
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck
Until this thread I thought Red Bull was a health drink. Seriously! Now I see it is "my" kind of health drink.
Somebody pass me a can of that stuff!
Be careful Redneck. Read the following from the BBC's website

"Thursday, 12 July, 2001, 12:36 GMT 13:36 UK
Red Bull in suspected link to deaths

The Swedish National Food Administration has issued a public warning about the energy drink

The energy drink Red Bull is under investigation in Sweden after reports at least three people died after drinking it.
The Swedish National Food Administration (NFA) is heading the investigation, and has issued a public warning, telling people not to take Red Bull mixed with alcohol, or after heavy exercise.

The three healthy young people who died are all thought to have drunk Red Bull shortly before their deaths.

But the energy drink's manufacturers said there was no proof the deaths were linked to Red Bull.

This is one story that's been not based on facts, and has been fuelled by speculation

A spokesperson for Red Bull manufacturers
Two of the victims died after mixing the drink with vodka.

One woman, named only as Therese, 31, collapsed on the floor of a nightclub in March this year.

Her boyfriend John Andersson told a national newspaper: "Suddenly she just fell down beside me. Her heart had stopped and she was completely lifeless.

A third person died after drinking several cans of the energy drink following a heavy workout at the gym.

Precaution

Doctors at Stockholm's South Hospital will lead the investigation.

Anders Glynn, of the NFA's toxicology department told BBC News Online: "The public warning is a precaution.

"At this point, its just a suspicion and we really don't know why , as it is a suspicion the physicians have reported to the press."

A spokeswoman for the manufacturers of Red Bull told BBC News Online: "This is one story that's been not based on facts, and has been fuelled by speculation."

Catherine Collins: says energy drinks could lower blood pressure

She added the Swedish NFA had issued the public warning "without having the full information".

"They need to be seen to be precautionary, but there's no proof that Red Bull is harmful when mixed."

She said the company would be working with the NFA to prove the drink was safe.

Catherine Collins, of the British Dietetic Association, said: "There's been quite a lot of research looking at are the effects of Red Bull on the heart and circulation.

"And they have shown that if you take sufficient Red Bull, and other drinks that are performance enhancing, you can lower blood pressure and that may be the cause of the problem."

Concerns

Last year, the coroner at the inquest into the death of 18-year-old Ross Cooney from Limerick, called for more research into the effect of energy drinks.

Ross died of sudden adult death syndrome after a basketball match. Hours earlier he had drunk three cans of Red Bull.

The Times newspaper reports Norway, Denmark and France have classed the drink as medicinal because of its high caffeine content.

Red Bull also contains taurine, a building block for protein and helps digest food. A small amount is thought to be beneficial, but some studies have suggested a small risk to health.

Last year, one billion cans of Red Bull were bought worldwide.

The UK's Food Standards Agency said it was not planning an investigation."