Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 May 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4054093)   #3576
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure how quick she'll be, hard to tell from her one-off last year, but can't be any worse than Neate.

Don't think he'll return.
Old 31 May 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4054094)   #3577
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
It has been a difficult decision to take a break and get himself in a position to fulfil his own potential
Because another two weeks is going to make all the difference?
Old 31 May 2021, 18:17 (Ref:4054095)   #3578
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pressure has been applied somewhere I'm sure. Make it look like Neate's call to at least save some face....

It's not as if we are in back to back race weekends where there isn't much chance to take stock and sort things out mentally etc.

The drivers have had plenty of time to understand what has gone on and perhaps even take a few days to calm down.

I've always been indifferent to Neate, he doesn't really wind me up and neither do I have any desire to see him do well. However, bad news seems to follow him around and I'm now of the opinion that unless something drastic changes IF he does return to the seat then 2021 should be the last time we see him on the grid.
Old 31 May 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4054096)   #3579
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
It's interesting that Neate was allowed to choose his replacement, rather than Motorbase. I also suspect that he will not return, as I don't see how leaving just for Snetterton could be beneficial to him.
Old 31 May 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4054097)   #3580
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
It's interesting that Neate was allowed to choose his replacement, rather than Motorbase. I also suspect that he will not return, as I don't see how leaving just for Snetterton could be beneficial to him.
Why interesting? He's paying for the drive, so in effect can choose the driver.
Old 31 May 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4054103)   #3581
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, exactly. Andy Neate's money is probably the only thing that kept Motorbase on track last year and is no doubt not an insignificant part of this years finances for the team.

If he can sort his head out, relax, run some laps at a track/ test day, whatever it'd be good to see the Andy Neate of early 2020: quiet, minding his own business, driving within his and the cars limits. It all comes unstuck I suspect when he pushes harder.
Cool head = respectable mid pack performance.
Old 31 May 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4054109)   #3582
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't be missing Neate at Snetterton although it seems very nice of him that he personally chose Hawkins and called her offering this opportunity. Puts him a human face that people forget about when villifying him. At least there's something positive.

I wouldn't be much surprised if he's not back and that wouldn't be a loss for the championship at all - unless it puts Motorbase in financial difficulties but doubt Neate has such a huge impact on the team's finances.
Old 31 May 2021, 20:26 (Ref:4054130)   #3583
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
From the sounds of it Neate seems to have let everything get to his head and needs time to cool off. Maybe someone has had a word with him. We’ll see if he’s back at Brands. Anyway best of luck to Jess
Old 31 May 2021, 21:09 (Ref:4054138)   #3584
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Jess Hawkins in for Neate at Snetterton:

https://www.btcc.net/2021/05/31/jess...s-to-the-btcc/
Old 31 May 2021, 21:13 (Ref:4054139)   #3585
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this the first time in BTCC history to have 2 women drivers on the grid ? assuming that Jade Edwards doesn't lose her seat in the meantime
Old 31 May 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4054141)   #3586
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
is this the first time in BTCC history to have 2 women drivers on the grid ? assuming that Jade Edwards doesn't lose her seat in the meantime
2001 Croft, Annie Templeton and Joanna Clarke in the production class
Old 31 May 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4054147)   #3587
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let’s not forget Louise Aitken-Walker and Nettan Lindgren competed together in 89, with Barbara Cowell taking part in the two driver race that year
Old 1 Jun 2021, 00:20 (Ref:4054156)   #3588
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
No.

http://speedqueens.blogspot.com/2015...s-in-btcc.html
Old 1 Jun 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4054186)   #3589
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
andy probably feels like he is at a crossroads now, he isnt getting any younger and he has been in the best cars of the ngtc era. he has 2 options, carry on himself or make it happen for a driverrr with the talent but perhaps not the cash, going that gets his sponsors an business better coverage, no negatives from the likes of what happened at thruxton and dont deny it, a pretty girl thats a good racer is good publicity.... sometimes taking a step back does push you forward
Old 1 Jun 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4054196)   #3590
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
andy probably feels like he is at a crossroads now, he isnt getting any younger and he has been in the best cars of the ngtc era. he has 2 options, carry on himself or make it happen for a driverrr with the talent but perhaps not the cash, going that gets his sponsors an business better coverage, no negatives from the likes of what happened at thruxton and dont deny it, a pretty girl thats a good racer is good publicity.... sometimes taking a step back does push you forward
A question is whether he'd be willing to invest in the BTCC by sponsoring another driver. If yes, that'd be a good thing for the whole championship, a bit like what Blundell did. He was not a worthy addition to the grid as a driver but now his participation is immensely valuable. If Neate did it, he'd probably see his reputation rebuild over a long-term. But I can imagine that if he decides not to race anymore, he'll take all his money with him.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4054229)   #3591
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
A question is whether he'd be willing to invest in the BTCC by sponsoring another driver. If yes, that'd be a good thing for the whole championship, a bit like what Blundell did. He was not a worthy addition to the grid as a driver but now his participation is immensely valuable. If Neate did it, he'd probably see his reputation rebuild over a long-term. But I can imagine that if he decides not to race anymore, he'll take all his money with him.
I'd have thought Andy would put his money into furthering his sons career if he called time on his own. That was the reason he gave for pulling out of the Dynamics drive wasn't it? Either way, it's an odd move to step out for one meeting - especially (as already mentioned) given the long gap between the race weekends.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4054239)   #3592
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know exactly how many points he has on his licence? Could be he's one incident away from a lengthy spell on the sidelines but some of those points will have dropped off by Brands Hatch.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4054240)   #3593
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think maybe a certain Australian has had a word in Neates ear and suggested he considers his future, before said Australian decides it for him.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4054243)   #3594
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I think maybe a certain Australian has had a word in Neates ear and suggested he considers his future, before said Australian decides it for him.
reckon you might be right, alan gow is a gent, met him when he was msuk gaffer but i would not cross him, the btcc is his and he will run it how he sees fit
Old 1 Jun 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4054245)   #3595
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
reckon you might be right, alan gow is a gent, met him when he was msuk gaffer but i would not cross him, the btcc is his and he will run it how he sees fit
The only issue is what happens to the team and loss of money if alan gow stepped in
Old 1 Jun 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4054246)   #3596
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
The only issue is what happens to the team and loss of money if alan gow stepped in
I'm sure the Aussie will have a suitable replacement in mind.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4054247)   #3597
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I'm sure the Aussie will have a suitable replacement in mind.
He might - but it is very difficult grounds for him to step in and exclude a driver once disciplinary matters have already been heard and resolved by the race officials.

Given that Neate is funding a significant part of the Motorbase entry, forcing the team to remove him when matters are already resolved imposes a financial penalty on the team.

I'm sure if you were running a team in the BTCC, you wouldn't be happy with the series administrator forcing you to replace a driver and take the financial hit? As much as we accept that the administrator has free will to decide matters regarding the running of the championship, he also has to retain a healthy working relationship with participants.

The penalty points and Steward/Clerk of the Course process exists for a reason to handle on-track matters, and so they should be left to manage that with consistency. Neate's previous exclusion from the series was due to off-track matters.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4054248)   #3598
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think there is a big difference between running a championship, and dictating the internal affairs of a team.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4054251)   #3599
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think there is a big difference between running a championship, and dictating the internal affairs of a team.
If the internal affairs of a team affects the running of the championship then AG will look after the championship.

I suspect a previously mentioned comment about penalty points accruing maybe a reason, wait till they expire and come back in the championship, may be near the truth.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4054255)   #3600
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Anyone know exactly how many points he has on his licence? Could be he's one incident away from a lengthy spell on the sidelines but some of those points will have dropped off by Brands Hatch.
I think it is currently five.

20 Sep 20 - two points for an incident in Race One at Thruxton
09 May 21 - three points for an incident in Race Two at Thruxton

There may be others, but I haven't seen them published.