Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2681576)   #76
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
and even then it is better to be on the front couple of rows.
......and when are you not, Simon?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2681578)   #77
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never done a rolling start either, so can't really comment on them. I also seem to struggle for good traction in my standing starts, generally losing a couple of places into the first corner, so on that basis you might think I'd be in favour of a roller - but I'm not really. There is a definite crescendo of excitement as you sit waiting for the lights to drop, which I guess you don't get from a rolling start.

Also, to date (fingers crossed!) I've always gained back any places lost at the start by about the end of lap three, so I've never really seen it as a major problem - and it is good fun setting my sights on those few cars that got the better of me on the start, and it can actually make for a more interesting race (more interesting = more overtaking).

I do appreciate the safety implications however, but as others have said, I wonder how much safer, statistically, a rolling start is? It would be interesting to know. I do agree that it's definitely more sympathetic on the car, although I've never had a problem myself.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2681582)   #78
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I do appreciate the safety implications however, but as others have said, I wonder how much safer, statistically, a rolling start is? It would be interesting to know. I do agree that it's definitely more sympathetic on the car, although I've never had a problem myself.
I've pondered this point but it's very difficult to prove statistically. I guess that you would have to include the first corner in any analysis, the performance differentials and characteristics of the cars, the experience of the drivers.....the list is endless and I don't think it lends itself to very a very scientific survey.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2681599)   #79
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A rolling start is easier if the organisers are short on startline bodies and marshals generally. Much less chance of a staller of the grid which we then struggle to clear with low numbers, leading to a better chance that you won't get a safety car to enable a staller to be cleared...
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2681619)   #80
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I've never done a rolling start either, so can't really comment on them ........... There is a definite crescendo of excitement as you sit waiting for the lights to drop, which I guess you don't get from a rolling start.........
Having done a lot of rolling starts I can confirm we do get a crescendo of excitement, not just a few seconds but all the way round the rolling lap. I think the different views are partly down to personal preference, some poeple like short sharp highs, others prefer a long-drawn-out one. Same as the arguments between 10-lap sprint races and endurance races. 'you like rugby I like cricket' sort of thing...
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2681654)   #81
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I think you need to practice your starts.

Narrow tyres - how narrow.

Try 225's with 500bhp
How did you guess? Add 1450kgs to the equation as well!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2681655)   #82
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I would still like to know if there has been any study on the safety aspects of standing starts and rolling starts.

Most of the 'safety' arguments against standing starts such as trying to make up places, using the grass, etc., apply equally to rolling or standing starts. I accept that a stalled car on the grid is a real hazzard to those behind but, similarly, a car that is, say, in the wrong gear or suddenly oils a plug is also a hazzard in a rolling start.

On the plus side to rolling starts I concede that it is kinder on old transmissions. On the debit side is that cheating by passing before the race start is harder to detect than a jumped standing start.
You wouldnt be in the wrong gear as you would know immediately what gear you were in by the speed you were travelling and the rev counter so that scenario would never happen.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2681659)   #83
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
F1, MotoGP, WSB, BSB, WTCC, BTCC, DTM ad infinitum, all standing starts.

If you can't hack it, don't do it. A huge amount of the Buz of a "Race" is lost with a roller. With a "Proper" start you have "2" races, a drag race and then straight after a Road race.
What a narrow minded argument. I would rather all the cars make the first lap with out stalled cars and burnt out clutchs and that includes F1, how many times have we seen that? Or the carnage at the first bend. The race is for what an hour and half so lets have as many cars out there competing so we the spectators can enjoy it.

BTW I agree with MG David I have done rolling starts since short circuit days and only 4 on the circuits and trust me the excitement and build up on the warm up lap is electrifying.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 29 Apr 2010 at 13:13.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2681673)   #84
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
You wouldnt be in the wrong gear as you would know immediately what gear you were in by the speed you were travelling and the rev counter so that scenario would never happen.
Well I have to admit some responsibility when my stepson did a rolling start in my car at Croft a few years back in the wrong gear. We'd never previously done a rolling start so we discussed the start procedure. Thinking there would be a reasonable pace set (and knowing the gear ratios in the 4 speed 'box) I told him to start in 2nd gear. However, there is a hairpin at Croft just before the start line and for some reason the front row cars just did not pick up any speed approaching the line so being in second gear was totally wrong and he bogged down badly as the others roared away - as he was almost at the back of the grid this was not such a problem. Some of you will, correctly, say that he should have changed down when he realised the speed was low and he was just about to when the speed of the others picked up!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2681677)   #85
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the bravado of the 'blood and guts' racing starts being the be all and end all,rubbish! A roller IS far safer,regarding mechanical breakage,anything that is mechanical is inherently liable to breakage,the nature of the component,however old,is that it is still made in steel/aluminium,neither of which can be said to be 'bullet proof'.I just hope that these words are not proven correct on any start line!!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2681732)   #86
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deeply confused by the title of this thread. Rolling starts are historic if that was how the race- Indy etc- was started in period-if not it ain't historic.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2681738)   #87
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in the middle of that multiple startline shunt at Cadwell mentioned previously and I can confirm that it wasn't very pleasant and was very expensive to a number of people. I believe it was duplicated a couple of weeks later by the F1 circus at Spa with similar results. I'm now involved in rolling starts with upto 60 starters on the Continent and as well as being safer it's less stressful but the start of race buzz is still there.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2681794)   #88
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Can a mod put up a poll to this thread so we can have a vote as the consensus looks in favour of rollers.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2681834)   #89
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think the thread should change to rolling stones in motorsport

or strolling bones in geriatric motorsport perhaps
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2681894)   #90
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, this thread proves that we all have different views for different reasons...but is anyone really so shallow as to not want to race in a particular series just because of the start procedure? If you're going to call yourself a racing driver you just knuckle down and get on with it! Either is a proper skill, and you need to have it in your armoury.

Me? I enjoy both...we do rollers in FISC and Club 100 karting and it's no less frantic than a standing start...but I've had some ballistic standing starts thanks to my background in hillclimbs & sprints...so I really don't mind

IMO the "drag race" to the first corner from a standing start is just an ego trip - my car's faster than yours because my wallet's bigger than yours.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2681912)   #91
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can a mod put up a poll to this thread so we can have a vote as the consensus looks in favour of rollers
I personally dont think thats a good idea,in my original post in the Masters thread i was just commenting on the inability of a number of drivers to keep a tight rolling grid.This looked to me as a spectator as being very unprofessional.

To have a poll would just encourage the factional element.
I believe there's room for both methods of starting a race and we should be able to handle both methods.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2681958)   #92
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well, this thread proves that we all have different views for different reasons...but is anyone really so shallow as to not want to race in a particular series just because of the start procedure?

IMO the "drag race" to the first corner from a standing start is just an ego trip - my car's faster than yours because my wallet's bigger than yours.

I certainly have no objection to a rolling start - as stated, I've just never tried it. And I definitely would not avoid a given series just because of its start procedure. Variety is the spice of life an' all that!

However, Midgetman's last comment about the 'drag race' to the first corner kind of touches on what I said earlier - I generally lose out in said 'drag race', possibly partly because my car isn't that quick off the line, and my wallet certainly ain't bigger than anyone's (I'm generally on pretty sh*gged out tyres for one!) - but I don't mind, because it's kinda fun spending the next couple of laps trying to stick it back to 'em! 'Them' in this case being the aforementioned 'bigger wallet' brigade.

Completely lost track now of what point, if any, I was trying to make...

Oh well, it's getting late, make of it what you will.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2682024)   #93
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
How did you guess? Add 1450kgs to the equation as well!
Hardly a race car at 1450kg! You might want to get that yank on a diet. Weight = traction. Just start in second.

And it is not a drag race so much as showing another side to your driving skill (or lack of if) if you can't get the car of the line well, not a power wallet race.