Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3723380)   #76
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plenty of people have stopped watching and doing plenty of things. That's cool. Things change and people change. However, constantly posting and / or talking about doing so and not actually doing it is what annoys me. It reminds me of the old saying: "Crap already or get off the pot."
Old 3 Apr 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3723390)   #77
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Plenty of people have stopped watching and doing plenty of things. That's cool. Things change and people change. However, constantly posting and / or talking about doing so and not actually doing it is what annoys me. It reminds me of the old saying: "Crap already or get off the pot."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Found it funny the other day when there was a link to a DSC article comparing 2008 lap times at Monza - the last time an ACO-sanctioned series raced there - and the times from the prologue this week, and people were drooling over the looks of those late 2000s LMP1 cars.

I remember posts on this very forum complaining about the looks of those closed prototypes when they were actually being raced.

Every year, there's a dramatic change to moan about and yet when you're trackside, the racing is still racing. When I saw three factory P1 cars stamp on the brakes right in front of me at Indianapolis at dawn at Le Mans last year, to be honest, I wasn't really thinking about fuel flow meters or anything like that...

I'm not sure how the WEC era will be remembered, because I don't think it's ever quite reached the heights to be described as a golden age - but it's certainly going to be remembered fondly. It would be a shame for some fans to look back at this era and think that they found holes to pick the whole way through it.
Here here! I'm not a dinosaur, but not a spring chicken either, and no matter what, going to a track to see cars being raced by people is hard to beat. Doesn't matter if the cars are appealing on paper (or the internet) they are great in person.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 03:08 (Ref:3723402)   #78
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Things are converging, just like it is in GT3 with the sleeker profile cars being more prevalent than big GT cruisers. There's this trivial (imo) green push in the auto world and the racing series that are high profile are following this to be relevant. It's the changing times. I don't think it's that bad, we get fast race cars that look good. Maybe not as good looking or as quick as in the past, but the racing is close.
If you want to talk about convergence in the 90s over half the entire field was running 3-3.6L turbos at Le Mans.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 04:01 (Ref:3723406)   #79
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Now you know why, among other reasons, I have you on ignore. And I have less and less desire to be on forums, too. I have better things to do.
Then leave. I find it funny that you have me on ignore but find the need to see my posts and respond to them.

Quote:
Exactly, it's just like those guys on crapwagon that absolutely abhor the IRL/IndyCar, yet have things to comment on about every single race, that they'd only know by watching the race.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3723498)   #80
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Exactly, it's just like those guys on crapwagon that absolutely abhor the IRL/IndyCar, yet have things to comment on about every single race, that they'd only know by watching the race.
Yeah ... IndyCar folks are funny that way.

As far as what else has been said ... Let It Go.

Holding on to the past ... or what worked for you in the past ... kills the present and the future. Maybe you will find something you like much better than you ever did racing ... or maybe racing will come back ... or whatever. Who cares?

What precisely gives your life meaning is important only to you. Something should work for you ... unless maybe you have an issue with clinical depression. Assuming you are just going through a re-evaluation period ... the ... deal with it. You are looking for new answers and until you have them, not much will make sense.

That's life.

No one here is telling anything you don't already know.

Watch racing or don't ... whatever.

It's just people driving in circles in cars.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3723502)   #81
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
It's just people driving in circles in cars.
At any point in conversations with people regarding sports and how interesting we perceive viewing these sports can be, I throw out this phrase almost verbatim - I enjoy watching cars driving in circles, so watch whatever floats your boat.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3723514)   #82
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
At any point in conversations with people regarding sports and how interesting we perceive viewing these sports can be, I throw out this phrase almost verbatim - I enjoy watching cars driving in circles, so watch whatever floats your boat.
There was a great thread on Twitter the other day about badly explaining things...

Really, my hobbies can be broken down pretty easily.

1. I like to watch cars drive in circles for an entire day
2. I enjoy big sweaty men in spandex playing with a ball made from a dead pig.
3. I like walking long distances while beating a small ball with a club.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Apr 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3723519)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watching cars going round and round is still a good pastime to me, certainly a good way to pass the weekend
Old 3 Apr 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3723540)   #84
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
1. I like to watch cars drive in circles for an entire day
2. I enjoy big sweaty men in spandex playing with a ball made from a dead pig.
3. I like walking long distances while beating a small ball with a club.
I have a few more cause I've got 2 boys under 12, but yeah; I have people laugh at me when I tell them I try to watch all 24 of a race.

As for #3, my brother walked from Georgia to Maine, so I wouldn't call it "long" distance, but point taken! I'll watch people do that, especially females....

Speaking of which....
Old 3 Apr 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3723550)   #85
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I think OP's real problem is that he confuses watching motorsport on TV with motor sport. The former is watching 2D images of stuff a director has decided to show you with a commentator telling you what you are seeing . All from your stuffy front room and with rubbish sound .

Try getting up at dawn , driving a couple of hours and spending a day watching anything live - drag racing would blow away the cobwebs and a day's historiic racing never fails to please .

And stop watching the bloody TV !
Old 3 Apr 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3723559)   #86
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have a few more cause I've got 2 boys under 12
Oh, building objects out of plastic blocks that if stepped on, you'd never wish upon your worst enemy?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3723574)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Oh, building objects out of plastic blocks that if stepped on, you'd never wish upon your worst enemy?
Correct, amongst other things, like trampoline maintenance...
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3723577)   #88
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curling used to be da bomb but then it just too expensive and boring. Now I follow the LPGA. Great controversy there.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3723584)   #89
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Correct, amongst other things, like trampoline maintenance...
Trampoline re-weaving is just terrible. Once those springs have sprung? Just buy a new one.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3723591)   #90
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Curling used to be da bomb but then it just too expensive and boring.
Don't you be dissing people sliding rocks and sweeping ice, now ... I've been hooked since the Vancouver Olympics.

Any chance I ever had of getting my wife to think i was sane went away when she saw me watching people competitively sweeping an ice rink.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:42 (Ref:3723599)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I love curling. Looks like a wonderful drinking game. Unfortunately, very little ice in these parts....
Quote:
Trampoline re-weaving is just terrible. Once those springs have sprung? Just buy a new one.
It's the safety net. Zip ties and duct tape and she's good for another month or until the next overcrowded hood kid slam dance.

And it was free. Once it's gone, there's no replacement in waiting.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3723600)   #92
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem with racing today is that we need more people like this to look up to and then pin our hopes that it'll make the sport better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxn_Anj-xhU
Old 4 Apr 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3723610)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'm watching live curling from Edmonton. U-S-A! Down the Canucks.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3723622)   #94
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Try getting up at dawn , driving a couple of hours and spending a day watching anything live - drag racing would blow away the cobwebs and a day's historiic racing never fails to please .

Exactly that, 2 weeks time and summer starts again with historic weekend at Road Atlanta. The stock cars and TAs will clear the cobwebs in seconds coming down the back stretch. Kudkus even more so when they work.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 03:55 (Ref:3723626)   #95
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
In curling news, USA lose to their neighbors from the north (AKA America's hat) and now are facing the Swiss. Someone will eventually win a prize and it's likely to be Canada. Dig deep into the interwebs to find the results, because I am getting tired of Monday and am tapping out.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3723628)   #96
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Pending kids soccer (football) schedules, I'll head to Southern Nationals for some drags. It's fantastically good nonsense...
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Exactly that, 2 weeks time and summer starts again with historic weekend at Road Atlanta. The stock cars and TAs will clear the cobwebs in seconds coming down the back stretch. Kudkus even more so when they work.
And again, hoping some relief for my favorite event of the year where I can find some time on Saturday for the Mitty. Plenty of Porsches for the 40th anniversary.......
Old 4 Apr 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3723629)   #97
Maelochs
Veteran

John "Hit or Miss" Schuster led the US team to an ignominious defeat, 8-2 or 1-2 after seven ends. The Canads will win the title again ... and again ... and again ....

I already got my dose of live racing ... all of Sebring and St. Pete including PWC.

Sebring showed me again how freaking amazing a race can be trackside while it is bland as crap on the box.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3723707)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think OP's real problem is that he confuses watching motorsport on TV with motor sport. The former is watching 2D images of stuff a director has decided to show you with a commentator telling you what you are seeing . All from your stuffy front room and with rubbish sound .

Yes, once you're at a race, you enjoy it more bring closer to the action and seeing why the drivers earn their dosh
Old 4 Apr 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3723715)   #99
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent a really good day @ Santa Pod on Sunday, that cleared my senses and reminded me why I love Drag racing. Looking forward to 3 days @ Easter.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3723719)   #100
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Spent a really good day @ Santa Pod on Sunday, that cleared my senses and reminded me why I love Drag racing. Looking forward to 3 days @ Easter.
I went to see the Top Fuel dragsters at Santa Pod last year for the first time. Never seen anything like it! Well recommended.