Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2383051)   #51
Damon Meek
Rookie

Damon Meek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga FA81 and March 76B

Hello. My name is Damon Meek. I came across the discussions regarding Tiga Formula Atlantic cars and would like to offer what I know about the Tiga Atlantic car I raced in SCCA Club Racing and the WCAR Series
in 1984 and 1985 and the March 76B I raced in 1982.

My car was Tiga FA81 #164. It was never a Garvin Brown car, and as someone else already indicated, was not the same car campaigned by Rick Bowers.

I purchased my car from John Sheldon immediately after the Macau Grand Prix through arrangements made by Howden Ganley. I was given the option of an F3 car converted to Atlantic spec for slightly less money, but chose this car.

It was quite the mess when it arrived. Its condition was not described properly by anyone's standard. About the only thing holding the back half of the car on was the throttle cable. I resigned myself to going through the car completely. Luckily, Howden Ganley was kind enough to provide various parts and some bodywork after I documented the sub standard condition of the car.

Chris Heil, the brother of a friend and the creator of the Daedalus Sports 2000 car went through it completely in Sacramento California 1983. I misssed the entire 1983 season because of that down-time. The same front suspension and bodywork updates done to Ed Pimm's car by Dave White of Garvin Brown were done at this time. I painted the car white with blue and yellow stripes. With all the work done by Chris Heil and fresh paint, the result was a beautiful car that almost too nice to race.

These cars certainly had their good and bad points. The tunnels were somewhat wider and more aggressively shaped than the tunnels on a Ralt RT4. These cars made high speed down-force like there's no tomorrow.
Without the right limited slip though, putting power down out of a slow speed corner was a different story. Changing an engine is a bit of a nightmare in comparison the an RT4. In addition, I don't believe the different gearbox offered any advantage from smaller lighter internals worth having beyond allowing for a portion of the wider tunnels.

Considering the stringiest of shoe string budgets that I had, reasonable results were achieved during 1984 and 1985. I ultimately felt that getting a Ralt RT4 was probably a better choice. Mainly because there was
so much more information out there regarding set up, etc... It was pretty difficult having to find my way on everything.

I sold the car to a guy named Ken Vanhee who was just getting out of the Navy in San Francisco. He took the car back to the Detroit area. Shortly after that, Peter Gates contacted me because he had just acquired it.
Peter sold it to Paul Poore and that was the last I heard until now.

Ducfer. If you read this, please email me some pictures. I'd really be interested to see the car almost 25 years after it left my hands. My email is k1.damon@gmail.com

In regard to my March 76B, it was 76B-02 and was originally a Douglas Sheirson Racing car campaigned by Cliff Hanson. Bobby Rahal was his teamate that year, so I suppose it's possible that he drove it at one time as well.

I purchased it in November 1981 from Tom Contino in Ontario California. He had previously campaigned it succesfully in SCCA Club Racing. I merely rented a little shop space from John Della Penna. John never owned
this or any other March. He had a Ralt RT1 at the time.

I know everyone will groan when I say that I purchased the entire set up from Tom Contino for $18,500. The car was very nice and had a fresh Willis engine. It came with a wide selection of FT200 gears, 2 noses, a spare rear wing, a new set of Jongbloed wheels, 2 sets of March wheels, spare side pods, various other spares and special tools, a 24 volt starter cart, an 18 foot on the floor enclosed trailor and a 1978 Dodge Maxi Van that ran on gas or propane. All for $18,500. Yes, I know. I'm thinking about slitting my wrists as I write this.

I raced the car in 1982 and won the SCCA Regional Championship. Then, like most everybody else of the day, felt that I had to have a ground effects car. ( See Tiga FA81 story above.) I sold the March as a roller and all the parts to build another BDA to Lee Follansbee. I kept my engine for the Tiga. I have absolutely no knowledge of where it is now. If anybody else does, please let me know.

I hope some of this information will be helpful to somebody. Don't hesitate to contact me if anybody has a specific question. k1.damon@gmail.com

Sincerely
Damon Meek
Old 31 Jan 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2383081)   #52
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon
Many thanks and welcome to the forum. A striking amount of detail there!
Information on both March and Tiga very useful.
Bobby Rahal drops into this forum from time to time, so perhaps he can tell us if he drove Hansen's car at all in the 76 season. [I think that Wink Bancroft may have done]

I have a further question: in 86 you ran a few WCAR races in a Ralt RT4. You advertised it in On Track 29 Sept 86 p.88, 1981 RT4, Bahner tub, Jennings.
It may not have carried a plate by this time, but could you tell me more about that car. Who it came from and who you sold it to may well be enough to identify it.

Chris
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2383326)   #53
Damon Meek
Rookie

Damon Meek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
81 Ralt RT4

Chris:

I don't recall the chassis number of my Ralt RT4. You may be correct about it not even having a plate by then. I can't say for sure either way. It was an 81. I bought it from Zephyr Racing, who previously ran it for HJ Long. I was completely out of money by that point and really shouldn't have even bought it. The series was getting stronger. It seemed the more money I was able to direct toward racing from my regular 8 hour a day job, the farther behind I got anyway. Therefore, the Ralt became more of a utilitarian piece for me as I was realizing I was going to have to stop. I really wasn't in love with the car. I believe I only raced it once at Laguna and once at Sears Point and sold it. As I write this, I can't even recall who I sold it to. If I think of who it was later, I'll let you know.

Sincerely
Damon Meek
Old 9 Feb 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2391770)   #54
Ducfer
Rookie

Ducfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Meek

Ducfer. If you read this, please email me some pictures. I'd really be interested to see the car almost 25 years after it left my hands. My email is k1.damon@gmail.com
Damon:

Photos taken this weekend sent to you this morning.

Best:
Ducfer
Old 9 Feb 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2391843)   #55
Ducfer
Rookie

Ducfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally figured out how to post pics. Here is Tiga FA 81 - 164.
Best:
Ducfer
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0292.JPG   DSC_0296.JPG   DSC_0300.JPG  

DSC_0299.JPG   DSC_0302.JPG  
Old 5 Apr 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2433695)   #56
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings Mr. Townsend,

I've stumbled across this site, and your particular corner of it, for the first time this evening. The extent of your research is amazing! There is one minor detail I can add to the Tiga F/A discussion, and then on to my question...

The chassis advertised for sale at Rick Capone's in West Palm Beach, Florida was in all likelyhood a Phipps car. I do not know this as fact, but am aware of a working relationship between the two: I was previously hired by Mr. Capone as a mechanic on Phipp's March 80A, and campaigned Hubert's car in 1981 under the employ of Stimola Race prep. There seems to be much discussion in another thread about that car, so I'll drop in over there as well.

Back to Tiga...my relationship with Mr. Phipps had ended after the '81 SCCA campaign, so I don't know about his history with that marque. But the suspicion about the car for sale by Capone is worth consideration. What really brought me here was a search for the 1982 Tiga 5 litre Can Am car driven by Rex Ramsey at Riverside, California. I believe that was the first and only Can Am series start for this one-off chassis. I have found no other information on this car, and the present principles at Tiga could shed no light. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your stewardship of this archive; I wish my memory of that point in my own career could yeild such specific information. It's fun to relive a bit of the history.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 5 Apr 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2433763)   #57
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
What really brought me here was a search for the 1982 Tiga 5 litre Can Am car driven by Rex Ramsey at Riverside, California. I believe that was the first and only Can Am series start for this one-off chassis. I have found no other information on this car, and the present principles at Tiga could shed no light. Any thoughts?
This could be because it didn't exist. An early version of Martin Krejci's data still in existence on the web says Ramsey drove a Tiga at Riverside but I'm pretty sure that's a typo. He drove his usual Lola T530 on that occasion.

The Tiga CA80 appeared twice in 1980 with Schuppan driving. The last record I have of it was when it was in northern California in 2002. There was also a second incomplete car in existence at that time.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2434157)   #58
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga Can Am

We took delivery of the second Tiga car about ten days before the Las Vegas race in 1982. Picked it up at the airport, and brought it to a warehouse adjacent to some FF guy's shop in Sacramento, California. Inside the same warehouse was the Schuppan black Tiga, discarded after what, two races in 1981?

After flogging on the car to prepare it for it's first outing, we arrived at Vegas just in time for the first practice. One of the last things we did before we left Sacramento was to yank the airbox from the old black car and affix it to Rex's shiny yellow new one: Mr. Ganley had neglected to include this bit of trivia.

The first practice was a shakedown, to be sure: a driver learning to negotiate his way through a parking lot full of concrete barriers, in a totally unproven car. Goodyear engineers poked the tires, and couldn't believe how close I had gotten the chassis setup when they read the temps. Al Holbert came over and started looking around.

Right away, the problems became evident. We were boiling the rear brakes, and furiously started fabbing ducts and insulating the fluid hoses. I have a photo of that. It was 104 F ambient on the tarmac, but the problem was that the halfshaft angularity was cooking the Porsche C.V. joints. After the second practice, we rolled out the Lola. That was the ex-Brabham VDS Lola, which we had started the season with at Road Atlanta (P 4) and run in every event to that point. Rex qualified it 21st, and we finished the race P15. Holbert looked at us many times that day, in the mirror every ten laps.

Pete Halsmer helped us shake down the new Tiga in preparation for the next event at Riverside. Jon Anderson told me that when they heared Halsmer going flat through one particular corner, all the VDS (Holbert's) guys came out to watch for a bit. We flogged some more.

Ramsey qualified the 1982 Tiga for the Riverside Can Am. The car was retired, somewhere around lap 27: the rear suspension crossmember failed. I can't be more specific, as I was in the hospital at the time. On the false grid, I sneaked a kiss from one of the bikini models sitting on John Morton's Daffy Swimwear Frisbee. Trotting away, I jumped up and clicked my heels. When I came down, my right leg snapped above the ankle. The race was delayed while I was trundled off in an ambulance from pit lane. Both me and the NEW Tiga were DNF'ed that day.

If you can find "On Track" magazine from October 21, 1982 (Volume 2, No.20) you can corroborate both of these structural failures. Page 16 is mine, and 17 lists the Riverside race results of the Tiga. My little shunt was also reported in the L.A. Times. Oh well, hilarious pub is better than no pub at all.

Fortunately, I lived to run another day. I do not believe the 1982 Tiga Can Am car ever did, but I'd love to share that story too. I'm sorry you don't have any information to share.

Andrew Bernstein
Ramsey Solution Racing, 1982
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2434290)   #59
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
great info
was the girl worth it??
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2434564)   #60
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Thanks. Are they ever?

As the gurney was being slid into the back of the ambulance, she came over and planted a kiss on my cheek. Almost made me grow another leg at that moment.

In my haste this morning, I neglected to thank Mr. Brown for his input. I never knew much about the black car, which he states was CA80 and competed in 1980. The only scuttlebutt about it that I recall was concerning some massive problems with front tire wear. Perhaps the front suspension geometry had never been sorted: we certainly had the same sort of difficulties with the rear of the second car. One of the last jobs I recall before the Riverside race was fabbing some pent roof gusset plates for the rear rockers. Jon Anderson welded them on for me in the VDS trailer. No drama, indeed.

So absent of more information, I'll assume the screaming yellow 1982 car with the black airbox was CA82. And back in Northern California is where I will continue my inquiries. The "second incomplete car", although never really finished, was at least complete for less than one month...and less than one race.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2434634)   #61
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting Andrew. I'm not in a position to reread any reports just now but I will when I'm back home.

Did Ramsey keep the Tiga for long? Within a few weeks he'd bought a Frissbee as well. Were you involved with that car too?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2434737)   #62
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Ramsey Solution Racing, Budweiser-7/11 Can Am Series, 1982

Greeting Mr. Brown,

Thank you for your note. The brevity of your questions cannot be matched by my answers, but I'll try not to ramble.

Following the Riverside DNF in the yellow Tiga (CA82?), Rex started the final Bud-7/11 Can Am series race of the season at Laguna Seca in the Lola. As you may already know, this was the VDS Lola T-530 that had won the 1981 Championship in the hands of Geoff Brabham...and the car Ramsey started every 1982 Can Am race in, save Riverside. Ryan Falconer engines, by the way, and always lots of "happy horsepower".

I was relegated to a spot on the Laguna infield at this point, leg in a full cast and nurse Marsha by my side. There was a hell of a mid-race shunt, far from my vantage point, which took Rex out. I believe Randy Lewis (CRC-1, ex-Holbert) was involved, perhaps John Kalagian as well: I have little memory and no documentation.

At some point during the season, Rex had decided to attempt to qualify for the SCCA Runoffs in A Sports Racing. My only recollection of an SCCA national we attended was at Pocono Pennsylvania in late summer. There are two photos of Rex's Lola from that event in a flickr file posted by a friend of yours: they are mislabelled as 1980, and are from perhaps August of 1982. One shows Rex duelling with Ken Slagle's yellow TR8 convertible (C Production, I think).

I don't know if Rex had purchased CA80, but my impression was that it was at our disposal as a last resort and dormant in the Sacramento warehouse. The yellow Tiga had been sent to a California race prep shop, owned by a guy I never really met. I don't know where the Lola was trundled off to after Laguna, perhaps the same Mustache Man's workshop. So Ramsey has finished the Can Am Series, has no mount, and has a date at Road Atlanta to compete with Jerry Hansen.

By this point, preoccupied with cast and nurse, I have been relegated to a lesser role in my participation. I was flown to Atlanta for the Runoffs, and there sits the red Budweiser Frisbee of Newman-Haas Racing...wasn't that Danny Sullivan's ride, before the March? The arrangement was never made clear to me as to whether Ramsey had purchased, or merely rented, the car and one mechanic for this single event. Light it up.

A wet weather spin in the first session, and I'm laying up fibreglass. My recollection is that Rex qualified on the pole, was abruptly passed by Hansen, and motored around behind to finish second. Time to clean up, and clock out.

So my racing history essentially ends there, and the history of these four vehicles is unknown to me after November 1982. The photo of the yellow Tiga, sans rear bodywork, is on the wall in my Jaguar repair shop. I often wonder what became of that car. That's what brought me here: I'm not on a campaign to aggrandize my sliver of experience in the annals of motor racing lore. I'm just a guy looking for a car I used to know.

The hidden joy in finding my way to this unbelievable library is that I have come across the current owner of a particular March 80A. I knew that car better than I knew my first wife, and it will be more fun to reminisce about. Nurse Marsha is another story, best saved for another site.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 6 Apr 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2434771)   #63
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Dangling thread

Here's what I found today on Racing Sports Cars:

The Tiga CA 80 is listed for the two 1980 California rounds as Mr. Brown correctly stated. That's the black sleeper in the Sacramento warehouse in Oct. '82. End of trail.

The yellow Tiga CA 82 (?) is not listed anywhere, and the Lola is incorrectly listed as the car Ramsey ran at the '82 Riverside round. No trail.

The VDS Lola T-530 is listed as chassis HU#4, and there are no entries posted for this chassis after Rex's completion of the 1982 season. End of trail?

I can't figure anything out about the Frissbee, although it is correctly shown as Ramsey's ride at the SCCA Runoffs. I know for certain it had been a Newman-Haas property: mid-week during the runoffs, Paul stuck his head in the truck as we were leaving and asked, "How do you like the car?" It was Bud red and so adorned, and one of the guys who wrenched for Danny Sullivan's March came with it as the hands-on advisor. Little guy, California-mustache-sunglasses type.

The Newman-Haas team had flogged on the March all season, trying to make it competitive with Unser Jr.'s Galles Frissbees and with Holbert's VDS. The Bud Frissbee may have been a trailer queen, kept as a T car for Sullivan in the event the March plan was deemed as untenable.

So I don't know who had previously driven that Frissbee, and it certainly was not a Galles car. Racing Sports Cars lists a no-show by Ramsey for a single event in 1983: a Frissbee is shown in the entry. The guess would be that Rex in fact was the owner of that car, but drove it in only the one race at the '82 SCCA Runoffs. End of trail?

There is a grainy black and white photo of the Ramsey Solution Lola from the '82 Trois Riviere race. That's me on the right side, with the vent bottle. Pictures from '82 Vegas or Riverside will substantiate the Tiga tale, but I have none of the complete car. I'll keep looking, and any leads are appreciated.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 6 Apr 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2434800)   #64
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
slip knot

Martin's excellent site shows the Newman-Haas Frissbee as 5T, run in practice at the '82 Vegas race. So the car that Rex bought was a Sullivan T car.

Lola T-530 HU #4 apparently was resurrected to fight another day, with two subsequent owners listed after a few dormant years.

No Tiga CA tales, no way, no how.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2434833)   #65
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Pictured:

#38, Danny Johnson, Chevron B24 #73-02

#63, Horst Kwech, Toleman TG280 (Under 2 Litre class)

#22, Rex Ramsey, Tiga (CA 82?)

John Morton, Frissbee. The number 46 is illegible, but I remember the car quite well. CGI/ Daffy Swimwear. My leg still hurts when it rains.

http://classicracingphotos.com/Galle...g2_itemId=2041

The caption does not specify the event, but all the facts fit. The scrub terrain sure looks like Riverside back then. This was not the start of the race, probably lap 15 or so as Morton was approaching Ramsey to lap him.

That's Rex's plain white helmet. I don't remember what happened to the black air box from Vegas, either Ganley brought the new one over or it stopped at a paint shop.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 8 Apr 2009, 06:46 (Ref:2436411)   #66
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Tiga Can Am and other notes

So it appears that the answers I provided in another thread are of little interest, and the questions I brought here with me have inspired the same reaction.

Mr. Brown, following are additions/ corrections to your history of the 1982 Budweiser 7/11 Can Am Challenge Race Series as chronicled on oldracingcars.com. Some are small, others are smaller:

Round #3, Mid Ohio 6/27/82

The Ramsey Solution Racing Lola T-530 was indeed a DNF. The input shaft was snapped off cleanly, and all parties agreed this to be operator error. The guy who was building the diffs at that point, and who now spends too much time at his computer, was relieved to find that his work was not at fault. DNF input shaft.

Round #4, Elkhart Lake 7/25/82

Same car, same sorry result, different cause. This was an engine failure: to be precise, two of them. We lost an engine in practice as well. Although not directly responsible, as 1/3 of the crew I share 1/3 of the blame...this was an oil starvation issue that we failed to properly identify and correct. Exactly zero of the blame goes to Falconer Racing Engines.
DNF oil starvation.

Round #7, Caesar's Palace 9/26/82

My fault for constantly calling this "Vegas", it's easier to spell.
Sullivan's Frissbee is correctly listed as a T car which did not post a qualifying time. Below that should read:

T Rex Ramsey Tiga-Chevrolet V8 (Only used in practice)
Ramsey Solution

Round #8, Riverside 10/3/82

This is what drove me here, and "On Track" 10/21/82 got it right:

P29 Rex Ramsey Tiga-Chevrolet V8 L29 DNF Suspension

A few thoughts to consider before I close:

I'm only guessing this chassis would be designated as CA82, so I'll leave that out of my own lexicon until confirmed.

Rex managed to qualify the car P9. Although still well off the pace set by the Big Three, I would consider this an acceptable showing in a field of 34, and for a new chassis design in its first timed session. Blast the structural failures to follow.

The same magazine issue cited previously has the complete story of the red Frissbee you asked about. This was in fact the car Danny Sullivan won the 1981 Caeser's Palace event with, in Garvin Brown Racing blue, and was raced by Sullivan in the preceding 1981 events at Riverside and Laguna. Apparently the Las Vegas cameo, dressed in a Bud red suit, was it's only appearance during the 1982 season...until Rex qualified it on the pole at the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta. Carve that in stone as well.

That's all I have to tell, and I'm off to continue my Tiga hunt elsewhere. If anyone has details to share about the history and/ or disposition of the yellow Tiga, or of the black Tiga CA80 Schuppan car, please post your information here. Thanks and best wishes,

Andrew Bernstein
Old 8 Apr 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2436474)   #67
driftwood
Veteran

Great post Andrew

1 Nurse Marsha tales please ( racecars are boring now!! )

2 your engine failurs duie to oil starvation- I am remineded of a comment an engine builder told us 25 years ago most engine failures are due to installation problems not engine builders mistakes in teh workshop!"
Judd will not allow anyone to start the V10 f1 engine in thoer own car after arebuild unless 1 of theor technicians is present to witnes the installation and lap top to see the water oil temps and when they are staisfied they allow you to start your engine
once started and it runs to full working temps they walk away the rest is down to you!

3 Can am cars
Lola t530 we had 3 or 4 over in the UK circa 83 ish
John Foulston bought 2 cars i beleive ex VDS cars later Andrew Ratcliffe brought 1 car over and i think he had been working in can am or indyacr arena Mike wilds dorve teh car in Thundersports i think 1 car was written off and Ratcliffe either bought another usa car over or may have bought the 2nd Foulston car
Budweiser March 817 827 cars all 3 came to UK circa 83
also the 2 847 cars came to Uk for Thundersports around 87
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2436535)   #68
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a Frisbee here DW also, if you remember.

I assume the Tigas were based on F2 tubs, similar to the one Hottinger used, fatally, in
F2 early in 1980?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2436561)   #69
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
So it appears that the answers I provided in another thread are of little interest, and the questions I brought here with me have inspired the same reaction.
Andrew

I'm on holiday at the moment with very limited web access. I can't give this my full attention until I get back.

Allen
Old 8 Apr 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2436579)   #70
driftwood
Veteran

Dan i did try racking my brains before i closed my posting
could not recall the Frisbee but i bet it was Colin Pool after he flogged off the bud march cars
to be honest when i looked at Krecji Canam results i always read the Tiga CA82 car as an F2 car with can am bodywork fitted
Old 9 Apr 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2437127)   #71
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Greetings again,

My thanks to Driftwood, Don Rear, and Allen Brown for your responses!

Driftwood, I'd like to tell you more about Marsha's tail....um, tale... but I'm not sure how it really ended. I still have the key to one of the ankle cuffs....

On a further recreational note: Allen, I hope you are enjoying your holiday, and hope my impatience wasn't expressed in a way that implied disdain. After following around in your footsteps for several days, and learning from the ardor that all of you share for this research, I am amazed. And a bit infatuated with it myself.

Allen, I wonder if you realized the answer when you first read my description of where I had seen the Tiga Sisters together....

Dan and DW, I know nothing of F2 race cars, so your posts prompted me to start hunting more Tiga. I have a photo of the rear of the yellow Tiga Can Am car, sans bodywork: my hope was to find any similar views of the F2 Tiga for comparison. Now that I have an inkling of what you were referring to, I'm guessing alot of U-2 class cars were built that way in that era. By comparison, the 5 Litre cars were monsterous.

Thanks to both of you for the info about the U.K. repatriated/ imported cars. I didn't recognize any of the names, but enough of these loose ends on the table eventually get woven into kevlar, right?

So a search brought me back to this site, this thread, and a reading of it from the beginning. It's funny how much the history connects to posts on the March 80A thread, thanks to the Phipps boy.

When I came to Swede 9's post here, the light bulb went off. The warehouse I described in Sacramento must logically have been the industrial park where Proformula...the Tiga importer...was located. The main man there was a smaller built guy, maybe 30 years old, and the name Steve rings a bell. To me, he was some dude with a prep shop who was providing us the workspace to ready the new Tiga. One of Rex's pals. I was alot more "bumpsteer", and alot less "handshake" back then.

I haven't yet found a contact resource for Proformula, and I realize the amount of time that has passed and the likelyhood it may be long gone. I have a call in to someone named Steve Farnsworth, and perhaps it will pan out.

He is not the Mustache Man I referred to. That guy was someone else who Rex knew, and was a local restorer/ fabricator type. That's who brought us the beefier C.V. joints for Riverside, so maybe he was a Porshe guy. He was tall, with a handle bar and an attitude. Perhaps Rex knew him from back is his early Formula 5000 days, both of them were in their early 40's at the time of Riverside in 1982.

So now I am left to connect the dots as they were, and propose a few:

The black CA 80 is comatose at Proformula.
The broken yellow 1982 Tiga leaves Riverside to be repaired by Mustache.
To make matters worse, Rex's T-530 Lola gets creamed the next weekend at Laguna. More work for Mustache.
Maybe he never gets around to repairing the Tiga, but somebody eventually fixes the Lola...and guess where it is advertised for sale in 1983, labeled as an ex-Parick Tambay T-530 as described on oldracingcars.com???

Proformula.

Allen, your presumption was quite right, that must have been HU4. Rex bought the car from VDS, and the Count used to stop by and look in on us every once in a while...especially at Mid Ohio. That was the Geoff Brabham car for a fact. If you look at the red T-530 pictured on your site, and then at Rex's car, you can see that the yellow and black stripes were merely painted on over the previous blue and white ones. The stripes on the nose covered the previous car number. The guy who did it was some old hippie at Ramsey's shop Ft. Lauderdale, Florida named "The Wiz".

"As you may know"....ummm..... I wasn't aware until now that Brabham only ran half the '81 championship season in HU4, my apology. I was repeating the catch phrases that were being used when I arrived at Ramsey's around May 7 of '82. The name Patric Tambay was tossed around like a gold coin, but I have no idea if he really ever sat in HU4 or not.

Sorry to all you Tiga guys for putting knots in this thread. I do have a few clues on the yellow 1982 Can Am car now, thanks to all of you. And you got a few nuggets of the Sullivan Frisbee and the T-530 HU4 Lola.

Please add anything you can to unlock a secret or two. I have this nagging problem with keys....

Andrew Bernstein
Old 9 Apr 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2437582)   #72
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Wrong Steve Farnsworth in Sacramento. Got keys?
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2437860)   #73
biante2318
Rookie

biante2318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew, both Tigas still exist and both are in Northern California. One is in Citrus Heights and one is in Salinas. Not sure which is which but the one in Salinas has a FGB trans instead of the ubiquitois (sp?) DG300. If Mr Brown contacts the ensign guy in NorCal I will pass on as many details as possible. I will try to contact the 2 owners and direct them to this site on your behalf Andrew.

cheers
Old 10 Apr 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2437943)   #74
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
What's that jingling I hear?

On behalf of a bunch of people named Steve Farnsworth, who were about to receive cold calls from a crazed old man, I THANK YOU !!!!

I'd guess the FGB box is the 1982 car. The photo I have only shows the corner of the suspension tie plate, but it's in the correct relative position. I just found a photo of a 1982 Theodore F5000 and it had an FGB, so it fits the period. Likely too state of the art (read expensive) at the time for the CA80. Wish I could remember, I went through that box before we ever ran the car...it wasn't new, and I found a cracked reverse idler shaft.

Maybe I'll have a chance to come look for myself. Unbelievable. Flat out unbelievable...

Biante, in return for your full disclosure, I shall withhold any castigation for your spelling. Just don't get the phone number wrong when you dial, OK?

(740) 881-JAG6

Cold call any time.

THANK YOU!

Andrew Bernstein
Old 10 Apr 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2437982)   #75
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
I'd guess the FGB box is the 1982 car. The photo I have only shows the corner of the suspension tie plate, but it's in the correct relative position. I just found a photo of a 1982 Theodore F5000 and it had an FGB, so it fits the period.
Don't read too much into that - the Theodore F5000 was a converted F1 car.