Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jan 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1207479)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
New Tyre Rule, who will benefit/lose?

Theoritically the tyre rule of 2005 will be favourable for the smooth driver. For fun, I'd like to speculate as to the 3 drivers it could benefit vs the 3 who have most to lose:

Benefit - Button, Ralf, Rubens

Lose - Alonso, Massa, JPM
Old 23 Jan 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1207492)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's impossible to tell.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1207518)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Michael win his second GP (Portugal 1993) by pulling some fancy no stop tyre saving strategy? I guess desperate measures were required to get Prost & that Williams.

Last edited by Hazard; 23 Jan 2005 at 00:44.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1207520)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
You also need to weigh that against which cars will benefit,and like K-B says,it's impossible to tell.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1207608)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote : "For fun, I'd like to speculate.."

Well Kirk..since it's only for fun, and i'm assuming similar car characteristics and other factors equal, i'd say that the new rules would favour the naturally smooth drivers, or drivers who have an ability to drive around tyre problems, create a good setup or conserve tyres.

The former category of smooth drivers would include the likes of Rubens, Button and maybe Fisi?
The latter category would include Michael (everything) and Ralf (good setup).

But all these would be insignificant if the teams come up with a car that kills the tyres on its own.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1207721)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but at the end of the day what the tyre companies come up with is even more crucial.

In terms of driving style, Button and Michael are the obvious winners here. Meanwhile, I worry about Alonso and Juan Pablo - will they have to adapt their bullish styles?

Ferrari, no doubt, will come up with a car that treats its tyres correctly but last year they had the problem of not being able to heat their tyres up quickly enough. So I'd say Ferrari drivers will be off the pace in the early stages of a grand prix but be really strong at the end. I can't see them changing how aggressively the car heats up the tyres that much to be honest.

If Red Bull still have a car that eats rear tyres then they are in trouble.

Blah, blah, blah......there are lots of interesting variables in this one. Can't wait to see how it pans out!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1207735)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
In terms of driving style, Button and Michael are the obvious winners here. Meanwhile, I worry about Alonso and Juan Pablo - will they have to adapt their bullish styles?
I generally agree here, although Michael is so much better at it than Button. Button is just smooth, so while this will preserve the tyres Michael can adapt his driving to suit other situations that are thrown up. He was a master of using his tyres to get through the graining phase, Button tended to stay in this phase longer (even concidering different manufacturers/circuits). In addition if you approach the end of the race you feel that your tyres will easily hold up until the flag Michael can step up to a more aggressive style (if it is required).

As always adaptability is still the key. Perhaps for those with only one style there has been a shift between those who use their tyres best (we are being a little unkind to everyone here - with 'one style'). However those who have adaptability have the real advantage, especially when the characteristics of the new tyres are largely unknown.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1207959)   #8
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know there could be a great advantage to be had here. I wonder if any of the teams have been looking how they can cut down tyre wear when they have been designing there new machines
Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1207975)   #9
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it won't be a huge talking point. We won't see much difference between drivers if at all.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1208010)   #10
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think any drivers particular driving style will work against him. But any driver who locks up a wheel could have his race ruined.

I think the most interesting aspect of the rule will be the first corner/first lap. While some drivers will take it conservatively, I'm sure there will be a few guys who try to divebomb the corner to take advantage.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1208013)   #11
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After testing the 2005 tyres for the first time this weekend, Fernando Alonso had an interesting quote:

Quote:
“With this year's tyres in the first ten laps there's a progressive degradation, nothing sudden, but then they remain with the same level of grip and don't deteriorate anymore. It's really incredible.”
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=41590&s=5
Old 23 Jan 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1208022)   #12
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
After testing the 2005 tyres for the first time this weekend, Fernando Alonso had an interesting quote:

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=41590&s=5
Hey and thats a michelin so thats looking good
Old 23 Jan 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1208032)   #13
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
As always adaptability is still the key. Perhaps for those with only one style there has been a shift between those who use their tyres best (we are being a little unkind to everyone here - with 'one style'). However those who have adaptability have the real advantage, especially when the characteristics of the new tyres are largely unknown.
Agreed, adapability is key. MS as usual will likely shine if Bridgestone provide a reasonably competitive tire; but I think some drivers will find it difficult as they have not really been forced to nurse tyres in the past. Young and aggressive drivers like Alonso, Massa and Sato top my list. Alonso particularly from what I can see always saws at the wheel and may struggle. JPM has more experience and will likely get it right in a short time, but at what price when it comes to his overall pace? It'll be interesting to see if these guys fade in the latter part of the races.

Last edited by Kirk; 23 Jan 2005 at 18:08.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1208069)   #14
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a general note, I would say that based upon history, Bridgestone teams will have a slight edge. I think that Rubens is likely be be the one at Ferrari, as Michael's style is "throwing" the car around.

I doubt that in the big scheme of things, it will help anyone much, nor hurt anyone much either. They will all come to grips (pardon the pun) with the new rule and learn tire management.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1208096)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of it depends on what the tyre manufacturers come up with.

In the past few years there have been some races where some teams on Michelins haven't changed tyres at each stop in any case.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1208097)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole
Hey and thats a michelin so thats looking good
OK,if there not 2 seconds off the pace to start with.