Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Dec 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3175293)   #1
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
CLbrakesUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Historic race meetings?

Hi Guys, i am new here, but it seems to me that here is the place to ask the question.
I am the importer of Carbone Lorraine brakes in the UK, i have had some really good feedback using my Endurance pads on E type (Dunlop Caliper) and big Healeys (Type 16) both in racing and testing.
Because the pads are very small for the power and weight of these cars, this E compound really works
I am looking to put these results in to practice and promote at the track.
Which series are the leading ones in the UK?
I would like to get a look at the Spa 6 hour also, but more of a jolly than anything!
I always get a rush on pads before this event so it seems popular.

Thanks in Advance
Old 5 Dec 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3175310)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Porsche 924 is one application where they seem well liked.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3175311)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few excellent meetings at Nurburgring as well,perhaps not quite as popular but better events.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3175312)   #4
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Porsche 924 is one application where they seem well liked.
Yes, i have supplied a few sets of those, Although since Gwyn at SMS passed away i dont think the drivers have known where to get them.

Last edited by CLbrakesUK; 5 Dec 2012 at 10:34.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3175324)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLbrakesUK View Post
Yes, i have supplied a few sets of those, Although since Gwyn at SMS passed away i dont think the drivers have known where to get them.
Well....MGDavid, Mike Bell and I on here are all 924 racers so this is a good start! PM sent.......
Old 5 Dec 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3175362)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well....MGDavid, Mike Bell and I on here are all 924 racers so this is a good start! PM sent.......
Other brake pads that will last 6hrs- easily- are available.......
Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3175383)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

We complain that FIA App K is being distorted by technology and here we have, possibly the lowest cost example of performance improvement. I am not personally complaining. However...................
Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3175386)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Hawk Black.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3175390)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I used CLs this time round and they just got better as the race went on
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3175444)   #10
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am willing to test pads to fit '65 Mustang if you can supply. Thats a standard Mustang caliper not one thats been modified to allow the use of modern Porsche GT3 pads as is the norm with AppK cars

CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3175456)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I used CLs this time round and they just got better as the race went on
That's your discount sorted, then!

Sorry Terence- Pagid blue......

But none of this answers the original question..... "Which series are the leading ones in the UK?"

Am assuming an element of endurance required? If so I'll start off with a few in no particular order-

Organiser Historic Motor Racing News-
Pre '63GT
U2TC

Organiser Automobiles Historiques-
GT&SCC

Organiser Motor Racing Legends-
Stirling Moss Trophy
Woodcote Trophy

Organiser HSCC-
Guards Trophy
E Type Trophy

Organiser Masters Historic Racing
Gentleman Drivers
World Sportscar Masters
Sports Racing Masters

Most of those are pan-European rather than UK only, and do not constitute a definitive list! Just off the top of my head.......
Old 5 Dec 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3175469)   #12
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
That's your discount sorted, then!

Sorry Terence- Pagid blue......

But none of this answers the original question..... "Which series are the leading ones in the UK?"

Am assuming an element of endurance required? If so I'll start off with a few in no particular order-

Organiser Historic Motor Racing News-
Pre '63GT
U2TC

Organiser Automobiles Historiques-
GT&SCC

Organiser Motor Racing Legends-
Stirling Moss Trophy
Woodcote Trophy

Organiser HSCC-
Guards Trophy
E Type Trophy

Organiser Masters Historic Racing
Gentleman Drivers
World Sportscar Masters
Sports Racing Masters

Most of those are pan-European rather than UK only, and do not constitute a definitive list! Just off the top of my head.......
Thankyou Gives me some pointers.

The Endurance(RC6E) pads are particularly good in the heavy powerful cars.
Such as E Type, big Healeys, Ford Falcon etc, as the brake pad area is very small so the compound is doing lots of work.
However the lighter cars work very well on the non Endurance compound, (RC6) eg various Lotus, single seater etc.
Great cold bite so, good hillclimb kit.

I went to Donington last Thursday for a test day and found one of the top guys testing an E type.
I put my money where my mouth was, "if you dont like them, you dont pay and give them back" they stayed in.
0.8 secs a lap faster anyone!?

I dont do early Mustang unfortunately, Classic World Racing put some in theirs, but they had to mod them quite a bit to fit.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3175488)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Better add HRDC Touring Greats and 'Allstars' to the list, and Masters Pre-66 Touring cars where you will get Galaxies, Mustangs and Falcons as well as smaller stuff. Think you need to sort pads to fit American Iron as they are very popular, heavy, and if in FIA trim running drums on the back! BTW thought early Mustang was same as Falcon?

If you are looking at Historic Meetings in UK, after the obvious Goodwood Revival come Silverstone Classic, Donington Historic Festival, Oulton Park Gold Cup, Brands Hatch Superprix and BH Masters Festival, Snetterton Autosport 3hrs.......

Old 5 Dec 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3175501)   #14
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmmmm, is it OK if i advertise MY business on this forum?????
Old 5 Dec 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3175503)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Is this the chap I spoke with at Combe during the Bernies HRV8 race? I thought the pads were a bit expensive to be honest.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3175506)   #16
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Is this the chap I spoke with at Combe during the Bernies HRV8 race? I thought the pads were a bit expensive to be honest.
Yes, that was me.
For comparable brands we are good value.

It depends what you are used to..
Old 5 Dec 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3175536)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I guess if you are doing a 6 hour race they have a place but for sprint races or even 40 minute races I couldnt justify the expence. The orange EBC's I was using in the Wilewood calipers that day were not at all good until I bed them in then they just got better and better I was quite impressed at the end of the day.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3175563)   #18
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Think you need to sort pads to fit American Iron as they are very popular, heavy, and if in FIA trim running drums on the back! BTW thought early Mustang was same as Falcon?
Correct!
Old 6 Dec 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3175638)   #19
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Correct!
Mustang is this then?
Attached Thumbnails
4001.jpg  
Old 6 Dec 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3175666)   #20
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Mustang/Falcon is nothing like that.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3175685)   #21
CLbrakesUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
No, Mustang/Falcon is nothing like that.
These what i supply for a customer who has a Falcon, it is a Porsche pad.
So hence why i thought they were different.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3175855)   #22
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLbrakesUK View Post
These what i supply for a customer who has a Falcon, it is a Porsche pad.
So hence why i thought they were different.
Thats what I said in post 10
Modern Porsche brakes on a '60's Yank - so very period, I love AppK
Old 7 Dec 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3176143)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Mmmmmm, is it OK if i advertise MY business on this forum?????
No, and good point! I'll close it rather than delete it, though, in the light of some of the discussion.
Closed Thread