Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3885069)   #3926
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Liveries!
And merch.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3885070)   #3927
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I've heard that misconception trotted out before as a reason for the 9th generation Civic not being sold in Japan.
The truth is that it was prohibited from import into Japan, but because of it's breach of dimension regulations. The 10th generation is readily available in Japan.
I believe British made Toyota Avensi were exported to Japan.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3885071)   #3928
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
you all know that Japan has a law which prohibits japanese manufacturers to build cars outside japan and import them in their own country ??

I certainly don't know that it is illegal for Honda UK to export their cars to Japan, and possibly Honda Japan may not be aware of it either.

A link to this law would be appreciated.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3885073)   #3929
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
4-door is the saloon, not the hatch made at Swindon. Something in the press just appeared stating the Turkey plant is also due to close and they're consolidating european market production in Japan.
Absolutely. Swindon makes the 5 door (only plant in the world that does) with the 4 door European supply from Turkey. The Turkish plant going had gone under my radar; Honda must be in a much bigger mess than I understood as that plant was modern and cost effective.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3885074)   #3930
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This is where I point out the previous generation R Type was built exclusively at Swindon and many made the journey to the land of the Rising Sun: officially by Honda, not third party private imports.

It's not Brexit, although obviously that is going to be reported by many sources as THE reason. It's the cost of UK workers; the 4 door Civic is made in Turkey (and imported into the EU) - your Turkish factory worker is every bit as good as your British factory worker and costs less. Then throw in a giant bucket of the Civic isn't a good seller: not the workers fault, but rather Hondas inability to stop designing unattractive vehicles with rock hard suspension - Focus/Astra/Golf/Corolla all drive nicer and - to my eye - are visually more appealing.

Back to BTCC, the JP announcement on Wedsnesday is going to leave us with an almost fully announced grid. Will anything be left for media day?
Also Swindon is the primary "diesel" factory for Honda and demand has dropped - another politicos "cock up" and Japan has signed a free trade deal with EU so Brussels has shafted UK again!!
Old 18 Feb 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3885076)   #3931
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Why "our" negotiators haven't agreed trade deals with all the foreign (non EU) countries boggles my brain; they've had two years to have what should have been pretty short simple discussions.

Still, no matter how messy BMR got it was less messy than Brexit.

Sorry for being off topic. Will stop now. Promise.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3885082)   #3932
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why "our" negotiators haven't agreed trade deals with all the foreign (non EU) countries boggles my brain; they've had two years to have what should have been pretty short simple discussions.
The UK isn't allowed to negotiate trade deals with other countries while it is part of the EU, regardless of whether it intends to leave.

That's why No Deal will be such a killer.

With any deal, the UK can trade on existing terms during the transition period (or until it reaches its own trade agreements if sooner).
Old 18 Feb 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3885084)   #3933
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
I heard early on that he was the one most likely to miss out on a seat, but never say never. Jackson would be more likely than Goff though.
Jackson will not be back in btcc, damaged goods. Listened to a interview with him and he didn't really seem interested
Old 18 Feb 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3885085)   #3934
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
5 seats left to be confirmed

[COLOR="red"] Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Senna Proctor ?????
Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Jason Plato ?????
What draws you to Proctor not the recently touted Collard? Have I missed something?
Old 18 Feb 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3885086)   #3935
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
The pieces of the jigsaw are falling in to place.

If we assume PMR is going to be Plato/Proctor. Who will end up at BMR?

Got to be Collard & Plato at PMR
Ash Sutton & Senna Proctor in Warren Scots Scoobies

These must be the missing links. ?
Old 18 Feb 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3885092)   #3936
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
James Cole back in a Subaru maybe? He liked the car after all and drove very well at Knockhill...
Old 18 Feb 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3885093)   #3937
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm forgetting that Senna was on Warren Scott's roster of talent at one point wasn't he?
Old 19 Feb 2019, 00:19 (Ref:3885121)   #3938
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
James Cole back in a Subaru maybe? He liked the car after all and drove very well at Knockhill...

And then won in Rockingham
Old 19 Feb 2019, 01:30 (Ref:3885125)   #3939
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on the news from Honda tonight about the Swindon plant, I'm thinking this will be the last year there will be factory backing for Dynamics! Just as well they got Halfords back on board.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3885136)   #3940
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Based on the news from Honda tonight about the Swindon plant, I'm thinking this will be the last year there will be factory backing for Dynamics! Just as well they got Halfords back on board.
I think the DC5 is a good case study into why Team Dynamics will be perfectly fine if they end up in a situation without manufacturer support or a UK-built car.

It might even improve their results. They would be free to select the platform that gives them the best chance of success, and not be tied to a manufacturer's requirements (Civic tourer anyone?).
Old 19 Feb 2019, 07:08 (Ref:3885140)   #3941
Speedysnapper
Rookie

Speedysnapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the eve of JP big announcement, thought I would throw this into the mix! Has anyone considered the following possibility, it has Been mentioned before, but recent events make me wonder if it could resurface...... a second speedworks Corolla for Mr Plato..,,, there is method to my madness as follows: the recently added Squiggle to JP twitter account is very similar to Toyotas corporate colours, along with the red stripes on the images of the car seen so far..... secondly, two heads aid development of a new car much more quickly, especially one as experienced as Jason... Thirdly, Matt Salisbury has been tweeting that there is a bigger shock to come than the Blundell to TPC Audi to come..... I for one, think this may be it....although Mr Gow wants to reduce grid sizes, surely keeping a big name like JP in a car would be well worthy of a loan TBL.....
Old 19 Feb 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3885142)   #3942
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn’t rule him out of being part of the ‘experienced’ line up at PMR. Steady solid points scorer who’s won a race, be a good back up driver to their lead driver especially if it’s who is rumoured. Just a thought.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3885153)   #3943
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysnapper View Post
On the eve of JP big announcement, thought I would throw this into the mix! Has anyone considered the following possibility, it has Been mentioned before, but recent events make me wonder if it could resurface...... a second speedworks Corolla for Mr Plato..,,, there is method to my madness as follows: the recently added Squiggle to JP twitter account is very similar to Toyotas corporate colours, along with the red stripes on the images of the car seen so far..... secondly, two heads aid development of a new car much more quickly, especially one as experienced as Jason... Thirdly, Matt Salisbury has been tweeting that there is a bigger shock to come than the Blundell to TPC Audi to come..... I for one, think this may be it....although Mr Gow wants to reduce grid sizes, surely keeping a big name like JP in a car would be well worthy of a loan TBL.....
Good logic, I dont know if it will be speedworks, but I havent for a moment ruled out these "loan"/"spare" TBL being used this year, despite what Mr Gow may have said at some stage in the past
Old 19 Feb 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3885155)   #3944
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Good logic, I dont know if it will be speedworks, but I havent for a moment ruled out these "loan"/"spare" TBL being used this year, despite what Mr Gow may have said at some stage in the past
But wasn't a team turned down with regards to TBL's in an effort to start reducing the size of the grid.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3885156)   #3945
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
No, I wouldn't rule out an extra car or two at this stage: a surprise "new" team with JP driving has been in my thoughts since late last summer.

The extra Speedworks Toyota theory has very good reasoned logic. Add to it Tingram was assisted in his early days by JP...
Old 19 Feb 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3885157)   #3946
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
But wasn't a team turned down with regards to TBL's in an effort to start reducing the size of the grid.
What was that team trying to run though? If they were looking at running an old model (Civic, etc) then Gow would probably turn it down, however the prospect of having another manufacturer back entry is much better for Lord Gow
Old 19 Feb 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3885165)   #3947
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they have already contractually committed in writing to the teams and told the media that there will be no other licences brought into play this year. so you can completely forget the fantasy of some magic extra cars
Old 19 Feb 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3885166)   #3948
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
When Exceler8 joined Gow stated other entries had been turned down, but I am thinking if someone (lets say Plato for now) managed to get a major manufacturer and major household name sponsor involved that would perk Alan Gows interest a lot more than someone wanting to run lets say an old Avensis on a shoe string

Or had other entries been turned down BECAUSE these 2 had already been promised to JP if he could get whatever his plan was together? (and it would have been foolish to announce he had been loaned them only to find he then couldnt pull the deals he wanted off)

What did Exceler8 offer that those who were apparently turned down couldnt do?

Remember Matt Salisbury claimed there is a big surprise to come so dont count it out just yet
Old 19 Feb 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3885168)   #3949
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, I wouldn't rule out an extra car or two at this stage: a surprise "new" team with JP driving has been in my thoughts since late last summer.

The extra Speedworks Toyota theory has very good reasoned logic. Add to it Tingram was assisted in his early days by JP...
Let's end this here. Speedworks has one TBL and has built one car.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3885169)   #3950
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
What did Exceler8 offer that those who were apparently turned down couldnt do?
they bought their cars and licences from a current team. thats totally different from a team wanting to enter and requesting for new extra licences be given to them

there are no more than 30 cars this year. thats it. thats the commitment toca made to all the teams. even some of the current teams who wanted to run more cars and were turned down.

enough of the conspiracy theories about extra licences. its bunkum.