Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2001, 00:30 (Ref:118594)   #1
ImAudiHere
Rookie

ImAudiHere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing, rear brakes - new user on board!

Hello everyone! A new user in the house. Have been lurking for about two weeks. It's great to see so many informed and interested people that, for the most part, can talk racing, racing, and more racing.

I have two comments to post today:
1. Both TGF and Raikkonen went off big time yesterday under braking from locked rear brakes. This seems very unusual as I have not seen this type of accident occur in recent racing memory, at least from high speeds. Could there be some development process at work here that has caught them both? Perhaps some kind of traction control issue?
2. Don't want to start out negative but James Courtney was testing for Jaguar and described his car as "amazing". The only thing I see amazing about Jaguar is how badly they have been doing (and handling). In F1, if you say your car's "amazing" you better be standing on top of the podium when you say it!
Old 18 Jul 2001, 00:57 (Ref:118599)   #2
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome ImAudiHere!
Isn't that a contradiction?

You'll soon find out we are a bunch of friendly people who are always pleased to find someone new in their midst.
Whatever kind of motorsport you like to talk about, there's a forum waiting for you.
Have fun!
Old 18 Jul 2001, 01:40 (Ref:118608)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hi

A big welcome Imaudihere to our friendly forum. Hope to see lots more posts from you. When you reach 1000 posts, you qualify for the lucky draw for the Ferrari - whick will be drawn when everybody gets to 1000 posts.
I am a bit confused about the brakes in F1 cars. ABS is supposedly banned, but I read somewhere that one of the teams was testing their software in relation to their brakes.
This goes back to my question: what is to prevent an on board computer system where the car uses a very accurate GPS to identify braking points around any circuit, and then apply the brakes automatically when the car reaches that braking point?
And can the use of ABS be ruled out, the same as Traction control was supposed to have been before Spain? Several teams got around the traction control ban very easily.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 18 Jul 2001 at 01:44.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 02:23 (Ref:118617)   #4
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari have said that Schumey's off was caused by a sudden loss of downforce at the rear of the car: "Initial inspection of the car and analysis of the telemetric data, shows that the loss of downforce could have been caused by damage to the car's under-floor, as a result of running over the kerbs at the chicane just before Roggia"

Kimi's statement: "Unfortunately I went off the track at the seventh corner with only 15 minutes left, when the rear wheels locked up under braking, but we didnĀ“t do much damage."

Doesn't sound related to me. It's a bit odd that the rears locked up on Kimi, but it could be just a matter of the brake balance not being optimum for that corner. Remember that as the car slows down, the downforce is being constantly reduced, thereby making braking more difficult. If there's high downforce at the back -- and I'm just speculating here -- then the rear brakes will be more prone to lockup as the car's speed comes down.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 11:25 (Ref:118752)   #5
ImAudiHere
Rookie

ImAudiHere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadn't heard that comment from Ferrari, perhaps you are right and they are not connected incidents.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 11:35 (Ref:118760)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome!

a) Fernando is god.
b) Kimi is his acolyte.
c) Enrique is too.
d) Their temple is Minardi.

Am I weird? Yes.

Which is why I fit in just fiiiine...

Old 18 Jul 2001, 15:43 (Ref:118850)   #7
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BIG warm welcome to you ImAudiHere. Glad to see another racing buff amongst our midst. Looking forward to your many great posts, which i'm sure will come. IF you fail to amuse me, then off with your head! If you make me laugh and keep me interested, more power to you, brotha! WHat am i saying? I don't know. I"m falling asleep at work and posting on this forum is the only thing keeping me awake....

As for the whole clandestine brake development rumor.... when was the last time you saw a red car lock up it's wheels????????
Old 18 Jul 2001, 16:20 (Ref:118870)   #8
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
a) Fernando is god.
Wrong again. Luca is God
Old 18 Jul 2001, 17:51 (Ref:118905)   #9
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right there Badoer fan - Luca is God
Old 18 Jul 2001, 18:04 (Ref:118915)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome ImAudiHere !!!

Get ready for some fun !!!
Old 18 Jul 2001, 21:15 (Ref:118961)   #11
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Amazing, rear brakes - new user on board!

Quote:
Originally posted by ImAudiHere
2. Don't want to start out negative but James Courtney was testing for Jaguar and described his car as "amazing". The only thing I see amazing about Jaguar is how badly they have been doing (and handling). In F1, if you say your car's "amazing" you better be standing on top of the podium when you say it!
Welcome ImAudiHere and hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. Don't take it too seriously and you'll have a great time

As for the above, young James is a smart and talented young man who has just had his first drive of a F1 car and has said nothing out of the ordinary,especially when you consider he is trying to get a regular seat in F1 and is signed to the Jaguar team.

Go JIMMY, GO!!!!!!!