Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Apr 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3896071)   #2976
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just thought I would bring this post to the attention of those in the Tea break.

Some interesting old shots that a gentleman would like to have identified.

Fabulous quality black and white shots that look like they were taken late 60s probably at Brands Hatch.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...58#post3896058

I'm sure the vastly knowledgeable residents will know, or know someone who knows, the answers to who, what and, possibly, when.

Last edited by grantp; 7 Apr 2019 at 21:47.
Old 7 Apr 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3896074)   #2977
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Another point to add was the fact you could see the cars dancing g and the drivers working the wheel. Didn't matter if they were way ahead or not. I still say the years of less reliability and more driver input were better than now.
Indeed.

Back in the days when suspension still had a purpose on most circuits (it doesn't look very smooth does it!) and rides were relatively soft.

Corners were for drifting - right up to the ragged edge of the tarmac. Even with the relatively huge F1 slicks.

All in all it's was probably all slightly less professional than a Master's paddock appears to be today!
Old 7 Apr 2019, 22:52 (Ref:3896088)   #2978
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Just thought I would bring this post to the attention of those in the Tea break.

Some interesting old shots that a gentleman would like to have identified.

Fabulous quality black and white shots that look like they were taken late 60s probably at Brands Hatch.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...58#post3896058

I'm sure the vastly knowledgeable residents will know, or know someone who knows, the answers to who, what and, possibly, when.
As was mentioned in the thread, Graham Hill in the #4 Lotus 49 suggests Race of Champions 1968. He DNFd the race with steering problems.

This clip from a MutterSport report of the race sheds a bit of light, placing that Amon Hulme and Ickx would be racing close to Hill.
Quote:
....the Lotus 49 of Graham Hill was not looking very stable and he had Amon (Ferrari), Hulme (McLaren) and Ickx (Ferrari) right behind him wondering which way the Lotus was going to twitch next.....
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...race-champions

https://www.statsf1.com/en/1968-hc/grand-prix-258.aspx
Old 8 Apr 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3896114)   #2979
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Was it a genuine HANS
It works with Helmut if you're talking about German riders…
Old 8 Apr 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3896115)   #2980
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
All in all it's was probably all slightly less professional than a Master's paddock appears to be today!
Grant? PM please, right away!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3896138)   #2981
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
It works with Helmut if you're talking about German riders…
Gerard jokes as bad as that are likely to get you a forum ban! ,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:35 (Ref:3896139)   #2982
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I'm surprised someone read this after B……… ! You can't imagine how much you smiles are appreciated in this sad Monday morning! Thanks.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3896142)   #2983
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Gerard jokes as bad as that are likely to get you a forum ban! ,

Did Hans Knees Und Boompserdietz also use one?
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3896144)   #2984
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tu quoque fili mi! I always love to watch a English vidéo about anything coming from France. Its so obvious that we all are called Gégène, have a stupid moustache, wear a Béret basque holding une baguette de pain sous le bras! And the music plays accordion! Maestro, bad music please!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 06:54 (Ref:3896145)   #2985
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tu quoque fili mi! I always love to watch a English vidéo about anything coming from France. Its so obvious that we all are called Gégène, have a stupid moustache, wear a Béret basque holding une baguette de pain sous le bras! And the music plays accordion! Maestro, bad music please!

Gerard, have you ever seen the British TV series 'Allo, 'Allo! ?

I'm told much of it was filmed in a village near Abbeville, not so far from me.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3896152)   #2986
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to admit John that the low budget sets made me think it was filmed in that French village called Elstree.

It's being re-run on a Freeview channel. Some parts still have me crying with laughter. Just beautifully done.

Old 8 Apr 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3896154)   #2987
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you have "Papa Schultz" american series in UK? I think it would be banned now.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3896158)   #2988
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have to admit John that the low budget sets made me think it was filmed in that French village called Elstree.

It's being re-run on a Freeview channel. Some parts still have me crying with laughter. Just beautifully done.

I was surprised when someone told me it was filmed on location here. Maybe that was just for the outside stuff, I don't know. One day I will investigate.

I have got a box set that I haven't actually watched yet. It's remarkably close to home, with some people I know here. The husband of the former owner of the village hostelry is called Rene, & his mother-in-law did end her days bed-ridden upstairs. So far as I know, there were no airmen hiding in the attic though.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3896159)   #2989
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Did you have "Papa Schultz" american series in UK? I think it would be banned now.
No, don't know that one, Gerard.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3896160)   #2990
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hogan's Heroes in the UK.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3896163)   #2991
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that is what we refer to as Hogans Heroes, aka Stalag 13. We still get it shown regularly in Aus on our Classics channel.

Edit: Found a link that confirms my comment. In French for you Gérard. http://www.allocine.fr/series/fiches...erie=3024.html

Also https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Schultz

I see Peter beat me to it by a couple of mins.

Last edited by E.B; 8 Apr 2019 at 08:16.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3896165)   #2992
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You're right, Stalag 13. I seem to recall its was in French here, no subtitles, with tough accents adding ce que je ne sais quoi to this fantasy. The so called german accent in French was real fun.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3896169)   #2993
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, you mean René I guess… Or is it Gégène or Chéchène with another accent?

Thanks E.B!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3896239)   #2994
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling our Ford experts; has anyone come across 106E? seems to be the export version of the 105E. Have a friend in Japan who has holed his 106E block, replacing with a 105E block is no problem, except that his papers (1000cc F3) specify 106E. Any comments or advice welcomed.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3896243)   #2995
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike faloon View Post
Calling our Ford experts; has anyone come across 106E? seems to be the export version of the 105E. Have a friend in Japan who has holed his 106E block, replacing with a 105E block is no problem, except that his papers (1000cc F3) specify 106E. Any comments or advice welcomed.

106E was the left hand drive export version of the Anglia.

What is odd, to me anyway, is that they drive on the left in Japan so that would require right hand 105Es!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3896257)   #2996
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Back in my Anglia owning days I could recite a lot of the Ford xxxE codes and know what they were, but there has been too much additional rubbish put into my head since then to force that information out.
However, I'm presuming that this enquiry is for a cylinder block, so they are looking for one with 106E cast into it? My Anglebox was a 1200 and I think that was a 112E block (was 120E the 1500 non c/f?), but I don't know what number the 997cc engine had. (This was useful information when hunting for spares in a scrap yard!)
Old 8 Apr 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3896262)   #2997
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I'll plus Mike Hart, mike faloon. I placed a question on my club's website, we have some Anglia fans and a charming and helpful ex-RAF pilot, Ron from Blackpool. I guess all "French" Anglias are 106 E or at least should be… Anyway you'll find more help from here than anywhere else.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3896268)   #2998
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If one thinks about it logically, the left hand drive Anglias would have required at least a different cylinder head as the exhaust mainfold, etc. would have impeded the steering linkage. So one must assume that the blocks must have been different as well to match the heads.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:06 (Ref:3896270)   #2999
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I didn't think about all this but sounds like you're very right!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3896273)   #3000
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Well, at least one small part of what passes as my brain still works!

Having to remove and re-attach the manifolds and the twin DCOE45s every weekend when racing leaves a vivid memory of how little room there was on that side with the pre-crossflow Kents.
Closed Thread