Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 21 Feb 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1847380)   #1
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

enduro1sttimer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Choosing Brake Pads according to MU

Hi Guys.. just wanting to get some opinions on both open wheelers and tin tops.. would you choose a pad that has a constant MU, or a slightly smaller initial MU that increases (for example, 0.1 to 0.2 greater than the constant MU rated pad) after time.

Also, would one type of pad be more prone to more flat spotting than the other?

Thanks
Old 21 Feb 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1847475)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Have you thought of speaking to the guys at EBC brakes to ask their expert opinion? As a competition licence holder you also get a 50% discount on their products. Could be worth your while?
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1847559)   #3
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Constant MU is easier to control, especially in an Aero car.

A lot of times it comes down to the drivers feel and preference.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 01:50 (Ref:1847676)   #4
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

i guess you're right chucky. i just thought maybe there are reasons for a particular application where you would want to use a pad with a rising MU compared to a pad with a constant MU.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1848086)   #5
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro1sttimer
i guess you're right chucky. i just thought maybe there are reasons for a particular application where you would want to use a pad with a rising MU compared to a pad with a constant MU.
My opinion only!

If a pad has MU increasing with temperature, then if you are at a short circuit with lots of braking and the average brake temperature is up in the higher-MU region, then I guess there would be an advantage. Conversely, if you are at a circuit with long straights and you want the brakes to operate effectively after cooling down considerably, then a more constant MU pad would seem to be more driver friendly and possibly give shorter braking distances and therefore improved lap times.

Comparative testing will reveal all!

Last edited by phoenix; 22 Feb 2007 at 14:15.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1849663)   #6
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

that makes sense too phoenix. I've only ever used the one type of pad for any type of track (short windy or long flowing). I've never really felt the need to change pads because of type of track.

but the thought has been on my mind lately about doing so.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1849739)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I tend to use the same type of carbon met pads for all circuits. I only brake at the last second anyway as its a light (ish) car. I haven't the time (or money) to do back to back testing ,but as they are top loaders I will swap the pads upside down and side to side to even out the taper ,making the pads last a lot longer. Cheapskate yes but I'm not the only one !
Old 23 Feb 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1849781)   #8
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I've never really felt the need to change pads because of type of track.
Me neither, really, but we once put new pads in for Snetterton (we needed new ones anyway) and they were of the 'rising MU' kind. The end of both straights was pretty scary compared with our usual compound until we got used to them. A few weeks later at Lydden they were fantastic all round as the brakes never really cooled.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1849911)   #9
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

sorry phoenix, but what types of tracks are snetterton and lydden. i'm in oz
Old 23 Feb 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1849918)   #10
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
sorry phoenix, but what types of tracks are snetterton and lydden. i'm in oz
Sorry! Snetterton used to be an airfield, so it has two main straights - the pit straight (called Senna) and the back straight (called Revett) in a circuit of 1.952 miles total. Revett, the longer of the two straights, ends in a tight left/right sequence called The Esses. Senna straight ends in a long, double apex 90 degree right. Both need a lot of brakes.

Lydden is only 1 mile long and feel like it is full of corners. On the second half of the lap there are three corners within half a mile or so that require a lot of braking, including a more than 90 degree left, a hairpin, and a 90 degree right at the bottom of the hill. On the first half of the lap there are one or two corners (depending on how quick your car is) that require brakes. Overall, the brakes get, and stay, pretty warm!

Last edited by phoenix; 23 Feb 2007 at 14:26.
Old 24 Feb 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1850415)   #11
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

so do you mean when you say you had to get used to them at snetterton because - apart from being the first time you used the rising mu pads - the tyres were locking up? and just to clarify, do you have abs removed.