Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2018, 04:27 (Ref:3818787)   #101
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
One objective measure of the interest in a race meeting is the number of views on the Natsoft race results service.

It is interesting that the recent first meeting at The Bend had 37,735 views.

This is more than the recent Supercars meeting at Philip Island , which had 36,123 views.

Perhaps a lot of people wanted to see what the Bend lap times were, and whether it favoured big or small cars.

But it is very interesting that a Shannon's National meeting would outscore a much more hyped Supercars meeting.
I think most would follow theSupercars meeting blow by blow live updates pages open on the major V8 websites (V8supercars and Speedcafe). Or live TV where available.
I myself find I only use Natsoft for more obscure races. For the GT race I followed on the live stream.
Only my opinion.

Last edited by E.B; 2 May 2018 at 04:34.
Old 2 May 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3818789)   #102
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think most would follow theSupercars meeting blow by blow live updates pages open on the major V8 websites (V8supercars and Speedcafe). Or live TV where available.
I myself find I only use Natsoft for more obscure races. For the GT race I followed on the live stream.
Only my opinion.
Same here.

Hardly ever look at Natsoft for Supercars. But do look for other events.
Old 2 May 2018, 04:39 (Ref:3818790)   #103
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I followed the live timing both days for the GTs and a couple of the supports.

I wasn't able to view the stream as I wasn't at home.
Old 2 May 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3818791)   #104
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Only my opinion.
I share your opinion. No need to look at Natsoft for Supercars due to live coverage from both Supercars and Speedcafe.

I'm surprised that as many people as listed by Terry S actually check out Natsoft for Supercar results - maybe in fact that is not the case, they may well be checking out the supports, in which case a broadly similar number to the Bend would make sense.
Old 2 May 2018, 06:23 (Ref:3818803)   #105
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Natsoft more reliable for live timing and quicker when it comes to finding results from individual sessions. I also prefer it when I'm at the track as the simple site is easier on mobile devices (and data) than the other options.
Old 20 May 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3823502)   #106
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Ah OK, Thanks Guys. Well it's something they will need to sort because it's pretty much always windy out at Tailem.
A racer friend was telling me how the sand was so bad on some parts of the circuit you could barely see the circuit or a line...evidently, they moved large car transporters into position to try and cut down the wind...a more permanent solution looks needed
Old 20 May 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3823507)   #107
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can always do what they do at Bahrain and glue the sand down.
Old 20 May 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3823659)   #108
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Can always do what they do at Bahrain and glue the sand down.
Hah! and re-name the circuit "Sandown Tailem Bend"
Old 8 Aug 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3842220)   #109
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was catching up on some Midweek Motorsport (episode 28) and came across Richard Craill's preview of the SMP V8SC round.

In his preview, Richard described SMP as "hard to get too", to far from Sydneys CBD and a challenge as there was no "direct public transport" to the circuit.

I found this particularly interesting - especially when you overlay the above with the below comments and defence of Tailem Bend.

I understand Richard proud South Australian heritage - however the contrast between the two examples does pose questions about his professional integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
With all due respect, GTR, it's a genuine non-issue.

The Bend is an hour from the middle of Adelaide's CBD, with 90% of that on a 110kph Freeway, on which the circuit is located. It could not be easier to get to from the city, let alone any of the suburbs in the East or foothills. Once you get on Glen Osmond road out of the city you.. drive straight for an hour and reach your destination, on the left.

If an hour from the middle of a city of 1.2 million is 'the middle of a long way from anywhere' then I'd hate to see what Phillip Island or Winton are classified as, because they're two hours out at best (without taking into account any dramas on the Monash or the Hume).

Sydney Motorsport Park is 50 minutes from Sydney airport when traffic is good (so: never) and that's still in the suburbs!

It's 40 minutes from the Adelaide Hills and 20 minutes from a lot of the lower Murraylands, Lake Alexandrina and surrounding tourism regions... it's even 65 minutes to the Barossa Valley if you are so inclined.

Murray Bridge, as others have noted, is 15 minutes away and I bet within two years has a thriving Air BnB market for major events at the Bend, much in the same way much of Bathurst departs each February and October to make some cash out of renting their houses out.

I would argue that 'in the middle of a long way from anywhere' is actually 'located where no one will ever complain about noise, ever' and ideally placed to draw easily from not only the city and the 'burbs but the South East and even Victoria.

At a guess, I would argue that there is a similar amount of accommodation within 30-40 minutes drive of The Bend as there is within the same radius of the Phillip Island GP track.

I just don't get the 'but it's so hard to get to / there's no where to stay' argument that keeps popping up about this place because it's absolutely a non issue.

As for spectating, having seen the place I think it may surprise. There will be some good viewing areas. It'll be Phillip Island like in sight-lines, though you'll be able to see more across the circuit as there's no pit building in the middle.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3842221)   #110
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a journalist and floats with the wind - none of them have one bone of integrity in the bodies - it is about 'sales'
Old 8 Aug 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3842233)   #111
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the incestuous world of Australian motor sport journalism in the last 20 years journalists have become de facto PR hacks.The risk of offending someone/anyone means that everything is whitewashed,hyped and beyond criticism.Compare with any professional football code(or F1 for that matter) and you can see how pathetic it all is.No wonder people stopped reading what are warmed over press releases.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3842399)   #112
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Generally they don't even bother to write their own stuff these days, they just edit the press release sent to them by someone else
Old 24 Aug 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3845877)   #113
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I was catching up on some Midweek Motorsport (episode 28) and came across Richard Craill's preview of the SMP V8SC round.

In his preview, Richard described SMP as "hard to get too", to far from Sydneys CBD and a challenge as there was no "direct public transport" to the circuit.

I found this particularly interesting - especially when you overlay the above with the below comments and defence of Tailem Bend.

I understand Richard proud South Australian heritage - however the contrast between the two examples does pose questions about his professional integrity.
Well, for the record, I was delighted in the success of SMSP this year - it's been one of the best events of the season. I also maintain that The Bend is easier to get to, but perhaps that's just like my parochialism coming out.

Opinions are like backsides. Everyone has one. Most of them stink.

Having said that, i'm perfectly content with my professional integrity, thanks
Old 24 Aug 2018, 22:38 (Ref:3845881)   #114
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
In the incestuous world of Australian motor sport journalism in the last 20 years journalists have become de facto PR hacks.The risk of offending someone/anyone means that everything is whitewashed,hyped and beyond criticism.Compare with any professional football code(or F1 for that matter) and you can see how pathetic it all is.No wonder people stopped reading what are warmed over press releases.
This, 100%

The fact that Supercars produce all their own content further emphasises how seriously you can take what is said on their programs.

Too many journos/commentators seem to wish to kiss the backsides of categories and organisers and cannot bring themselves to offer any criticism of anything, seemingly so they can keep their jobs in the series or be kept in mind for future opportunities

Compare that with the content offered by AFL and NRL commentators and journos on a week to week basis on both FTA and Fox Sports, and in the papers, none of them are scared to say something controversial against the sport or the controlling body if they feel the need to be said.

however in supercars its always "everything is Awesome"

Quote:
I also maintain that The Bend is easier to get to, but perhaps that's just like my parochialism coming out.
With respect, I think it might be.

It comes across, in my opinion, as you were perhaps using SMP as an easy kick to try and defend/talk up The Bend's access. It doesn't need it, the Bend is a great facility and will survive fine and attract people to events, kicking SMP (especially on an overseas radio show) serves no purpose

Last edited by one five five; 24 Aug 2018 at 22:58.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3845899)   #115
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW what a facility. Alot of investment to recoup !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Aug 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3846434)   #116
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Look at who the developers/owners are and there may be a tip in there
Old 27 Aug 2018, 02:24 (Ref:3846443)   #117
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
https://www.peregrine.com.au/about-us/
Fathi (Fred) Shahin a Palestinian moved to Lebanon during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War with his family when he was ten years old. After working for the United Nations for 27 years, he and his family migrated to Australia. When he couldn't find a job, he bought the service station. The company now owns a chain of 24-hour convenience stores operating under the On The Run brand. Many of the stores operate as fuel outlets, alongside other brands such as Subway, Brumby's Bakeries, Oporto, and Wendy's. As of 2014, the business is run by Fred Shahin's sons Khalil (Charlie), Yasser and Samer (Sam)

Last edited by Trevor; 27 Aug 2018 at 02:33.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3846998)   #118
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Richard Craill;3845877]Well, for the record, I was delighted in the success of SMSP this year - it's been one of the best events of the season. I also maintain that The Bend is easier to get to, but perhaps that's just like my parochialism coming out.

By your own words - the Bend is an hour from Adelaide CBD via a motorway and SMP is 50mins from Sydney CBD via a motorway.

Yet you determine The Bend is easier to get to and the travel is a non issue? I am confused?

Quote:
Having said that, i'm perfectly content with my professional integrity, thanks
Applying personal bias & opinion over facts and evidence when acting in a professional capacity suggests otherwise.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 04:53 (Ref:3847006)   #119
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the geographic population centre of Sydney is around Parramatta which is 15 minutes from Eastern Creek it is actually fairly centrally located in a demographic sense.
Actually away from this pedantry The Bend is a great track.About a million times better than QR which was the last national level circuit built in Australia.Can't see how the owners will ever generate a business return on that investment but if they have done it with a philanthropic attitude it is a gift most gratefully received.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3847008)   #120
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
By your own words - the Bend is an hour from Adelaide CBD via a motorway and SMP is 50mins from Sydney CBD via a motorway.

Yet you determine The Bend is easier to get to and the travel is a non issue? I am confused?
I guess the time to SMP can vary significantly depending on the day / time of day as Sydney can have much higher traffic densities than Adelaide.

I live in Sydney and to me SMP is pretty straightforward to access but I know plenty of people from interstate who feel that getting around Sydney is really hard, regardless of the destination.

Certainly when I lived interstate and travelled to SMP, the common practice amongst all those I knew was to go "the longer way round" via M5/M7 to hopefully get a better run. In reality it didn't take that long but for some reason for us non-Sydney residents, it FELT like a long trip.

I suggest that Richard's view on access to SMP is coloured by him being from interstate - the view on access for a local such as you or I DRT is likely to be different.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 05:09 (Ref:3847010)   #121
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Back on topic of The Bend, to me it has been a massive leap of faith and a massive commitment for the Shaheen fallibly to build the place - something we should commend them and their team for whenever we get the chance IMHO.

For sure the place is not perfect and there is work to be done but you'd expect that with something new. From a track point of view there was a fair bit of dirt that ended up on the track surface and no doubt they'll be looking at kerb locations and how the track edges / grass are dealt with, it was hard to keep track of where cars where located around the lap at times on the TV but some corner signage or similar identification will improve that. No doubt other items to address but jeez the place is good and I just hope it delivers the type of commercial returns that the owners are seeking.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 05:37 (Ref:3847012)   #122
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
For sure the place is not perfect and there is work to be done but you'd expect that with something new. From a track point of view there was a fair bit of dirt that ended up on the track surface and no doubt they'll be looking at kerb locations and how the track edges / grass are dealt with.

As long as they don't do the same as Townsville (turn 6), SMP (final corner and others), Hidden Valley (turn 5), etc and put extra concrete where the cars have been going off. All that does is allow them to go wider again and the dirt is still a problem.
Make the kerbs bigger so they stay off them.