Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:19 (Ref:3849991)   #1
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DJRTP Escapes penalty for technical breach at The Bend

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/09/14...-rules-breach/

Quote:
DJR Team Penske has escaped penalty following a breach of technical rules on Scott McLaughlin’s car during the OTR SuperSprint.

Supercars has confirmed to Speedcafe.com that the incident occurred during the Sunday qualifying session at The Bend Motorsport Park where the team fitted the incorrect drop gear to McLaughlin’s Falcon.

“Upon a routine post-race investigation by the Supercars Technical Department, it was found Car 17 had been fitted with an ineligible drop gear ratio during Sunday qualifying at the OTR SuperSprint,” read a statement issued to Speedcafe.com.

“There was no competitive advantage and the team admitted the error.”
Seriously Supercars, where's the consistency, if there's a breach there should be a routine penalty of exclusion from the affected session.

If this had been 888 you can only imagine the baying for blood that would occur.

I think the fact that "no competitive advantage was gained" is irrelevant.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:23 (Ref:3849992)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DJRTP #17 Runs Wrong Drop Gear In Tailem Bend??

Just in case the story ‘evaporates’

Mr Fogarty & AA found this... Adcafe are probably still waiting for the press release..

Didn’t prodrive fo something similar in Mr Perkins’ car at The Eastern Creek series launch one year?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:32 (Ref:3849994)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adcafe had it posted first, then pulled it, and posted it again with the article having a different name.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:37 (Ref:3849995)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Adcafe had it posted first, then pulled it, and posted it again with the article having a different name.
Screenshots live forever....
Old 14 Sep 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3850000)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Stewards Hearing At Sandown

A really odd mistake...

If 888 has done it, the screams could he heard from here.. but since it’s DJ...
Old 14 Sep 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3850009)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So it looks like supercars did not in fact try to hide anything but recorded the information ready to present to the stewards at Sandown. It also looks like AA may have jumped the gun without having all the facts checked (mainly, the referral to the stewards).

What I find strange though is that data is only checked after the race weekend. Back in the day, supercars had a data person at every race meeting and data was downloaded and checked from every car after every session. Strange that they are not doing it now - maybe the lessons learnt from the past are being forgotten?
Old 14 Sep 2018, 06:40 (Ref:3850011)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And DJRTP get away with the error, without penalty

Here

Can a team ‘accidentally’ put a different drop gear in at Bathurst so the cars don’t rattatatt on the limiter at the Chase, and have no charge laid against them?

Old 14 Sep 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3850012)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
DJRTP ‘Embarassed’
Old 14 Sep 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3850013)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can a team ‘accidentally’ put a different drop gear in at Bathurst so the cars don’t rattatatt on the limiter at the Chase, and have no charge laid against them?
Well I guess the telemetry is going to show a benefit, so its pretty simple.

But still an infraction should not be left unpunished because there wasn't a performance benefit, because plenty of penalties have been issued before when nobody gained anything from it.

Just infuriating lack of consistency, it is the only consistent thing!
Old 14 Sep 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3850014)   #10
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there are rules, and people break them ( whether intentionally or not ), and there is no punishment, why bother having rules in the first place? Another massive red face for Supercars management.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3850016)   #11
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I read 1 report saying it was resolved and no actions

Now Im reading the will revert back tonight?

Is this closed or still open?
Old 14 Sep 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3850017)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

There are only 2 drop bears (see what I did there?) allowed so to fit a higher one for Bathurst would mean using one that isn't allowed - that would no doubt be viewed differently to this case. Mind you, it might be entertaining to see if the car concerned could get up the hill in pit lane, on the pit lane limiter with a higher ratio drop gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
But still an infraction should not be left unpunished because there wasn't a performance benefit, because plenty of penalties have been issued before when nobody gained anything from it.

Just infuriating lack of consistency, it is the only consistent thing!
Although there have also been plenty of non-issue of penalties where there was no gain. Each case viewed on its merits by the stewards I guess.

Personally, regardless of the team, I think the "no performance benefit" thing is a crock - the car either meets the rules or it doesn't. If it does, happy days, if it doesn't - whammo!
Old 14 Sep 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3850030)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There are only 2 drop bears (see what I did there?) allowed so to fit a higher one for Bathurst would mean using one that isn't allowed - that would no doubt be viewed differently to this case. Mind you, it might be entertaining to see if the car concerned could get up the hill in pit lane, on the pit lane limiter with a higher ratio drop gear.
True but if you could swap the drop bear out after Hardie’s Heroes with no penalty, then no performance advantage might be found....
Old 14 Sep 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3850056)   #14
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Personally, regardless of the team, I think the "no performance benefit" thing is a crock - the car either meets the rules or it doesn't. If it does, happy days, if it doesn't - whammo!
It has to be taken into account though. There's a big difference between blatant cheating and mixing up parts for no gain and sometimes even loss of performance.

At the end of the day a race weekend is a high pressure, low rest environment and mistakes are going to happen.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3850058)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Teams have been hit far harder for a lot less.

The car ran in a qualifying session, out of spec.

I recall a year when Mr Murphy's Kelly Krate qualified using wheels that were not the recently-implemented control wheel. You wouldn't think that would offer a perfermance gain, but he was ousted.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3850065)   #16
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And teams have had no/less punishment for a lot more. It's not as simple as saying everyone gets punished the same regardless of the infraction. Stewards have access to far more information than any fan does.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3850067)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

So what's now to stop someone "accidentally" testing something in a session?

You just can't open pandora's box, I think.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3850079)   #18
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - what a big deal.

Obviously right up there with Smokey Yunick stuff; but not quite at TWR levels.

Anyway; as you were.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3850080)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
And teams have had no/less punishment for a lot more. It's not as simple as saying everyone gets punished the same regardless of the infraction. Stewards have access to far more information than any fan does.
And if 888 had done it, there would be no end of comment, abuse and vitriol of cheating and the like

The team ran a car outside the rules of the day. That they recognised this, and fixed it, suggests they discovered/knew of the problem.

The bloke in 11th place that day ran his car to the letter of the law. Why should he have started the race behind a car that was technically ineligible during qualifying?
Old 15 Sep 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3850233)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
$30k Fine, Half Suspended, No Points Loss
Old 15 Sep 2018, 03:43 (Ref:3850234)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
End of year dinner is going to be extravagant.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3850251)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Full Summary Of Events
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3850252)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

So no performance was gained, except they did not start rear of grid as they probably should have...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Sep 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3850301)   #24
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Find it a bit weird that they disqualified #17 from that qualifying when it happened several weeks ago. Could the powers to be gave #17 a grid penalty to make up for it or is CAMS/VASA admitting they have invented time travel?
Old 15 Sep 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3850308)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course the real silliness is having a rule that allows only for two different ratios and then mandating which one must be used at which circuit.

Why dictate which ratio must be used when performance wise there is only one choice? Sounds like another case of writing rules for the sake of writing rules.