Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1259735)   #26
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to work the pit board and timing for a driver when I was 14...then again dinosaurs also roamed the earth back then

Last edited by PaulSands; 23 Mar 2005 at 13:01.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1261180)   #27
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been alot fairer & probably just as economically viable to charge for a 1/2 price ticket or even 3/4, being 12 does not constitute being an adult & therefore should not incur an adult price ticket. No one begrudges the circuit maximising margins but this will do the reverse & just p**s people off unecessarily. I always thought JP was a cunning & businessman, now I think he's c runt

Last edited by topwelshman; 24 Mar 2005 at 23:30.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1261190)   #28
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Please note that it is not only the child age that has been changed...the concessions for OAP's and the disabled is to be removed. I think that it is a disgrace...
At the risk of being controversial, why should the disabled get in cheaper?

Do they watch less?

Personally, I'm all for equality.

Last edited by JohnMiller; 25 Mar 2005 at 00:03.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1262003)   #29
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's fair point to be honest. However, without wishing to make light of disabilities, I guess if you are blind you can't get as much enjoyment from racing as a person with full sight; and if you are in a wheelchair then you maybe can't access all parts of the spectator areas (Cadwell for example). Thereby, I guess it's only fair that they aren't charged full whack. Maybe it also has something to do with incomes, but that's opening a can a worms.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1262557)   #30
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all know that JP wants to get more paying people through the gates, well charging for kids will just have the opposite affect. In the past a paying parent would quite happily bring 1 or 2 kids in free of charge. By doing this JP didn't lose any money but probably gained more. If my son is any thing to go by, then kids need a burger down their throats at least twice a day. Then add on soft drinks, crisps and a pint for dad and thats more money into JP's coffers. By charging for kids the parent that was going to pay £10 plus the cost of snacks for his brood is now not going to pay £30 plus snacks. It will be cheaper for him to spend the day in his local cinema or shopping centre. It will be interesting to do a profit comparison between last year and this year to see if it has an effect, I think it will have.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1262576)   #31
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
If I remember my A Level Economics lessons correctly, then a Price Elasticity of Demand equation will need to be done
Old 27 Mar 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1262654)   #32
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking to my dad about this today, he reckons JP needs the money to fuel his helicopter...
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1262762)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought the reasoning behind letting disabled people in with a discount is because in many cases they would be on benifits or less able to earn as much as a fully able person.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1264578)   #34
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kids pay and the price goes up

On the way in to Oulton on Monday i noticed that the normal admission price has gone up from £10 to £12, so taking your brood of 12 year olds has just got that bit more expensive on top of the new £10 cost!

Well done Jonathon Palmer for making motor sport more family friendly (NOT)
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1264783)   #35
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
When I went to Cadwell for the bikes on Monday, the guy on the gate said Mr (sic) Palmer wasn't student friendly, and I would therefore have to stump up full price. I could usually tempt a mate to come along for just a fiver but I reckon I'll be off on my own these days. Maybe we're just a tight bunch?
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1267493)   #36
pjh
Rookie

pjh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Well done Jonathon Palmer for making motor sport more family friendly (NOT)
Certainly an expensive day out now for our 3 additions.. Couple it with the food and general lack of track action and all the usual moans it means I'll be coming alone I reckon.

P.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1271983)   #37
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, this will not encourage parents with the potential younger generation of fans to come and watch at all. Given that at all JP's circuits (except Brands) the viewing is very poor there is no way I would take the family for a race day knowing that I would have to pay for the over 12's in the group. It makes it an expensive day out and for the kids who are not real fans then tend to get bored quite quickly.
It does sadden me as I got into racing following a school trip to Brands many years ago. I could only persuade my old Dad to take me to races as there was no charge for kids then. If my Dad had had to pay for me as well I doubt I would have been taken and hence would not have developed this interest.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1272073)   #38
DTM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blackpool
DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for me the answers simple i won't be going to oulton to see any racing ie BTCC it will cost £50 for me and my 13y.o to get in. Such action does not encourage families to motor racing I would have thought getting kids interested at an early age would be more of a priority. Nice to see a great calander of racing at Brands though including 2 rounds of the BTCC ,not that i could afford it,but not alot of premier events at Oulton unfortunately ie no f3. Well thank god Croft and Donington are within driving distance, kids are 15 and under.

Last edited by DTM; 6 Apr 2005 at 21:53.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1272079)   #39
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTM - if your child is 12 they will get in for free. Only when they get to the age of 13 will they have to pay, according to the MSV fixture guide.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1272083)   #40
DTM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blackpool
DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Ian my mistake he's 12 now but will be 13 on 12th june the week before the race.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1272265)   #41
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Have you considered an MSV season ticket as that could save more than enough to compensate for the child prices if you do your sums?
Old 7 Apr 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1272690)   #42
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSMA event at BH on 14/15 May is advertised as kids under 16 free.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1272696)   #43
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, because CSMA take over the track that weekend and so they fix entry prices, I believe.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 7 Apr 2005 at 18:48.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1272706)   #44
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Have you considered an MSV season ticket as that could save more than enough to compensate for the child prices if you do your sums?
I hope MSV are paying you for all this PR work you do for them Stephen
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1272709)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Yes, because CSMA take over the track that weekend and so they fix entry prices, I believe.
Trouble is the damage has already been done and many people with kids will now be put off from any events at these circuits believing they will have to pay the extra whoever has the track for the weekend.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1272716)   #46
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
At what age do you have to pay for children at football matches and what age do they become adults. Anyone know?
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1272723)   #47
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
At what age do you have to pay for children at football matches and what age do they become adults. Anyone know?
From a random selection
Wycombe Wanderers (div 3?) Adults £16, under 16's £10
Arsenal (prem) Adults £40, under 16's £16
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1272725)   #48
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Understandable you have to pay something because of granstands at football grounds, and a seat is a seat. In fact, I think there's always been a price for a child to occupy a grandstand seat at Brands etc. and probably most other circuits.
Personally I wouldn't be opposed to a (reasonable) concessionary rate to under 16s (as we see at pretty well all football grounds, if not all), however the problem is that children are being asked to pay an adult rate.

Last edited by Asp; 7 Apr 2005 at 19:32. Reason: An extra thought!
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1272728)   #49
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Nigel.

I was wondering how the MSV pricing structure compared to other entertainment. Price wise it seems good value but it does appear they stick to 16 years as the cut off
Old 7 Apr 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1272734)   #50
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I think 16 is a fairly widely accepted cut off point for children. Have to agree with Asp, a concessionary rate for 12-16 year olds, say half price, would have been a more acceptable solution.