Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2000, 16:34 (Ref:35987)   #1
Ace
Rookie

Ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Setups or lack of ability the fact is that JV beat DC. For sure most of you are going to say that BAR is much better than DC's McLaren. What about Spa? Trulli and Button were ahead of DC, was that also because McLaren is not giving DC a good Car?
We all know that DC is a great driver (in the same group as TGF and Rubinho). His problem is consistency. He has never been able to have two races in a row with a good performance. For those who say that DC is not getting the same car as Mika, you need a lot explaining to do.

Having said that, we all know that Qualifying is not where you score the points. TGF is going to have nightmares tonight knowing that JV and Mika are behind him. He must picturing in his mind both of them getting ahead of him before the first corner. Bad enough the track is wide enough to make his swerve-across-the-track move useless, if he dares to do it in front of JV they might end up out of the race before the first lap is completed. JV does not have anything to loose if TGF gets in his way. Don’t be surprised if we see another start behind the security car, after all Bernie wants TGF to win this year and has to make anything he can to help him out.

One thing is for sure. If tomorrow TGF gets beaten the excuse of the inferior car will not be valid. After all Rubinho was able to match his pace today. What has been changed for Rubinho? The official report from Ferrari is that he will use the chassis 202 instead of the one he has been using since the first race. It happens to be that the 202 was TGF’s race car since Monaco and now he has the chassis 205 and the 204 is his spare car. It means that TGF got the latest evolution in the chassis both as race car and spare car while Rubinho gets 2 evolutions old chassis. In spite of that Rubinho matches TGF’s pace. What would have happen if Rubinho were given the 204?

More coffee please
Old 9 Sep 2000, 16:41 (Ref:35990)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens would beat TGF in equal equipment. That is what I am saying and that is what I will continue to say. Therefore Rubens will never get equal equipment or attention until TGF retires or leaves the team.

Unless Rubens is delusional, and I do not think he is, he knows that now.

I would like to see Jacques take TGF off in the first chicane, but I believe he will probably turf Mika instead as they both attempt to surge ahead of the Ferraris (both having this Murray-induced "blinding starter" reputation to live up to).

Whoever makes it through the first chicane in first place, assuming he does not break his car or pitch it into the Kleenex Gravel Trap, will win the race.

It will be a Ferrari.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 16:47 (Ref:35995)   #3
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think TGF has any worries Ace. This grid is the best he could wish for. Mika won't risk a thing when JV comes alongside so my guess for tommorrow is that'll be a very very dull race. TGF expanding his lead, Mika stuck with JV's race-pace and Rubens TGF's buffer after Mika got past JV at the pitstop. Finish TGF, Rubinho, Mika. You'd better change this title to 'Sleepy in Monza'
Old 9 Sep 2000, 16:52 (Ref:35997)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably JV will be back in 5th after the first corner. I am not a big Zonta fan, but I have to feel sorry for him here. He was faster in the straight line, and if he hadn't had an electrical failure, he might also have beeten Coulthard.

I think the McLaren has much better handling than the BAR, but the BARs were the fastest cars on the track. So I wouldn't say that DC's car was faster. Plus, this is not a track that really brings out the skill in drivers.

I am curious what will happen in the next race at Indiancrapolis, where the teams will all start from scratch.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 18:04 (Ref:36010)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect Button to do well in Indy. He's been brilliant on the tracks that he knows this year, and when no-one knows it, he'll be up there.

I think this grid is TGF's dream scenario, not his nightmare scenario. Being on pole, having your team-mate alongside you, what more can he hope for? From his point of view it certainly beats having Mika alongside, or TGF being on the second row with both McLarens on the front. I just hope for the sake of excitement in the race that we will NOT see two Ferraris at the front after the first chikane (although that is most likely to happen, unless we have a pile-up, which is more likely to happen).
Old 9 Sep 2000, 19:53 (Ref:36025)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Dino's right about tomorrow-if Hakkinen beats JV tot eh first turn, I'll be durned. It will be a short fast parade. TGF, RB, Hakkinen. DC, Trulli
Old 9 Sep 2000, 20:01 (Ref:36032)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best thing that could happen is that JV beats them all, and they all have to follow him around for 20 laps or so. I wouldn't want to be stuck behind him. He has one of the fastest cars in the straight line, which will make him almost impossible to pass.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 20:06 (Ref:36034)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even better - they have to follow him all race! Nah, that's wishful thinking, but a podium could be JUST within JV's grasp if all goes well.

I hope.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 22:36 (Ref:36049)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't think that Jacques will be slow at all. Honda hs a really fst engine inthat car, and it would not surprise me to see Jacques running at the same speed as the McLarens and the Ferraris. Let's see how well he starts, and then start yelling "Go Jacques".
Old 9 Sep 2000, 23:17 (Ref:36058)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques qualified with the identical time to Cranky Mika. That's got to be a really big lift to him and sort of a blow to the Cranky One ... but we will know by the end of the second lap.

What was the race where Gilles in the Hopeless Red Car held up a whole train of faster cars for a teeth-clenching victory?
Old 10 Sep 2000, 00:32 (Ref:36069)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too hope to see JV leading the race tomorrow...

PLEASE!!!
Old 10 Sep 2000, 06:45 (Ref:36097)   #12
R
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

What was the race where Gilles in the Hopeless Red Car held up a whole train of faster cars for a teeth-clenching victory?
Could be Spain 81. Of course I'm going out on a limb here, since it was before I started to watch, but according to my GP statistics book the results were:

1. Villeneuve (Ferrari) 1.46.35.01
2. Laffite (Ligier-Matra) 1.46.35.23
3. Watson (McLaren-Ford) 1.46.35.59
4. Reutemann (Williams-Ford) 1.46.36.02
5. de Angelis (Lotus-Ford) 1.46.36.25
6. Mansell (Lotus-Ford) 1.47.03.59

Pretty close between those first five cars, one would have to say. That must have been a thrill to watch.

Old 10 Sep 2000, 08:12 (Ref:36101)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely Spain '81.

Watched live, it's a hell of a race, because you were on tenterhooks for whether Gilles would keep the train behind him. Twenty years on, it's actually the procession of processions, because frankly not a lot happens in the pack.

Although that's not to take away from Gilles' efforts in keeping the rest of the field behind a Ferrari which Murray Walker famously described as "handling like a barn door".