Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Apr 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2173433)   #401
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
"Richards encouraged by LMS debut":
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66480

Privately-funded? I guess Charouz mechanics found those Aston Martin Racing suits from a flea market then...
Maybe Charouz paid AMR/Prodrive?
Old 8 Apr 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2173484)   #402
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Privately funded does not mean not run by AMR/Prodrive. Those are two very different statements. The car IS run by AMR/Prodrive since Charouz Racing is a banner, not a race team. Jota ran their car last year, and will run the old Lola at Le Mans. Charouz itself does not have personnel. So yes, they provide funding (or at least some of it) and AMR has a vested interest in the program, so clearly they are not silent partners either. Whether or not AMR/Prodrive is privately funded is another can of worms - after all, it's scarcely 'works Aston Martin' in the same sense that Corvette Racing is 'works GM'.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2173836)   #403
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Privately funded does not mean not run by AMR/Prodrive. Those are two very different statements. The car IS run by AMR/Prodrive since Charouz Racing is a banner, not a race team. Jota ran their car last year, and will run the old Lola at Le Mans. Charouz itself does not have personnel. So yes, they provide funding (or at least some of it) and AMR has a vested interest in the program, so clearly they are not silent partners either. Whether or not AMR/Prodrive is privately funded is another can of worms - after all, it's scarcely 'works Aston Martin' in the same sense that Corvette Racing is 'works GM'.
Who cares as long as an "Aston" is at Lemans most people will be happy and as it looks like the best petrol engined car then I suspect it will be getting even more support from the majority of fans who prefer to hear a car rather than just see it. Diesels (well the Audi in particular) are not the cars to fuel the passion of the thousands who want to experience Lemans.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2173884)   #404
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
I suspect it will be getting even more support from the majority of fans who prefer to hear a car rather than just see it.
That IS a great quote!!! Hope henk4 does not read this!!
Old 9 Apr 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2173972)   #405
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
Who cares as long as an "Aston" is at Lemans most people will be happy and as it looks like the best petrol engined car then I suspect it will be getting even more support from the majority of fans who prefer to hear a car rather than just see it. Diesels (well the Audi in particular) are not the cars to fuel the passion of the thousands who want to experience Lemans.
Apparently, those who were asking about the wording care. You make a lot of sweeping statements in there and talk about what the masses want. You, of course, are probably right about what they want too. Unfortunately, sportscar racing has never been driven by what the masses want, because it's not really a particularly fan-oriented discipline in general. Only the ALMS and Le Mans itself stand in opposition to this statement at the international level, and really only the former has achieved a very high level of integration with the fans.

As such, the corporate realities of how efforts are funded, what structure these efforts take, how manufacturer dollars and marketing relate to the effort with respect to ROI and similar fiscal concerns are the heart of sportscar racing's continued health. So, maybe for the punter this is all irrelevant, but for big-picture interests, the course that Aston takes with this project, and any others like it, maintain a great deal of relevance.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2175602)   #406
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gigawave MotorSport has decided to withdraw its GT2 entry from the FIA GT Championship.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2175606)   #407
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No funds? Or doen't they have trust in the car looking at the results of Paul Ricars test and the first LMES race. The car isn't very well at the moment, but with an organisation as Prodrive behind it they should have more trust in the results for the future.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2176619)   #408
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88
No funds? Or doen't they have trust in the car looking at the results of Paul Ricars test and the first LMES race. The car isn't very well at the moment, but with an organisation as Prodrive behind it they should have more trust in the results for the future.
Funds, it seems, are not the issue. Timing is.

L.P.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2184444)   #409
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On Motors TV they suggested a P2 engine is being prepared, presumably based on the Vantage V8.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2184485)   #410
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
On Motors TV they suggested a P2 engine is being prepared, presumably based on the Vantage V8.
A LMP2 Lola Coupe would be great.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2264174)   #411
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting rumours here: http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/17/1.html
Old 6 Aug 2008, 00:05 (Ref:2264186)   #412
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
Certainly interesting story, especially the bit with the good-looking LMP1, 30 million sounds like a reasonable budget... Good to see that they also want to be involved in the 2010 sportscar World Cup, so looking forward already to their plans.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 05:29 (Ref:2264905)   #413
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor
That link doesn't seem to be working (well for me anyway), is there anywhere else where the article is posted?

Apologies: I just had to refresh the page and can now read the article
Old 7 Aug 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2265004)   #414
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
I read that Aston Martin and Mercedes might work toghether to get Mercedes engines in the aston. There are this plans.

Quote:
How Mercedes engines could power future Aston Martins
AMG's 6.2-litre V8 tipped for Vantage models
Diesels and hybrids from Germany planned for Aston
Whole platforms to be shared by top-end models
Eight-speed Merc auto bound for British sports cars
Why Maybach and Aston could co-operate on future models
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...lans-revealed/

Might be important involving Astons LMP1 plans. Although I don't hope they have to use diesels...
Old 7 Aug 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2265259)   #415
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I read that Aston Martin and Mercedes might work toghether to get Mercedes engines in the aston. There are this plans.

Might be important involving Astons LMP1 plans. Although I don't hope they have to use diesels...
Well it's not that secret, it's been known for sometime that Aston's have been talking to Mercedes and a number of other possible suppliers to replace the Ford/Jaguar based engines that they are curently using and which are being built at the Ford plant in Cologne.

Still I guess journo's have to blow there own trumpet and try and shift some magazines!!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2265332)   #416
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
your quite right, these plebs have to shift some magazines somehow........David Richards has already publically admitted AM are talking to EVERYONE regarding replacement engines........unfortunatley, its not just a case of finding a replacement engines........its a case of finding an engine that meets to coming emissions regulations, and that is no mean feat........my fellow well connected spies in the engine design industry tell me the next generation of engines in this class (AM, Merc, BMW, Lambo etc) will be down sized by about half in swept capacity, but will be heavily turbo charged........all gasoline engines will be like this in about 4-6 years time.........big V12's will be a thing of the past, sad but true.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2265387)   #417
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Aston LMP1 + diesel, I can't see that happening.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68281 (from June 08)

Also the Top Gear article had a reference to this.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2265486)   #418
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate turbos!
Old 8 Aug 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2265650)   #419
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I thought that Ford still owned 30% of Aston Martin. I guess this is the consequence of giving up majority ownership.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2265691)   #420
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Aston is developing a £1 Million supercar called the One-77 with a 7.0L V12. A homologation engine for and upsized 7.0L LMP1/GT1 engine perhaps?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/07/e...martin-one-77/
Old 8 Aug 2008, 04:59 (Ref:2265700)   #421
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
Looks like Aston is developing a £1 Million supercar called the One-77 with a 7.0L V12. A homologation engine for and upsized 7.0L LMP1/GT1 engine perhaps?

Ya think?

L.P.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2265762)   #422
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy

That seems to be a sure give away, so great to know that Aston actually is serious about this.

The extra 1 liter displacement should give the car the needed more power, depending on how much the diesels will be restricted.

The car looks great; a DB / SLR clone
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2265777)   #423
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say the car looks the nuts.........engine wise this sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to the news GM have been allowed to use the 7.0 GT1 engine in LMP1........I'm sure Aston now know the reason GM dusted AM in the ALMS was because they could not compete in terms of torque, the 6.0 V12 was never a match for the 7.0 V8.........I'm sure AM dont want to repeat that lesson in LMP1 so are comissioning a 7.0 version of the V12........also the engine will then rev lower which will give a tidy fuel save.

when the hell are we all going to hear about GM's LMP1 plans????.......have the GM board made up thir mind yet?

Last edited by knighty; 8 Aug 2008 at 08:57.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2266071)   #424
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the Aston Martin One-77 (ugh) will use its engine in the LMP1, simply because they're only building 77 of the car. Aren't 200 production engines needed?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2266633)   #425
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Hmm, at the Aston Martin site they say, "for a strictly limited number of discerning customers" but do not state how many.
Also in an interview with Autocar David Richards said, "of course we already have a pretty good line on the 500 or so individuals who'll be interested in a car like this".
Are we sure yet, just how many of these will be built?!

L.P.