Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Sep 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1108356)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shanghai Circuit

The Rolls-Royce of motor racing circuits that is the Shanghai Int'l Circuit is reportedly not for rental... a friend of mine heard the guy in charge said on TV over the weekend.

They just plan to hold 4 big international races at the circuit and that's it: F1, Moto GP, Aussie V8 and maybe JGTC.

I did hear about a LMES round there for Nov next year but really wouldn't bet on it at this stage. Unless Audi or some other big sponsor pays up.

Mind you, by the look of the place, few racing series would be able to afford the rent anyway...
Old 27 Sep 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1108588)   #2
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no kidding...it makes me wonder why we in the US settle for Indy as the home for the USGP...must be a ghetto compared to what is being built now...
Old 27 Sep 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1108638)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had heard that the 5th LMES event was Iberian in nature...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Sep 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1108728)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heard the same here paul-collins... im betting on barcelona
Old 28 Sep 2004, 05:07 (Ref:1109050)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I had heard that the 5th LMES event was Iberian in nature...
I'd say Portugal, but Barcelone would make it too...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 06:00 (Ref:1109060)   #6
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit, last I heard from the organisers they were talking more in terms of 4 races again rather than 5...
Had heard the Iberian rumours, but I also heard FIA GT's aren't joining the WTCC in Spain next year due to lack of crowds so not sure Iberia is a great call...
Must admit, I'd fancy Dubai or the like assuming that the teams transport is paid...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1109098)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio51
Must admit, last I heard from the organisers they were talking more in terms of 4 races again rather than 5...
It seems wiser for a second year...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1109130)   #8
stoney
Rookie

stoney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, I think there was talk of a combined GT event of some description at Shanghai, or did I just dream that?
In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1109142)   #9
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched a bit of the GP on ITV2 last night.

To be honest, aside from nice pits and press facilities, the circuit looked as dull as ditchwater. I can see why the teams and press rave about the circuit, but (as usual with modern circuits) the stands were miles away from the corners and there didn't look to be any interesting sections of track.

Cheers.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1109614)   #10
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I'd say Portugal, but Barcelone would make it too...
I'd hope it's Portugal, and Barcelona wouldn't make it...

As for Shangai, the circuit does seem to have some interesting parts from a drivers point of view, those first turns are weird. No idea about spectators.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1109681)   #11
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At some point during the pre-race show one of the talking heads mentioned that the very first race at the facility had been a Formula Renault race, won by an American. Was that race part of the official F1 program?
Old 29 Sep 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1110030)   #12
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was an Asian Formula Renault race. It was won by Scott Speed.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1110134)   #13
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are raves about the circuit because it is really the latest big budget one to date. Almost all modern day circuits are designed & built with safety in mind and therefore may have to cut corners in some way.

If you know some realistic & cost effective ways of making the circuit more spectacular & interesting, I'd strongly suggest you get in touch with Mr Tilke himself (honestly no pun intended). For me, I think it's a great circuit, obviously you have to give it some time to develope - I'm sure improvement will follow shortly.

Last edited by TerryC; 29 Sep 2004 at 09:05.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 09:12 (Ref:1110136)   #14
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One word, TerryC - SPA!

Alternatively, they could just slow F1 cars down and we wouldn't have to watch other forms of motorsport (with considerably less downforce) on dreary race tracks...

Cheers.