Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 29 Nov 2003, 12:18 (Ref:798186)   #1
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst crash...

What was the worst crsh you have had, were you at fault, someone else to blame!

How much did it cost the wallet!
Old 29 Nov 2003, 12:26 (Ref:798191)   #2
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Or seen!
Old 29 Nov 2003, 13:33 (Ref:798225)   #3
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty to list from a marshalling point of view...
Most cars involved: Donington FRenault Winter Series 2000(?)
Worst to attend: Alfa Romeo fatality at Mallory 2002.
Worst fire: Marcos Mantis at Redgate, Donington, British GT 2001
Scariest: John B&Q hitting the tyre wall I had just been stood on (before diving for cover) at Hilltop, Oulton, BTCC 2002.
Too many others to think of.
Al.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 11:07 (Ref:800185)   #4
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
If you could answer like the format above it would be great,

cheers
scott
Old 1 Dec 2003, 11:17 (Ref:800197)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Heading into Park Corner at Cadwell with no brakes. Exit one Capri 3.0s over the Tyre wall. April 9 1995.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 11:18 (Ref:800198)   #6
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Impressive, sounds painfull though!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 12:32 (Ref:800266)   #7
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
I found a link on the internet which shows the crashes of certain famous drivers!

It shows Ayrton Senna, i remember this, being only small i was very shocked when i saw it, but i remember running to the "old man" and saying hes dead!

the website is:

[Sorry Scott, I'm not going to let that one stay, because it features videos of drivers being killed, which is in pretty poor taste.]

Last edited by Chris Y; 1 Dec 2003 at 12:46.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:03 (Ref:800295)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
Plenty to list from a marshalling point of view...
Most cars involved: Donington FRenault Winter Series 2000(?)
Worst to attend: Alfa Romeo fatality at Mallory 2002.
Worst fire: Marcos Mantis at Redgate, Donington, British GT 2001
Scariest: John B&Q hitting the tyre wall I had just been stood on (before diving for cover) at Hilltop, Oulton, BTCC 2002.
Too many others to think of.
Al.
And my husband was there (in some shape or form) for the first three, thus confirming his nickname of Magnet.

Personally I try to keep out of the way of accidents but the one I remember for the amusement factor was the 17 hatches (can't remember which variety now) in the pit wall at Mallory a few years ago. One driver was very patient and sat in his car until all the debris had been cleared up (mind you he didn't have much choice - his door was wedged against the wall and there were a few other cars round him effectively blocking his exit route).

Sheila
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:20 (Ref:800309)   #9
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Fair play in banning the link.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 14:59 (Ref:800390)   #10
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sheila M Personally I try to keep out of the way of accidents but the one I remember for the amusement factor was the 17 hatches (can't remember which variety now) in the pit wall at Mallory a few years ago. One driver was very patient and sat in his car until all the debris had been cleared up (mind you he didn't have much choice - his door was wedged against the wall and there were a few other cars round him effectively blocking his exit route).

Was it the Ford Credit Fiesta challenge approx 1985/86.
I think one of them made it over the pit wall and into the
pit lane ,a damn good reason for not being allowed on pit wall during the start me thinks .
Old 1 Dec 2003, 18:56 (Ref:800595)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was BRSCC Road Saloons, late '90s I think. I have a photo somewhere.

*Ian scours through photo albums*
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:54 (Ref:801462)   #12
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my memory works I think it was 1987,i was waiting in the collecting area,brscc mod saloons, the clerk of the course, which i think was don trueman,called all the drivers in after the second re start, went ape s..t told them would he stop their round at the brscc super prix at birmingham.Both Fiestas and mod saloons raced at Birmingham, i do remember that day.I cannot see that the incident was road saloons.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:55 (Ref:801464)   #13
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All wrong!!! I remembered later yesterday it was the Slick 50s
Old 2 Dec 2003, 14:05 (Ref:801495)   #14
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the incident i described is a different one to the one you are describing in slick 50 , i dont know about this , i was 50yards from a fiesta vaulting the barrier at mallory,the clerk of the course's b....ing could be heard from this distance as well
Old 2 Dec 2003, 16:59 (Ref:801643)   #15
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall just recount a slightly humourous one from my little archive- I was testing my Sunbeam Lotus at Mallory about 5 years ago on a general test day and was being held up by a rather pristine Ferrari, lap after bloody lap I could get alongside him round the outside at Gerrards only to be out dragged down the straight and blocked all the way through the esses,up to the hairpin etc...,I was getting very very frustrated (but of course wouldnt want to damage his lovely car) anyway eventually he left me a tiny gap up the inside and I took my chance, approaching the hairpin, I got alongside him and glared at him as I went past - I clearly remember the look of shock on his face and I thought to myself 'Yes!' then 'No' as I looked up and went headfirst into the barrier. After the red flag and being towed back to the paddock I got out my crow bar and club hammer and beat the front of the car back into something resembling its previous form whilst swearing and cursing loudly about the other driver to my friend. 15 mins later when I had finished my tirade my friend motioned to me to look round and there was the guy with all his Ferrari pals parked right behind me looking fairly sheepish. I purposely followed him out for the next session and he kindly moved aside on the first lap..........
Old 2 Dec 2003, 17:35 (Ref:801679)   #16
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
hmmm worst crashes.....amoc where the punkrocker porsche was destroyed.....scariest moment....being 1 foot away from being wiped out at stavelot, spa when a v6 renault came flying towards me.....engine ended up on one side of the track and the driver on the other......worst fire.....t70.....luckily he jus drove on by.......
Old 2 Dec 2003, 17:59 (Ref:801703)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was right then Sheila! BRSCC Road Saloons = Slick 50s, just couldn't remember if they were sponsoring that championship at the time...
Old 2 Dec 2003, 20:21 (Ref:801847)   #18
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling at Eau Rouge in about 1988. I was positioned at the bottom of the hill, in front of some debris fencing with the old concrete stand directly behind. Quite a confined position, but a fantastic spot from which to watch. Anyway, in the F3000 race the drying track left many people with rooted wets, and my colleague and I watched the second running of the Spanish civil war as Alfonso de Vinuesa and Luis Sala drove down the hill from La Source absolutely side by side. They had been going at it hammer and tongs for the duration, and it was pretty obvious to us that on this occasion neither was going to lift. Now 2 F3000 cars do not go side by side through Eau Rouge at racing speed. They clearly thought they would have a go. All hell broke loose as we ducked behind the barrier, getting a thorough soaking from the tyres and flying debris everywhere. Bricking it would be the best description of how I felt....Poor Alfie was out for the count, and I don't think he ever fully recovered. British marshals were in force that year at that spot, and I have vivid memories of Prof. Watkins calling for British help, seriously upsetting our Belgian hosts!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 12:42 (Ref:804682)   #19
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caterham K Series Cadwell 1996: On roof on the run to Barn in testing, car caught alight just after I bailed out...
R5GT Turbo at Castle Coombe 1998: Got tapped on run down to Old Paddock, car did a forward roll and nearly landed on Phil Bennetts...
Clio V6 Spa 2001, right rear tyre was flat when I turned into Blanchimont flat in 6th... you can guess the rest. Car was insured though!!!
Clio 2litre Estoril 2003, tapped going into 2nd corner flat in 4th (100mph?) hit barrier at 45 degrees and then did 3 cartwheels. Headache lasted 6 weeks... car yet to be rebuilt but £7-8k seems ballpark...Ouch
Old 5 Dec 2003, 12:59 (Ref:804705)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The worst one I've seen 'live' rather than on tv was Tony Bell's Corrolla at Lydden - full welly down the hill, got on the grass, hit the bank and then took off. I've never seen a car that far clear of the ground (and the flames from under the bonnet made it look extra dramatic). On landing the car did that sort of 'splat' thing you see in cartoons where all the wheels fly off. Fortunately Tony was ok (and the car recovered too!).
Old 18 Dec 2003, 14:48 (Ref:815215)   #21
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crash

This was quite scary, but fun at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
filippi.jpg  
Old 18 Dec 2003, 14:51 (Ref:815220)   #22
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
"This was quite scary, but fun at the same time"

If you say so!
Old 19 Dec 2003, 21:48 (Ref:816449)   #23
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
can i ask a question...that looks like the start of a race....what the hell are all those ppl doing on the pit wall????...or was it just when the safety car came out???
Old 20 Dec 2003, 00:20 (Ref:816525)   #24
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam, I think that was during the race when safety car was scrambled, front cars backed off, back cars didn't...

Al.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 10:43 (Ref:818083)   #25
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ellough park, some time last season (karts)
Leading the race after the first lap, took a defensive line through the tight chicane (last corner) got a bit close to the rubbing strip on the inside of the corner, and smashed my rear right rim, (on one of those bolts which joins the tyres to the rubbing strip)i heard a noice but i fought it was someone else behind me, so i carried on down to the first corner after the straight (thought it was pulling a bit, but wernt that bad so i carried on), just getting into the breaking point, and all of a suddern my rear had overtaken, and i was goin top speed backwards into the tyre wall, hit the wall ratha hard but i neva hurt my neck which was extremly lucky. after a bit of cursing, i got out and helped the marshal, carry my kart over the fence, Ratha funny watching an unsuspected marshal lift the heavy end of the kart with 20kgs of lead on it. And then thinking it was all over, i stod on the woodern floor, covering a drain hole and my foot disappeard down it!!

Last edited by #15 tkm 4/; 22 Dec 2003 at 10:44.