Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1794014)   #26
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright, I am going to go out and fill up with some Le Mans spec gasoline right now!!!
Old 19 Dec 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1794681)   #27
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
The audi diesel is gas to liquid diesel, but no biogas is used until now so far as I know.
yes I heard this too........GTL = Gas To Liquid ........aparrently this is something to do with big oil companies (Shell?) gearing up for Diesels to really take off in north america, the GTL process can really churn out diesel in huge volumes.........some sort of chemical wizardry beyond my understanding........also known as synthetic diesel......the resultant product is like race diesel with a very high cetane number around 70!......normal pump diesel is around 45-50 cetane.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1794700)   #28
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
yes I heard this too........GTL = Gas To Liquid ........aparrently this is something to do with big oil companies (Shell?) gearing up for Diesels to really take off in north america, the GTL process can really churn out diesel in huge volumes.........
The new low sulfer Diesel fuels are playing havoc on the diesel enignes. Lack of lubrication, causeing engine problems and failures, The low sulfer deisel fuels, may have higher octane, but produce less energy which means less HP. Milage is dropping in diesel vehicals with the new low sulfer fuels too.

Over the road trucks that use to get 6-7 mpg are now getting 3-4 mpg on the low sulfer fuel plus engine problems. Pick-up trucks that use to get 19-21 mph are getting 14-15 on the low sulfer fuel, plus can haul or tow much lower capacity. My pick-up has dropped from 19 to 17 mpg which is not too bad. I have not hauled the trailer with car in yet on the new low sulfer.

Overall, the low sulfer deisel fuels are here to stay. Mile for Mile and gallon for gallon, no real admissions changes.Low sulfer deisel still stinks more then petrol emmissions and polution is still higher then petrol. So far not many ppl are happy about it and the.

Will deisel fueled cars be popular in the US and Canada like they are in Europe? I hope not.

Bio-fuels and E85 produce even less energy for combustion per gallon. A car that would get 20-25 mpg on petrol after conversion to E85 gets 12-14mpg at best. So it takes twice as much fuel to travel the same distance. Polution levels are not 50% less either nor are the prices 50% less then petrol. Is there a savings in $$ and emmsissions? Not really.

But the farmers are happy to sell those soy beans at higher prices to the bio-fuel refineries.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1794774)   #29
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The new low sulfer Diesel fuels are playing havoc on the diesel enignes. Lack of lubrication, causeing engine problems and failures, The low sulfer deisel fuels, may have higher octane, but produce less energy which means less HP. Milage is dropping in diesel vehicals with the new low sulfer fuels too.

Over the road trucks that use to get 6-7 mpg are now getting 3-4 mpg on the low sulfer fuel plus engine problems. Pick-up trucks that use to get 19-21 mph are getting 14-15 on the low sulfer fuel, plus can haul or tow much lower capacity. My pick-up has dropped from 19 to 17 mpg which is not too bad. I have not hauled the trailer with car in yet on the new low sulfer.

Overall, the low sulfer deisel fuels are here to stay. Mile for Mile and gallon for gallon, no real admissions changes.Low sulfer deisel still stinks more then petrol emmissions and polution is still higher then petrol. So far not many ppl are happy about it and the.

Will deisel fueled cars be popular in the US and Canada like they are in Europe? I hope not.

Bio-fuels and E85 produce even less energy for combustion per gallon. A car that would get 20-25 mpg on petrol after conversion to E85 gets 12-14mpg at best. So it takes twice as much fuel to travel the same distance. Polution levels are not 50% less either nor are the prices 50% less then petrol. Is there a savings in $$ and emmsissions? Not really.

But the farmers are happy to sell those soy beans at higher prices to the bio-fuel refineries.
are we talking about the same thing here? - are low sulphur diesel and GTL/synthetic diesel the same thing?.......I thought they were two different fuels........the european fuel went low sulphur.....then ultra low sulphur - I interpret the sulphur like the lead in gasoline - its required for lubricity in the fuel pump........therefore I find it quite believable its causing dramas........but the fuel systems suppliers and manufacturers were well aware of the fuel specs coming (like I was several years ago) and they should have prepared for it.......but as they didnt want to spend the money on anti wear packages for the fuel pumps, principally harder shell bearings and ball seats - thats what happens - customer engines go pop - and they slagg off diesels.......the manufacturers have nobody to blame but themselves.........I bet the german diesels are running OK as they are prepared to spend the money - but the likes of ford and GM will probably be badly affected as their purchasing departments would rather die and sell their kids - than accept a component on-cost.........been there seen it happen many a time

Last edited by knighty; 19 Dec 2006 at 15:22.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1794781)   #30
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Technolgy will fix the problems. Right now the low sulfer fuels are a pain.
Both the suppliers and manufatures thought there would not be a problem. Well they were wrong.

NA has the ultra low sulfer fuels too, still not great. I will stick with petrol for my cars and add a lubricant to my trucks fuel.

The other challange is ppl are not buying the 'alternative' energy vehicals. Ford I beleve cancelded many of their planned E85 vehicals, GM saw that coming and made changes. Many of the GM E85 vehicals sit on lots, as customers dont want them.

Will the new deisel requirements for production after jan 07 have a consumer affect? time will tell. My guess those vehicals will sit on lots too.

Dont get me wrong guys, I am all for saving the envoinrment and keeping emmsions down, but technolgy seems to be doing quite will with petrol engines. Heck my race car running on Sunoco 98 is less poluting then my wifes street car of the same make running BP 93.

Ok Sorry for the Highjack, back to the regular schedueld thread.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 19 Dec 2006 at 15:39.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1794837)   #31
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
-snip-
We've had 50ppm diesel in Finland since 1993 and 10ppm diesel since the beginning of 2004 and there hasn't been any noticeable mileage decrease or injection pump failures. Even the old 6.2 and 6.5 diesel Chevys work since the fuel has proper lubricity additives.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1794861)   #32
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
We have the 10ppm fuel here. I have a 6.2 chevy diesel and noticed a 2 mph gallon gallon decrease.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1795200)   #33
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We have the 10ppm fuel here. I have a 6.2 chevy diesel and noticed a 2 mph gallon gallon decrease.
I think it is 15 ppm, but that doesn't matter. Your diesel doesn't require the clean diesel to run because it doesn't have the advanced technology that needs clean diesel. So I guess it wasn't designed to run on clean diesel, European clean diesels are coming soon that have been designed (clean diesel is mandatory for them, especially the particulate filters) that should have no problems with the clean diesel.