Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Feb 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3881703)   #551
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Balmoral no more in Scotland??? What about Lichtenstein or Monaco?
Old 3 Feb 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3881704)   #552
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m sure the hand drier business is pretty big nowadays, and of course his major project at the moment is to develop and bring to market an ‘affordable’ electric car....
Sir James is a good Holt boy - I won't hear a bad word!! A few years older than me but we were at the same school. He was an excellent cross-country runner.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3881711)   #553
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I’m sure the hand drier business is pretty big nowadays, and of course his major project at the moment is to develop and bring to market an ‘affordable’ electric car....
I always thought affordable and Dyson was an oxymoron. As for a Dyson car, no doubt it'll break a drive belt every time it sees a shoelace or elastic band in the road and you wont be able to pick anyone up in it due to the cabin filters blocking after 10 minutes driving.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3881712)   #554
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I note that Nissan are not now going to build the X Trial in the UK citing Brexit uncertainties. Of course nothing to do with Gohsn or the latest diesel rules. They will be built in Japan instead where they can be easily shipped to countries that have lesser diesel rules.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3881713)   #555
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I note that Nissan are not now going to build the X Trial in the UK citing Brexit uncertainties. Of course nothing to do with Gohsn or the latest diesel rules. They will be built in Japan instead where they can be easily shipped to countries that have lesser diesel rules.
The Alliance isn’t in a good place, but at least CG has resigned now!

Old 3 Feb 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3881717)   #556
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Legacy. Legacy. There will be a lot of stuff coming down that will need to be stopped. I suspect he'd done something to smooth the building of the car and it's been discovered. Look out for a few politicos going in the near future.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3881737)   #557
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sushi Carlos will have to respond to its part of the french diesel gate now he's down and done. Assuming he comes back here with his futon one day or another. Because French state is share holder of Renault, I wonder if he will be fired… twice! Seeing how things are going I find its not the good moment to apply for a new passeport if your name is Dupond, "l'ensemble de nos services étant submergé, excusez nous de la gêne occasionnée". Sushi Carlos and president's boy friend have at least eight passeports… if not nine!
Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3881751)   #558
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Absolutely; there was an interview on radio today, the Nissan rep gave a whole raft of reasons, Brexit was the last on the list looking like it was added at the last minute. Guess what, the Beeb interviewer picked only on Brexit and kept chipping away at it trying to make something out of nothing.,....
Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3881758)   #559
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AH! Dreaded inadvertent double post. Deleted.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 22:46 (Ref:3881760)   #560
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They also make them in Russia.

Is the X-Trail such a good product to have manufactured at the plant?

What they could probably do with is a decent Leaf that is not as compromised as the one most recently launched.

For reference:

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/COM...E/#region_navi

(I was going to make a joke about "Turning over a new Leaf" but it might be on poor taste so I won't.)
Old 4 Feb 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3881820)   #561
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is the X-Trail such a good product to have manufactured at the plant?
You mean Nissans or just the X-Trail? I was happy with my 2.8 GR but will never ever buy another vehicle from this brand unless its a Datsun, Fairlady roadster or 240. For decades, the single trace of engineering you can find was due to Dupont. They made a special "no scratch self repairing during the night" paint. Used during on year only on the X-Trail bonnet, domestic market only if I'm right.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3881823)   #562
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Absolutely; there was an interview on radio today, the Nissan rep gave a whole raft of reasons, Brexit was the last on the list looking like it was added at the last minute. Guess what, the Beeb interviewer picked only on Brexit and kept chipping away at it trying to make something out of nothing.,....
Exactly. Many factors involved in the decision, among which lack of certainty on the UK staying part of ‘the single market’ is only one.

Sales of that model are not strong, at best.....

If I watch any news on TV now, it’s World News. More reporting the facts, rather than trying to manipulate them!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3881854)   #563
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Exactly. Many factors involved in the decision, among which lack of certainty on the UK staying part of ‘the single market’ is only one.

Sales of that model are not strong, at best.....

If I watch any news on TV now, it’s World News. More reporting the facts, rather than trying to manipulate them!

There would seem seem to be little point in making the X-Trail in a part of the world where is does not have a significant market share and where whatever share it has is likely to fall rather than rise. Migtht as well bring them in from Russia (via Japan).

More to the point there would seem to be little point in being concerned about not building a car that was not going to be successful.

I see JLR have cancelled the Range Rover SV "coupe" or whatever that 2 door version of a Sport (was it the sport? they call look alike to me these days) was called.

OK, only 999 to be made and a silly price to be paid but at least it would have been built in Coventry (supposedly) so why have there not been signs of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the media?

After all a media that cannot differentiate a small private plane from a jet and an air registration ID from a model number surely isn't going to be able to differentiate between a Range Rover limited edition and a mass market city car and would have both creating millions of jobs and generating huge tax revenues for the Treasury.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3881894)   #564
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it means fewer awful SUVs on the road, that sounds good to me...
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3881899)   #565
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
If it means fewer awful SUVs on the road, that sounds good to me...
Some of us have them for a reason - you try driving down a Rally Stage after 200 cars have ripped it up
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3881902)   #566
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It does seem that the diesel bit is a major issue with the UK plant being geared up to primarily making diesels.

The amusing bit is that import duty from Japan to the EU could be lower than UK to EU under Mr Moggs WTO rules!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3881903)   #567
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Some of us have them for a reason - you try driving down a Rally Stage after 200 cars have ripped it up
You mean it's possible to drive an SUV off road, has anyone told the majority of owners?
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3881904)   #568
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Horses for courses. It would also be a struggle to tow a 2 tonne shuttle with a Corsa! But Dan has a point as well.....

A big percentage of the small to mid range stiff isn’t even 4WD nowadays, but that’s not even noticed by most buyers!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3881909)   #569
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
For the more purpose built off-road oriented SUVs one might also observe that negotiating the country's pot-hole tracks with a seating position high enough to the see the things more easily may be a big attraction for some.

Personally I dislike the size of them since one cannot see through them or around them easily and to me that makes roads more dangerous than they need to be for most uses.

But then that is also the case for many "car" designs, especially with heavily tinted windows, and most vans. And people carriers (or should we think in terms of vans with seats?) offer all of the challenges too.

Never mind. All will be equal and problems of this type irrelevant once fully autonomous transport pods are the only game in town and country.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3881912)   #570
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
You mean it's possible to drive an SUV off road, has anyone told the majority of owners?
I think that for most SUV owners the phrase 'Driving off road' describes what they do when they park with two wheels up the kerb outside Waitrose!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3881913)   #571
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting series on BBC2 at the moment - 'Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil'. A three-parter, the first one was last Monday night dealing with Cameron and the build up to the referendum. Interviews with some of the key EU politicians and a few Brits (not Cameron or May though) gives an insight into some of the thinking that went on at the time.

Second one tonight about the financial turmoil in Greece and next week about the migrant crisis.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3881915)   #572
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
It does seem that the diesel bit is a major issue with the UK plant being geared up to primarily making diesels.

The amusing bit is that import duty from Japan to the EU could be lower than UK to EU under Mr Moggs WTO rules!
Indeed I thought the same but of course under WTO you can also agree tariff free deals. And I believe the EU/Japan deal is a WTO deal since Japan is not part of the Customs Union.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3881920)   #573
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Interesting series on BBC2 at the moment - 'Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil'. A three-parter, the first one was last Monday night dealing with Cameron and the build up to the referendum. Interviews with some of the key EU politicians and a few Brits (not Cameron or May though) gives an insight into some of the thinking that went on at the time.

Second one tonight about the financial turmoil in Greece and next week about the migrant crisis.
I am just coming to the end of Yanis Varoufakis' excellent book 'Adults in the Room'. That is a real eye-opener as to just what an evil mob the EU establishment are. Mrs May should have read it before embarking on her 'negotiations'.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3881937)   #574
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Hopefully on iPlayer!

Great, at the same time as the HMRC announce that trucks carrying EU imports will be allowed straight through UK port customs controls for a limited time (?), I read elsewhere that Motorsport trucks are likely to be under serious scrutiny- this after a Superbike team’s trucks were caught with a serious amount of drugs on board last month. Oh, and a firearm.....
Old 4 Feb 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3881943)   #575
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And the 90 days free movement for all uk passport holders. No change there then.