Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 Aug 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1386177)   #1
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time for LMP3?

I just finished reading an interesting article in Racecar Engineering called Time for LMP3?

In the article it discusses the rise of small prototypes such as Radical, Jade, Chiron etc. and their involvement in national series such as Britsports (UK), VdeV (France) and the SCCA one the name of which I can't recall.*

It then goes onto suggest the ACO get involved by specifying LMP3 regulations along the lines of LMP aero regulations, min weight 550kg, 8 cylinder max, 3L atmo, 1.5L turbo engines. These regulations would be the basis for national series to tie together the rather disparate rules of the existing ones to allow manufacturers to develop cars for all the series with an aim to there being an LMP3 class at Le Mans. The rationale being that the cars could be run for the same price or cheaper than a GT but would have lap speeds approaching F3 therefore quite a bit quicker.

I found the article quite compelling as I am very interested in the development of these mini-prototypes. What do you think about the proposal? Would it be a benefit to national prototype series or would it hinder them? Would you watch or get involved in the races?

* I'm working from memory after reading the article last night.