Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3817808)   #1451
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
FOM attempts to hide the halo on TV....

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/17929

Sorry FOM, didn't work! 4 rounds in and the halo is still an abomination. And will look even worse when it turns into a rear wing mirror bracket.

Old 28 Apr 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3817860)   #1452
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
FOM attempts to hide the halo on TV....

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/17929

Sorry FOM, didn't work! 4 rounds in and the halo is still an abomination. And will look even worse when it turns into a rear wing mirror bracket.

To hear people on this forum I'm the only one who has no problem with the halo. I do however think that graphic is hideous.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3817870)   #1453
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At last the halo has a use!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3817872)   #1454
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At last the halo has a use!
That was my first thought. And the fact that the gear info and speed is right in the viewers vision makes it easy to read. IMHO- good move.

And I can’t see fitting the mirror supports to the halo as a big deal either.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3817877)   #1455
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn’t like the graphic. It would have been better in a simple box. More useful.

As for it being an attempt to hide the halo. Clearly not. It highlights it. It was just an attempt to use the space. Nice idea. I didn’t think it worked, but it’s no more than using the space on the screen.

I notice it in those shots, but my natural interest in how the car is behaving and the steering inputs takes off. My inherent interest in F1 is watching it to enjoy not be outraged.

I would get rid of it still, but I am hardly noticing it in normal racing shots.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 04:31 (Ref:3817990)   #1456
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I didn’t like the graphic. It would have been better in a simple box. More useful.

As for it being an attempt to hide the halo. Clearly not. It highlights it. It was just an attempt to use the space. Nice idea. I didn’t think it worked, but it’s no more than using the space on the screen.

I notice it in those shots, but my natural interest in how the car is behaving and the steering inputs takes off. My inherent interest in F1 is watching it to enjoy not be outraged.

I would get rid of it still, but I am hardly noticing it in normal racing shots.

Agreed. I’ve moved on. It’s part of F1 now and I choose to enjoy F1 regardless. I barely notice it anymore.

Had Gasly crashed in qualy, we may have had a very unwelcome demonstration on how well the halo works....
Old 10 May 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3821243)   #1457
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
4 rounds in and the halo is still an abomination. And will look even worse when it turns into a rear wing mirror bracket.
And hear we are. The UGLY has now turned into FUGLY!

Old 10 May 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3821245)   #1458
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The reason for Vettel's 'almost a lap' evaluation of the shield is pretty evident now isn't it? Only one team sought permission from the FiA to mount the mirrors to the halo. Guess which team?

Old 10 May 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3821253)   #1459
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The mirrors are the right thing, if we have to have the halo
Old 10 May 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3821255)   #1460
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did the scrutineers make them remove the furry dice?
Old 10 May 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3821286)   #1461
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The mirrors I can just about live with placing them off the halo makes some sort of sense. It’s the addition aero piece/wing above it coming off the halo that I really don’t want to see.
Old 10 May 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3821307)   #1462
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Nice one Mike!
Old 10 May 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3821309)   #1463
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

Nice one Mike!

Satisfying to know that at least one other person appreciates my humour!
Old 10 May 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3821334)   #1464
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The mirrors I can just about live with placing them off the halo makes some sort of sense. It’s the addition aero piece/wing above it coming off the halo that I really don’t want to see.
I agree. I don't know how the rules are worded around the addition of anything to the halo is worded. I would think it should have been pretty tight. I would hate to see the start of an "halo appendage" arms race.

Richard
Old 10 May 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3821353)   #1465
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe it was the additional piece/wing, Ferrari were after all along?
Old 10 May 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3821393)   #1466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perhaps not.....
Attached Thumbnails
DWzAPduXkAAjinu.jpg  
Old 10 May 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3821394)   #1467
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe it was the additional piece/wing, Ferrari were after all along?

At least there is some ingenuity with the way the teams present their halos
Old 11 May 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3821414)   #1468
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's not coming off the Halo!

It's sprouting off the stalk for the mirror, so it's probably super legal.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3821463)   #1469
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No doubt that is the designers mindset. As far as I'm concerned these things need to be snipped off, and the thought of any similar structures be nipped in the bud.
Old 12 May 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3821683)   #1470
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
So Ferrari's halo mounted wing mirror / winglet combination has been deemed as illegal. But they're still allowed to race with them in Spain? I would have thought if deemed illegal an immediate change would be required?

Then again, Ferrari raced with an flexing floor for the first half of 2017, and then after being requested by the FiA, had to strengthen/modify the area in question from the 2017 Austrian GP onwards. Again, why were they allowed to race with illegal parts in the first place?

Old 12 May 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3821685)   #1471
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So Ferrari's halo mounted wing mirror / winglet combination has been deemed as illegal. But they're still allowed to race with them in Spain? I would have thought if deemed illegal an immediate change would be required?

Then again, Ferrari raced with an flexing floor for the first half of 2017, and then after being requested by the FiA, had to strengthen/modify the area in question from the 2017 Austrian GP onwards. Again, why were they allowed to race with illegal parts in the first place?

Because it's not actually illegal. It has been argued it is a mounting system, which is not covered by the regulations. By the letter of the law it is legal. However, as with things like the X-Wings, the FIA reserves the right to make changes at any time. So this loophole will not be allowed at the next race.
Old 12 May 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3821686)   #1472
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a pragmatic approach. Rules can be interpreted. Sometimes (mostly?) there needs to be a clarification and it is the clarification that stops teams using it.

This has been the way with F1 for years now and not just with Ferrari.

Quite sensible really.
Old 12 May 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3821698)   #1473
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Yes, but Ferrari does seem to often "get away" with such things, if only for a limited period.

One such episode was when Schumacher, I think it was, won a race and during post race scrutineering, it was found that at least one of the barge boards was larger than permitted and therefore outside of the rules.

Even though the matter was passed to the Stewards of the meeting, they decided that the results of the race should be allowed to stand, and from memory, no penalties were handed down.

I remain convinced to this day that if that had happened with any other team then that the car would have been disqualified.
Old 12 May 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3821700)   #1474
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

If it is deemed illegal, that's an absolute travesty. Might as well tear up the rule book.
Old 12 May 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3821701)   #1475
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, but Ferrari does seem to often "get away" with such things, if only for a limited period.

One such episode was when Schumacher, I think it was, won a race and during post race scrutineering, it was found that at least one of the barge boards was larger than permitted and therefore outside of the rules.

Even though the matter was passed to the Stewards of the meeting, they decided that the results of the race should be allowed to stand, and from memory, no penalties were handed down.

I remain convinced to this day that if that had happened with any other team then that the car would have been disqualified.
1999 Sepang. Schumachers first race back from his broken leg. Both Ferraris were illegal. It was Irvine who won the race after Schumacher moved over. Both cars were disqualified and later reinstated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Malaysian_Grand_Prix