Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3815035)   #151
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He didn’t tell them to build a half-size white elephant pits/paddock and he didn’t tell them to build it in the wrong place. Nor to not build a bridge or tunnel. Nor to make it so half the garages can’t be seen by the paying fans opposite. That was all the circuit management.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3815048)   #152
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Nothing wrong with the Wing at all . I spend many happy hours there at the Classic . It's a long way from GP spectators but so what ? Most of them wouldn't know an Indy car from an F2 car and the chances of the more informed spectators actually seeing something interesting is remote as teams are now so far up their own backsides they think it's industrial espionage if any civilian gets a look at the cars they've paid to see . Obviously D list celebrities can go where they like, when not sharing their wisdom with breathless TV interviewers .
Old 13 Apr 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3815171)   #153
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone can't afford a footbridge but Oulton Park can...!?
Old 13 Apr 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3815187)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s funny, last time I went to Oulton, we had to cross the track between races to get to the other side
Old 13 Apr 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3815190)   #155
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That’s funny, last time I went to Oulton, we had to cross the track between races to get to the other side
Every time I have been to Oulton, the footbridges (they actually have more than one!) at Deer Leap and Clay Hill were both open and in use during racing.
They also opened the gates between the campsite and the paddock between races to allow a large movement of people.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3815199)   #156
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Silverstone can't afford a footbridge but Oulton Park can...!?
Oulton Park, famed for being narrower than a narrow thing being narrow.

Silverstone, famed for being so wide you have to wait for the tide to change before racing

On a more serious note: building anything that could materially affect the circuit licence is a serious business; the ground in the places where a bridge might make sense is like a sponge, the water table is hilariously close to the surface as the weather makes clear to us repeatedly; and the places where a bridge might make sense would require an enormous span with no ground support. It's not like chucking a couple of planks across two piles of bricks!

The recently published development masterplan (which I can't find right now) does have at least one bridge, which IIRC will connect the hotel (one of the hotels?) across to the Wing complex and/or access from the pit straight over to the Wing.

I hope it happens soon, in whatever form.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3815215)   #157
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone used to have a footbridge over the pit straight, between Woodcote Corner and Copse.

Old 13 Apr 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3815216)   #158
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes they had it up to the revamp in 2010
Old 19 Apr 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3816472)   #159
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
teams are now so far up their own backsides they think it's industrial espionage if any civilian gets a look at the cars they've paid to see .
Happy days.
Attached Thumbnails
39307208080_06da610f46_z.jpg  
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3816486)   #160
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Silverstone used to have a footbridge over the pit straight, between Woodcote Corner and Copse.

The Motor bridge was one of the most iconic sights on any UK race track. I miss it greatly!

Of course the F1 pits are no longer at the same side of the circuit as the old Motor bridge, hence the civil engineering problems highlighted above.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Apr 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3816694)   #161
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
.... teams are now so far up their own backsides they think it's industrial espionage if any civilian gets a look at the cars they've paid to see . Obviously D list celebrities can go where they like, when not sharing their wisdom with breathless TV interviewers .
Old 24 Apr 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3817130)   #162
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Bob, as even the worst lawyer in the world could tell you, if both parties to a contract want to re-negotiate the terms, then there is no court in the world that can stop them.
How curious. Specially when I still have the idea to have a degree as a lawyer myself.
Because journos and lawyers are related professions...
And have some lawyer friends that gave me advice about that...

Last edited by Mekola; 24 Apr 2018 at 08:13.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3817137)   #163
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wing is a total waste of time and space, the sheer fact you need to provide a bus service to even get there shows you that. I have been inside, it is a concrete wasteland like Wembley. Not overly pleasant even compared to other similar places.

I know Silverstone is a large site, but really, why did they not just knock what was there down, take a year off and build it there, doing what they have simply shows the massive errors made and the woeful decision making taken, largely by people that are not there anymore due to the place running itself into the ground!

I know it would have meant not running F1 or GP for a year, but is this hopeless situation really worth that? No.

despite hosting ALL the major championships any track really can hope to each year!
Old 24 Apr 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3817257)   #164
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Which just shows how long it is since you went there, I guess
Old 25 Apr 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3817356)   #165
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Wing is a total waste of time and space, the sheer fact you need to provide a bus service to even get there shows you that. I have been inside, it is a concrete wasteland like Wembley. Not overly pleasant even compared to other similar places.

I know Silverstone is a large site, but really, why did they not just knock what was there down, take a year off and build it there, doing what they have simply shows the massive errors made and the woeful decision making taken, largely by people that are not there anymore due to the place running itself into the ground!

I know it would have meant not running F1 or GP for a year, but is this hopeless situation really worth that? No.

despite hosting ALL the major championships any track really can hope to each year!
Point one - the bus service is offered at the Classic but you can walk if you want.

Point 2 - Silverstone is a bloody big place and if I can get between old and new pits quicker by free bus so much the better

Point 3 - you will never mistake the inside of the Wing with the Royal Opera House but so what , that just means it is like every other pits I have been in ....And when it is full of Historic F1 and sportscars I don't really lose too much sleep over the architecture .

It is far from my favourite track but going there is much more fun than making moaning about it (and much else besides ) a life's work ....
Old 25 Apr 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3817364)   #166
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For all of its faults I like Silverstone. It and Brands Hatch together fostered my interest in motorsport. They were the arenas for the big events. That said Thruxton and Oulton Park rate highly with me too.

Frankly I don't think, under the current circumstances, Silverstone needs a GP. The proloferation of sportscars, touring cars and other major.series, not forgetting the Historic Festival, all serve to make the loss generated by a frankly overrated GP, redundant.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3817366)   #167
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I disagree. I think the UK needs a Grand Prix, and, realistically, Silverstone is the only place that can hold it. If the British GP fell off the calendar for the first time ever, that would be a tragedy. It would diminish F1, and it would diminish Silverstone.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3817375)   #168
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I disagree. I think the UK needs a Grand Prix, and, realistically, Silverstone is the only place that can hold it. If the British GP fell off the calendar for the first time ever, that would be a tragedy. It would diminish F1, and it would diminish Silverstone.
It would diminish F1. The UK is the home of the majority of the F1 teams and the race itself has been on the calendar since the F1 Championship started, back in 1950, when Farina won the WDC. So without the British GP, I think F1 would look just a little absurd.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3817378)   #169
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Hopefully they can find a solution to move it to London.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3817379)   #170
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Quote:
It would diminish F1. The UK is the home of the majority of the F1 teams and the race itself has been on the calendar since the F1 Championship started, back in 1950, when Farina won the WDC. So without the British GP, I think F1 would look just a little absurd.
The only losers are the FIA and Liberty.

Silverstone can and will survive with its alternative events. They know their business. What is really a shame is that anyone really thinks what we have now is a Formula One Grand Prix.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3817387)   #171
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would be a loss to the 120K plus who attend the race every year.

but yeah fans aside, a huge loss to Liberty as well as the loss of a British GP would no doubt cause a tsumani of negative press...maybe even signal a death knell for F1.

i always question the numbers behind the British GP though...300K over the weekend, 120K plus on race day. conservatively if each person spends on average $100 a day (which i would say is a low figure) for tickets, parking concessions etc then i dont really understand how they run the event for a loss.

but without any gov't subsidies and sanctioning fees which get higher and higher every year (plus what ever fees the track/local promoters pay themselves - rather whats their cut?) i can see it being a loss all be it an intentional loss on their financial reportings.

personally i think the race is more important and more fun to watch then Monaco, which pays nothing. no way Liberty offer Silverstone such a sweet deal but imo its in their best interest to make a better deal here.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3817392)   #172
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well if your numbers are correct then they get £7.2m from race day spectators
If they get that for the first two days that's £21.6. Not sure what the hist8ng fees are but I bet it's around £10M. Then they have to pay rates on the property, pay for services, obviously they also charge for concessions etc. But I doubt there'd be anything left to invest admfter all that. Alsi i suspect the nunbers are nuch higher than what ive posted here.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3817402)   #173
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Hopefully they can find a solution to move it to London.
I don't see moving the GP to London as the solution and it begs the question, where in London?
Old 25 Apr 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3817408)   #174
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The sanctioning fee for 2017 was, I believe, £16.2 million, whilst the audited figures for 2015 and 2016 showed a combined net loss of £7.6 million.

The projected fee for the 2025, if the contract was to continue, is approximately £25 million. However, there is still at least 15 months for both sides to reach a sensible conclusion to their negotiations.

But having said that, both Silverstone and UK motor sport in general could survive without the British GP. It would be a shame, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world as we know it, Brian!
Old 25 Apr 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3817409)   #175
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't see moving the GP to London as the solution and it begs the question, where in London?
NIMBYS would never let it happen. The Battersea (South London) natives were even in revolt about the Formula E races, and that only entails squealing tyres!