Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3408244)   #51
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was haring along the new pit straight in qualifying behind a Chevron B8 and one of the marker cones at the end started running across the track, back and forth, very confusing. Had ears also - what was that all about? We don't have those in Monaco.
Old 20 May 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3408247)   #52
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
.......one of the marker cones at the end started running across the track, back and forth, very confusing. Had ears also - what was that all about? We don't have those in Monaco.
Not surprised you don't have any of them in Monaco - have you seen the price of carrots there?
Old 20 May 2014, 14:06 (Ref:3408259)   #53
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know, my wife does the shopping.
Old 20 May 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3408316)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The noise your McLaren makes, Marcus, I would think the poor thing was completely disorientated! No wonder it was running back and forth. Expect a visit from the RSPCA any time.....

And since the mention of carrots, I have this vision of Aardman's Were-Rabitt sitting in the middle of the track munching one stuck in my head!

Old 20 May 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3408318)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You have a carrot stuck in your head?
Old 20 May 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3408320)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Haven't you noticed?

Back to the event, there was a great moment at the GTSCC prize giving when their Driver of the Day award was given out. Flavien and Vanessa have an excellent habit of looking beyond on-track performance, and this time was no different. The recipient was young Oliver Phillips, who was sharing his Mother's MGB. A while back he suffered massive injuries in a road accident which put his whole future life on hold. Racing again was another box ticked on the road back to normality, and the huge cheer from the assembled throng of fellow racers as Olly collected the award was spontaneous and genuine. A great moment.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 May 2014 at 18:01.
Old 20 May 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3408369)   #57
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I was haring along the new pit straight in qualifying behind a Chevron B8 and one of the marker cones at the end started running across the track, back and forth, very confusing. Had ears also - what was that all about? We don't have those in Monaco.
It reminds me of the story about somebody testing their car in a fairly exotic location. The driver had decided that a stone at the side of the track was a good safe braking marker for a hairpin that had no runoff. The driver was very encouraged to see his lap times getting quicker and quicker until he went straight on at the hairpin into the barriers.

Turned out the "stone" was a tortoise.
Old 20 May 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3408388)   #58
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few shots from Sunday.
GT&SCC and Derek Bell trophy
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1379.jpg   IMG_1435.jpg   IMG_3491.jpg  

IMG_3223.jpg   IMG_3320.jpg   IMG_3895.jpg  

Old 20 May 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3408389)   #59
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Classic racing cars and FF2000s
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2777.jpg   IMG_2833.jpg   IMG_3976.jpg  

IMG_2978.jpg   IMG_4086.jpg   IMG_4110.jpg  

Old 20 May 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3408391)   #60
brands
Veteran

and historic Tourers and Formula Juniors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3130.jpg   IMG_4196.jpg   IMG_4247.jpg  

IMG_3348.jpg   IMG_3350.jpg   IMG_3377.jpg  

Old 20 May 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3408421)   #61
RickT
Rookie

RickT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the great photos Brands!

Thats Dad in the orange McLaren M10B in the DBT race. Unfortunately the weekend didnt go too well for us !

Dad had made himself a great new seat this week which worked really well and meant i could strap him in tight and the belts and HANS then held firm whilst on track which the previous seat arrangement hadnt done too well. Unfortunately it was only on lap one of practice that he discovered the new seat meant changing gear could only be achieved with the left hand......!!

With the seat modified we were hoping for a better showing in the race but a slowly lengthening brake pedal and some very unusual handling showed up to be a failing left front hub in the post race 1 checkover, so we reluctantly had to pack up and head for home earlier than planned !

Roll on the Gold Cup for some better luck !

Cheers
Richard
Old 21 May 2014, 01:13 (Ref:3408453)   #62
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Thanks for the great photos Brands!

Thats Dad in the orange McLaren M10B in the DBT race. Unfortunately the weekend didnt go too well for us !

Dad had made himself a great new seat this week which worked really well and meant i could strap him in tight and the belts and HANS then held firm whilst on track which the previous seat arrangement hadnt done too well. Unfortunately it was only on lap one of practice that he discovered the new seat meant changing gear could only be achieved with the left hand......!!

With the seat modified we were hoping for a better showing in the race but a slowly lengthening brake pedal and some very unusual handling showed up to be a failing left front hub in the post race 1 checkover, so we reluctantly had to pack up and head for home earlier than planned !

Roll on the Gold Cup for some better luck !

Cheers
Richard
Nice background report Richard. Great to hear the details that cannot be known from trackside during the event.

I noticed that there were 4 Taylors in the DBT. Is this purely a remarkable coincidence? Or just a large family outing? Or something of a mix of the two?

Sorry if I seem overly inquisitive but it's something that does not happen often in any class of racing.
Old 21 May 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3408540)   #63
RickT
Rookie

RickT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Grant

Apart from Dad, I think the other 3 Taylors in the race - Simon, Daryl and Ashley - are all related, . Not sure what the relations are though !

Im sure somebody on here will know more !

Cheers
Richard
Old 21 May 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3408560)   #64
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an absolute joy to be out marshalling for you folks at Stowe on Saturday. Only sorry I couldn't make Sunday as well.
Old 21 May 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3408571)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Stevens View Post
Hi Guys, we were at Silverstone with a TR3 and a G12. just like to thank Mike for the loan of the battery charger, good to see you and Delta there. Fantastic meeting even if we did break an alternator, a dynamo and do a head gasket. Ah well. However Ian had a great race in both cars and somehow managed to get a surprise result in the Fiscar handicap race in the TR co-driving with the cars' owner. Now we've got to go like the clappers to get ready for Snetterton! Great race meeting, unbelievable cars, terrific bunch of people and sunny weather. What more can you ask for?
Wish I'd known you were there Celia; only realised, too late, that it was Ian sharing with Peter (Swete) in the TR3. Peter was somewhat surprised at finding himself a member of the winning FISCAR team. Had to practically drag him to the presentation as I think he thought I was pulling his leg. Love the G12, too. I have happy memories of seeing those race before being usurped, briefly by Lotus 47 and then more comprehensively by the B8s!

Brief report here on our homepage

http://fiscar.org/

And more detailed race report here:-

http://fiscar.org/silverstone-arena-may-17th/

Great shots John (brands); might have to ask you if I can scrounge a couple for our report!
Old 21 May 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3408593)   #66
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Has Swetey ever won a pot previously in anything?

No wonder he was surprised!
Old 21 May 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3408662)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Hi Grant

Apart from Dad, I think the other 3 Taylors in the race - Simon, Daryl and Ashley - are all related, . Not sure what the relations are though !

Im sure somebody on here will know more !

Cheers
Richard
Thanks Richard.

I was vaguely aware that 2 were family but not the 3.

Not always easy to follow the live timing when so many of the drivers have the same name and must be tricky for the commentators to be certain to be unambiguous at times.

Could be a new angle for Goodwood. Biggest field of <family name> ever assembled. That sort of thing ....

Old 21 May 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3408715)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Has Swetey ever won a pot previously in anything?

No wonder he was surprised!
Well that's the beauty of FISCAR. We reward teams as much as individuals. A true club of camaraderie - plug, plug!