Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2445900)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMOC Mallory Park - 19.04.09

Hi all,

Since no-one started a thread on this, thought I'd just post to say thanks all at AMOC for a great day's racing.

In our race, the '50s Sports Car Team challenge, we had a full grid of 30 cars (with 2 reserves), and the standard of driving and cars was great to see.

We were able to field no less than 7 Alfa Giuliettas and 101 Giulias (a record for these particular cars in a UK race, I think), plus with teams of AC Aces, Aston DB2s, Jaguars, Lancia Aurelias (nice to see three out in one race) it felt like the 'right' mix of period cars.

Great weather, friendly people, the cheapest and best breakfast at a UK motor circuit, and good driving. What more could you ask for?

Despite our race being red flagged half way through due to a Sunbeam crash at Gerrards, it was re-started after re-gridding, and everyone seemed to bear this well enough.

A great drive by Mike Thorne saw him collecting the trophy, closely chased by Patrick Blakeney-Edwards in an extremely rapid Frazer-Nash LM Rep.

The arcane and complex handicapping system (something to do with a combination of the alignment of the stars, flight patterns of geese, and whether there is an R in the month), coupled with the fact that this is a team challenge, saw the Lancias in the lead after this first round, closely followed by us Alfas two points behind. The teams all seem to be looking forward to the next round, and full grids.

The pre-war race had some great cars, albeit not a huge amount of them, and was marred by a very nasty accident in a Lagonda V12 (now a short wheelbase). Also at the entrance to Gerrards.

Maybe Mark C will comment further on the meeting.

Regards,

James
Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2445908)   #2
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Hi all,

Since no-one started a thread on this, thought I'd just post to say thanks all at AMOC for a great day's racing.

In our race, the '50s Sports Car Team challenge, we had a full grid of 30 cars (with 2 reserves), and the standard of driving and cars was great to see.

We were able to field no less than 7 Alfa Giuliettas and 101 Giulias (a record for these particular cars in a UK race, I think), plus with teams of AC Aces, Aston DB2s, Jaguars, Lancia Aurelias (nice to see three out in one race) it felt like the 'right' mix of period cars.

Great weather, friendly people, the cheapest and best breakfast at a UK motor circuit, and good driving. What more could you ask for?

Despite our race being red flagged half way through due to a Sunbeam crash at Gerrards, it was re-started after re-gridding, and everyone seemed to bear this well enough.

A great drive by Mike Thorne saw him collecting the trophy, closely chased by Patrick Blakeney-Edwards in an extremely rapid Frazer-Nash LM Rep.

The arcane and complex handicapping system (something to do with a combination of the alignment of the stars, flight patterns of geese, and whether there is an R in the month), coupled with the fact that this is a team challenge, saw the Lancias in the lead after this first round, closely followed by us Alfas two points behind. The teams all seem to be looking forward to the next round, and full grids.

The pre-war race had some great cars, albeit not a huge amount of them, and was marred by a very nasty accident in a Lagonda V12 (now a short wheelbase). Also at the entrance to Gerrards.

Maybe Mark C will comment further on the meeting.

Regards,

James

Wow, 101 is a lot of Julias. I mean Guilias.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2445924)   #3
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh!! Of course, what I should have written was 'type 101 Giulias'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket View Post
Wow, 101 is a lot of Julias. I mean Guilias.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2446370)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like a great meeting; well done AMOC! It would certainly be good to hear from Mark!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2446800)   #5
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great write up by James. All 3 Lancia Aurelia drivers were really looking forward to competing against the same period of cars and none were disappointed. Although at the lower "friendlier" end of the grid, even when overtaken by the fast Aces and Healeys it was at a more reduced speed and the lapping cars were all dealing with the same issues of drums brakes and Dunlop historic tyres.

A really lovely day, very relaxing and with some great cars. It was soooooo good to see all those lovely Alfa's and Lancia's mixing it up as they did in period, although in the 50's Aurelia's were very rarely beaten by DB2s.....

Can't wait for Silverstone on the 30 May when I'll be in the driving seat. Hopefully we'll have sorted out the brake issue that saw Jason lock up and "kiss" the barriers leading to palpatations on my side...thankfully little damage done to the car although Jason's new painting skills will need to be exercised.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2447932)   #6
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear
Looks like everyone is asking me to comment on the meeting!!! I will try and get some info posted but its not my strong point and I snowed under with too much stuff at the Farm etc. I'll see what we can do.
I would offer a big thankyou to all the 50's team racers who put on such a great show and inddeed to all the other grids. The Horsfall is going to be great and I think we will have a replacement race for the cancelled Donnington at the end of the year at Silverstone using the International circuit.
More to follow

Mark C
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2448488)   #7
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a good report on the meeting at:
http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...917&Itemid=345

If I knew how to upload pics onto here I would have a go !!!

Sadly John Turners don't grow on trees otherwise we'd all be rich !!!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2448518)   #8
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't make it to the race myself myself but the Sunbeam Tiger team asked me to post a note of thanks to AMOC and the marshalls for a great day, and a short report on the Intermarque race. Not sure what they had for breakfast but both Tiger drivers beat their Mallory personal best quite handsomely.

The race was quite dramatic despite a smaller field than usual, Tristan Bradfield narrowly avoided mayhem at the Esses on lap 19 to claim 7th overall and Class A win, whilst Paul Clayson also enjoyed setting a personal best and 2nd in Class A. Revised scoring systems and an increased Porsche team look like creating an unpredictable finish in this exciting team championship. Donington has been cancelled much to all our regret, but the turnout for the next event at Silverstone on 30th May looks like it might be enhanced by some newly rebuilt cars, including modified Tigers in Class C.

I hear that Stephen Chapman's Alpine will be repaired in time for the Sunbeam Challenge in August after his off in the team race.