Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2424624)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Who was it that made a vacuum operated overdrive for the 100E and Consul boxes ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Mar 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2424642)   #27
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Who was it that made a vacuum operated overdrive for the 100E and Consul boxes ?
Handa; the hand-operated overdrive was made by Murray - according to 'British Saloon Cars of the Fifties' by Michael Allen.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2424708)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
TOny LAnfranchi started racing a 100E van, thats why thwey're excluded from regs now . . .it was lighter than the saloons and he won stuff!

which makes you wonder, if you went to the extremes of some of the 50's tin tops, how much weight could you remove from an 100E anglia to make it more competitive, even if it did have to run silly carbs
Old 25 Mar 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2424821)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would'nt take much to remove any sound deadening or underseal,as I remember,such things as underseal were an extra. Race prepping a shell should be 3 days cheape than a modern saloon.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2424834)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
not if you have to dismantle it, spot weld by spot weld, refabricate bigger inner arches and very subtly reinforce, modify, seam weld, alter etc etc etc, then reassemble to 'look' original.

nothing new, but not period . . . .like eased wings on COrtinas/alfas or lowered floor pans and rebuilt arches on Mustangs . . .or . . .
Old 26 Mar 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2424996)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
not if you have to dismantle it, spot weld by spot weld, refabricate bigger inner arches and very subtly reinforce, modify, seam weld, alter etc etc etc, then reassemble to 'look' original.

nothing new, but not period . . . .like eased wings on COrtinas/alfas or lowered floor pans and rebuilt arches on Mustangs . . .or . . .

Whats that word ----------------------------------------oh yes,cynic
arches are no problem,just cut out the outer half and replace with flat sheet that tac's into position. Right,wheres that cobalt spot weld drill-bit.
Dont forget that before the arches go in,you need to feed the 2" T45 tubing through the sill's to link the roll cage sidelegs. [Errr,thats not a trade secret,is it?]
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2425111)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
you need to do that Terry . . .especially after you've cut 100kg of original chassis out.

Cynic maybe, but you can see it on a finished car let alone in various preppers workshops!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2425401)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Its great reading all this stuff. Jim's Westminster is absolutly original. I keep on at him to let us make fiberglass pannels but he wont have it.Its blooming heavy.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2425406)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet its engine isn't!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2425419)   #35
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I bet its engine isn't!

Yet another cynic.
The problems arise when you know what your looking for Zef,perhaps even had experience of building,something most scruts do not have the knowledge of.
As an aside,HTPs have been changed yet again,the FIA now want to know how many teeth the idividual gears have,amongst other changes!!

Zef,how about we help Jim and Delta out with losing some weight from the Westie??
Old 26 Mar 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2425455)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
these are non homologarted club racing saloon cars so thats irrelevant, but a simple rule saying bodywork must not be altered is never adhered to to by hardly anyone who builds a saloon race car from scratch . . . I guess its just the next step on from seam welding and multi point cages
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2425879)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I bet its engine isn't!
What engine still waiting .
Old 27 Mar 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2426090)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enough of this technical stuff. What can we expect to see out at the next round. Hoping for the two Westminsters for a start. Any unusual car projects in the offing?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2426175)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
If my numbers come up on Sat I'll build that 100E screamer
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2426192)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Jims just rang to say he has had the bill for the engine rebuild but we still have not seen it yet.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2433307)   #41
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Of course the 107E was the last of the 100E bodies with the 105E engine, but I doubt it was ever homolagated. It also had a different front crossmember and rear axle (I've got one laying outside of my workshop).
Yes it was, number 1219, but sadly the homologation papers have been lost at some point over the years.Any one out there got a set I wonder?
Old 4 Apr 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2433337)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
Yes it was, number 1219, but sadly the homologation papers have been lost at some point over the years.Any one out there got a set I wonder?

What colour would you like?
Old 4 Apr 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2433392)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was the one with the big arches, discs all round, lsd, bonnet scoop and twin Webers wasn't it?
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2433470)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
no that was 1218, 1219 was the modified one

it had a 711 block, dry sumped, knife edged NJ crank, DD head on 45 IDA'sand a Richardson head casting !
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2433477)   #45
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the Cortina is 1225 so Ford obviously homologated the whole range of cars in group 1 and the Cortina in group2, I'm not sure they 'modified' much else other than that and the Anglia . . .
Old 4 Apr 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2433487)   #46
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a matter of interest when did the homologation of Touring cars and GT cars begin?
Does anyone know the earliest App K papers? Was there a set '0001' or '001' or '1' even?

Were 50s cars such as Zephyr, Westminster, 100E, A35, etc homologated?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2433723)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
earliest on my list is No 11, Deatsch Bonnet 19/02/1959

and an Alfa in 58

more realistically the earliest homologations where XK's, SUnbeam ALpine, fancyfiat 250 SWB, alpines, MGA AH300 all mid 1960 . . . .

Anglia, Zephyr, Xodiac, mini 850, moggy minor, Victor, Dauphine, Humber, Citroen, Fiat all homologated in touring in Jan 1960 . . .imagine racing a Super snipe . . .awaits glut of Goodwood wannabe's on ebay !

Anglia was the first Ford in 1960

Ford Pop 1013 says Fiche Missing and homologated as an 1172 . . . . .
Old 5 Apr 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2434098)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
earliest on my list is No 11, Deatsch Bonnet 19/02/1959

and an Alfa in 58

more realistically the earliest homologations where XK's, SUnbeam ALpine, fancyfiat 250 SWB, alpines, MGA AH300 all mid 1960 . . . .

Anglia, Zephyr, Xodiac, mini 850, moggy minor, Victor, Dauphine, Humber, Citroen, Fiat all homologated in touring in Jan 1960 . . .imagine racing a Super snipe . . .awaits glut of Goodwood wannabe's on ebay !

Anglia was the first Ford in 1960

Ford Pop 1013 says Fiche Missing and homologated as an 1172 . . . . .
Not so sure on the Snipe Zef [1960] but I do know that Humber did build 8 of them in 64,they all had a V8 under the bonnet.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2434213)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
no that was 1218, 1219 was the modified one

it had a 711 block, dry sumped, knife edged NJ crank, DD head on 45 IDA'sand a Richardson head casting !
Yes you're right it raced in Venezuela in 1957 entered by TWR !
I'm sure if you have enough of the folding stuff someone will find the relevant paperwork
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Apr 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2434251)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
1019 T Humber Super Snipe Series III 14/06/1960

interestingly the fische is missing so your V8 might yet appear at Goodwod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Not so sure on the Snipe Zef [1960] but I do know that Humber did build 8 of them in 64,they all had a V8 under the bonnet.