Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Dec 2021, 20:53 (Ref:4091311)   #3326
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Happy Christmas one & all!

Hope you all have a relaxing festive period while thoughts turn to next year's racing... Covid permitting!

SWMBO has been on Facetime with family in NZ - already Christmas day there and it's clear blue skies and hot! Doesn't seem right somehow does it? We're all so used to freezing our nuts off at this time of year, I'm not sure if it would feel like Christmas at all if it was hot & sunny.

Not that I'm at all envious, you understand!

From the years when we spent Xmas in Tenerife, I can assure you that a little warmth and sunshine is perfectly compaible with a pleasant Xmas..... mind you this is the first stone-cold sober Xmas I've seen in many a year, thanks to the meds, so my recollection may be a little skewed

Merry Xmas, my friend, anyway!
Old 27 Dec 2021, 00:03 (Ref:4091392)   #3327
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I survived!
Old 27 Dec 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4091432)   #3328
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I survived!

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition - or alternativelt the answers to the quiz
Old 27 Dec 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4091475)   #3329
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition - or alternativelt the answers to the quiz
Another good one Rich!
Old 28 Dec 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4091535)   #3330
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Another good one Rich!

I blame all typos on the new laptop I have which has a slightly re-arranged keyboard layout meaning things aren't quite where my ageing fingers are used to finding them........

That and general incompetence, of course.......used to be major incompetence but he's been promoted.......
Old 28 Dec 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4091556)   #3331
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Beecroft is promoting a Club 24 hour race for under 2 litre cars in Sept 2022.

Gerard et al, thought you might be interested in this:
https://club24hour.co.uk/classes-and-cars

Not really historic, for which I apologise, but there is a class for Mk1 MX5s and I know that Gerard and MGDavid both have race examples of the marque so thought I would post in the Bell’s Banter thread.
Gerard, maybe you could get some of your French MX5 mates to come across and join in?
Anglesey is a fantastic circuit and well worth the trip.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4091557)   #3332
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll be honest, it looks quite an event. Dave Beecroft has the clout to get it working if anyone can.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Dec 2021, 15:48 (Ref:4091558)   #3333
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks a lot Andy, looks nice and historic. It fills the gap we have between 11 and 30 September. Any idea about teh entry fee and, may be more important, refueling conditions?
I know one MX team has already entered a C1 at Silverstone.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4091559)   #3334
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks a lot Andy, looks nice and historic. It fills the gap we have between 11 and 30 September. Any idea about teh entry fee and, may be more important, refueling conditions?
I know one MX team has already entered a C1 at Silverstone.
I don’t know any details yet, Gerard, sorry.
They have a club24 Facebook page so it may be worth keeping an eye on that.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4091570)   #3335
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Re the MX5's, the good point is that we share almost the same tech regulation. And the travel from Paris for instance is not any longer than to Paul Ricard. Brilliant idea you got, thanks again.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 18:42 (Ref:4091576)   #3336
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Re the MX5's, the good point is that we share almost the same tech regulation. And the travel from Paris for instance is not any longer than to Paul Ricard. Brilliant idea you got, thanks again.
Anglesey is well worth the trip, Gerard, the best circuit in the country imho and the scenery is spectacular with the sea next door and mountains in the distance.

I think it was Dave Beecroft that had the brilliant idea, not me! It would be good if you could get a French MX5 team or two to take part.
Old 29 Dec 2021, 00:04 (Ref:4091612)   #3337
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Agree its a great circuit, as you know, Andy. If anyone wants an extra driver I'd be interested......assuming I renew my licence
Old 29 Dec 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4091646)   #3338
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I remember the pictures of Anglesey posted here, no doubt its a great place. Just hope its not to demanding on the brakes because the rear pads replacement is a nightmare! If I say to Richard its the same system used by Alfa (rear Alfettas and front AlfaSud), with a small screw to push the piston back in the caliper he will know…
Old 29 Dec 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4091687)   #3339
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Oh I do understand

I don't consider it a particularly hard-on-the-brakes circuit, although it depends which layout. Coastal is easier on the brakes with only one really big stop at Rocket. If using the international layout there is also a long straight uphill to an open hairpin and the matching downhill run to the slightly over-90 lefthander onto the pit straight, both of which need a fairly big stop.
Old 29 Dec 2021, 18:45 (Ref:4091693)   #3340
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I remember asking to a Capri mechanic how they managed to change presto the rear brake shoes during the long term races in the eighties. Very simple he said, just a need a good pair of pliers to tie a knot in the rear brake line!
Old 30 Dec 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4091744)   #3341
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

I don't consider it a particularly hard-on-the-brakes circuit, although it depends which layout. Coastal is easier on the brakes with only one really big stop at Rocket. If using the international layout there is also a long straight uphill to an open hairpin and the matching downhill run to the slightly over-90 lefthander onto the pit straight, both of which need a fairly big stop.
Agree with all of that. Not sure which circuit configuration they are planning on using but would expect it to be the international circuit to maximise grid capacity. The saving grace, I suppose, is that there are long straights between braking points to allow cooling.
I don’t remember hearing of braking problems in the 12 hour (2 x 6 hour) Race of Remembrance race weekend and many of the participants in that would have been in similar types of cars to those planned for this event.
Old 30 Dec 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4091755)   #3342
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I remember asking to a Capri mechanic how they managed to change presto the rear brake shoes during the long term races in the eighties. Very simple he said, just a need a good pair of pliers to tie a knot in the rear brake line!
IIRC we put some really hard shoes in and changed the drums in the Willhire.
Check Gerard
Old 30 Dec 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4091799)   #3343
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you very much Jeremy! The best compound we found so far is made by Carbotech and we send the shoes to Cambridge Motorsport (previously to Mosa Freins in Belgium) for re-lining. They have a huge knowledge and a wide range of racing shoes avalaible on the shelf. Sadly, nobody wants to bother with this kind of stuff in France…
Old 30 Dec 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4091801)   #3344
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's interesting that in the last couple of years, the need for better/longer lasting brake pads has become apparent. I suppose it results from better racing surfaces and gripper tyres (I include Dunlop's finest).
Old 31 Dec 2021, 06:59 (Ref:4091882)   #3345
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quite right. It seems that since the use of asbestos is illegal we see a wider offer of brake pads depending on use and working temp. Brake fluids are better too imo.

I remember when our 2002 TI's have been totally outdated by the 2000 GTV's when they arrived in Grp1. The Bimmer brakes - discs/drums- did not last long on any track.
Old 31 Dec 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4091885)   #3346
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's wind down day for 2021. I'll set up next year's thread shortly. Now we have Bentley it will be a quiet New Year's eve, or as quiet as Bentley permits. Got a nice rib roast and a bottle of St. Emilion to consume this evening before settling down with Jules Holland.

Looking forward to a peaceful, pandemic free new year. No racing plans as yet but I do have my licence.

So, if I don't get back on line today, I take this opportunity to wish all our mates on here a very Happy New Year.
Old 31 Dec 2021, 08:22 (Ref:4091886)   #3347
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoy your day Peter and all the best for the New Year to all Historic Tenthers (well, all Tenthers I suppose...).

Looking forward to watching some more racing in 2022!
Old 31 Dec 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4091887)   #3348
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers Peter. Down here we are now less than 5 hours from 2022 breaking. Im about to go a choose a bottle of red and having a quiet one at home with a couple of friends. I have a city view from home so watching the fireworks display is the nearest to excitement planned at my end. No wish to go and mingle with the great unwashed atm.

Wishing all on here a Very Healthy Happy and Safe 2022. Catch you on the other side!
Old 31 Dec 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4091894)   #3349
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy New Year to one and all.
Let's hope the new one is better than 2021.
I've now got a couple of weeks rest, we had our last Trackday yesterday and the first one of 2022 isn't until the 22nd.
Aside from Covid (which luckily I still haven't had) there's been a few unpleasant experiences this year.
I was the MSUK Steward @ Darley Moor over Easter when a Karter died after crashing, the Course Controller @ Curborough when a driver died after having an accident @ the Mole Hill & running a bike Trackday @ Mallory when a young lad came off exiting Gerards & is now paralysed from the chest down.
Highlights were being the Clerk for all the VSCC race meetings.
Old 31 Dec 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4091895)   #3350
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sharing the same sentiments with you all. Quiet one for me, will keep my mother company this evening as it's also the date Dad died in 2014.

Here's to a fab new year with lots doing!! ????
Closed Thread