Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:32 (Ref:331771)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
National & Club Racing Website

For a while, I have been considering setting up a website dedicated to national and club racing in the UK. Although there are a couple of sites around that cover the national racing scene, there is no regularly updated site, covering this section of the sport. Do you think there is the readership out there to justify a project to cover this area?

Your comments please....
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:58 (Ref:331800)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello Andy, I would certainly like such a site, so that's at least one!

What are you thinking of including? News? Reports?

A couple of suggestions: A calendar, by date and/or by circuit. And a what's on this weekend type of thing.

Perhaps a feature on different race series. I'm sure the organisers different club series would be only too pleased to give you a little piece about each. Well maybe! It could at least include contact numbers for each series and perhaps links to relevant sites or that series' competitor sites. I'd write a bit about mine if you want.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:18 (Ref:331880)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Sounds like a good idea to me; there's definitely a need for such a site.

Just a suggestion......Paul Perkins has set up an excellent marshalling website at:

www.marshalspost.com

to which marshals can make a direct contribution. Maybe a similar site for national & club racing would be the way to go - it's lot of work for one person to keep abreast of everything that's going on.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 15:38 (Ref:331952)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about a site that covered news stories, championship details (dates/contact details), reports, classifieds, links etc.

I like the way the marshalspost site works, and think it could probably be applied to this scenario too.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 15:56 (Ref:331964)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.ukmotorsport.com sounds similar in terms of providing links, but doesn't cover stories.

www.grid.co.uk does stories and is excellent but is no means comprehensive..

A good balance of both of them would be good.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:07 (Ref:332064)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Andy 100% behind you mate! I would love to do this myself and have thought about it many times but you know how little time I have had until now! If I can be of any help to you if you do decide to go for it just let me know
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:56 (Ref:332100)   #7
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, sounds like a great idea, count me in if you need any help doing anything.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 20:26 (Ref:332117)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good idea id like to help but web sites are a long way away from a speciality for me (nice way to say im sh**) but I can use a camera and go to a good few meeting (mainly round the mids might even get you richy_rich this weekend at mallory so make sure you stay on the black stuff)
if you need any pics let me know and ill see what I can do
Old 11 Jul 2002, 20:54 (Ref:332136)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a good idea, and one I'd love to see work. There are a few sites that have touched on this area, but if I'm honest none of them have been done particularly well. I'd love to help any serious effort to do a (near) definitive website though.

I don't know if anyone has had any more luck with the Ingear website than me, but it all seems quite out of date - which is surprising given the resources they now have to hand. This *could*, if well run, be the website that fills the gap.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 20:54 (Ref:332139)   #10
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
I'll try, my car is slow enough so you'll have plenty of time to focus, read your light meter and change film rolls before I come round the corner....

btw - Are you responsible for the triumph pics on some other site? 'dragon' something or other? They were good.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 21:01 (Ref:332146)   #11
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No they must be someone else sorry but mine are better (I have to say that it makes me feel better) arnt sure were I can put photos from this weekend but ill try and get sum put on and let you know were they am (ill try and make you a star even if you come last)
Old 12 Jul 2002, 08:11 (Ref:332360)   #12
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
brickkicker - if you need them hosted I can put them on www.richyrichracing.com
Old 12 Jul 2002, 08:20 (Ref:332365)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the problem with these sites arises from a lack of jouirnalists. The Grid for example relies on the drivers to submit reports. Consequently each race report stands a chance of becoming confused because we all see things from a different point of view.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 08:56 (Ref:332396)   #14
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy,

Go for it!

As DaveB mentioned above, I've done a similar thing for marshalling, and I've been extremely pleased with the response just from users of this board. If you want, you can use my code - it'll save you a bit of time to get the thing started. I don't mind mucking in to get the thing set up if you need help.

PM me if you want more info.

Best of luck!

Paul.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:12 (Ref:332408)   #15
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy F
Good idea as it would give us overseas people an idea whats going on in England
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:18 (Ref:332412)   #16
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why stop at England....
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:43 (Ref:332424)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah,

I should point out that my previous post may appear negative. That was unintentional.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:49 (Ref:332429)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
We have calender software that's user updatable on motorsportsearch.com - it's not really filled in that much at the moment but might be worth looking at as a possible inclusion.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:50 (Ref:332431)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Three words. Go for it!

As a humble historian, can I make a request?

When putting results in, think beyond the realms of the top six. A good set of tabulated results is a wonderful resource, and even MST's website is by no means comprehensive. If a reporter is at a circuit, it just means being diligent in grabbing the timesheets.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 10:01 (Ref:332438)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

Thanks for all the views guys and gals. I am definately going ahead with the idea, and hope to have the website on-line within a week, even if it is not quite complete!

Any more ideas or anyone who wants to contribute to the site on a regular basis, or are interested in helping me to update the site, would be great.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 10:39 (Ref:332461)   #21
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Dunno what else you're planning, but a background page or so on each championship would be nice.

So, say, if someone was going to Mallory and they saw that the, oh I don't know, Reliant Robin 3000km was on they could link to the page about the RR3000 and get info about it like average grid size, how long it's been running, who the front runners/up and coming drivers are etc.

I know it would be a lot of work, but I'm sure you could sub most of it out on here, or get the reporters to find a driver willing to write 200 words on their championship.

As for contributions I can probably do bits and pieces when you get it up and running, but I'm more of a programmer, so if you come up with any mad ideas (i.e crash.net motorsport 'babe' etc.) let me know, that sort of thing is my speciality.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 10:51 (Ref:332470)   #22
AndyF
Veteran

Thanks Richy_Rich - the ideas for the site at the minute include:

-Championship Details, including regularly updated race results, standings, dates, contact details
-News stories
-Complete calendar for national and club events – full season or week-to-week viewing
-Race Reports
-Links
-Area dedicated to Marshalling
-Circuit guides
-Interviews
-Forum Affiliate with tentenths.com
-Photo Gallery
And much more
Old 12 Jul 2002, 11:44 (Ref:332511)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Andy - rather than an area dedicated to marshalling, may I suggest a "link through" to Marshalspost if Paul is agreeable?

I would have thought that it makes more sense to team with an existing site that's already being updated than to start another one - I don't know what anyone else thinks?
Old 12 Jul 2002, 12:55 (Ref:332616)   #24
AndyF
Veteran

Yeah, EP, I has planned on doing something like that, possibly with an introduction to what marshalling is etc, as Paul's site is excellent, but only really designed for Marshals, rather than those interested in joining.

Thanks
Old 12 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:332620)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I have an New marshal FAQ somewhere around if you want it?