Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Jan 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2621794)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lady Marshal Hints & Tips

Can't remember if we've done this one before but replying to another thread sparked the idea.......

What hints and tips can we all give each other, especially the newbies, about surviving a day out on the bank?

My first and foremost is to always find out where the nearest toilet is. You might need to plan.... (expect this to be expanded on)

Secondly, I would thoroughly recommend getting the two piece overalls now they aren't so expensive. After 18+ years, these were a complete revelation.

Thirdly - don't get upset by any bad language on your post. Live with it, girl - or, even better, outdo it! We all come from various walks of life so none of us can be "precious" about the company we find ourselves in. Who knows - our fellow marshals could be equally upset about us!

Fourthly - if you do find yourself in charge then "take charge" but do rely on your IO (if you're post chief) for support (or vice versa if you're IO). Links to point 3 above.

Fifthly - don't treat the "blokes" any differently than you would a fellow "girl". We're all doing the same job.

Finally - no offence to the guys is intended with this thread but you have to confess that we girls are still outnumbered out there and there may be a few things we could find helpful which are totally outside your sphere!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2621805)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
.....if you do find yourself in charge then "take charge" but do rely on your IO (if you're post chief) for support (or vice versa if you're IO).
Exactly! And sorry Shelagh firstly for not being a lady and secondly if this is a bit off topic.........
As an Exm Observer I usually let my IO "Take Charge" .......insomuch as duties on the "Shop Floor!" I have been very fortunate to have worked with some excellent IO's and it makes my job virtually redundant at times. I don't really care what it says on bits of paper that the Observer is in charge and should be looked towards for advice and guidance. To some extend that does apply, but as far as I am concerned, my IO is far better placed (And able) to be the "Team Manager" whilst I concentrate on writing stuff and annoying the Clerks!

My role as an Observer (To Me Anyway) is simply that.......an avenue of Marshalling I chose to take for it's role properties rather than any Status Symbol!

.........now then........have my boots been polished yet!!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2621861)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark, as far as I'm concerned your boots are always polished as an Observer (Post Chief) ..... What I would like to see is more understanding as to a girl's potential needs. Which is why I reckon that us girls have to make sure that the Organisers realise that fact.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2621952)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My first and foremost is to always find out where the nearest toilet is. You might need to plan.... (expect this to be expanded on)
Here goes - use any and every long gap in proceedings e.g. tyre wall rebuilds, oil dressing and awkward recoveries to use the facilities providing of course that the above mentioned are not on your post.

The rest - I find that once the overalls go on we're all marshals irrespective of which sex we are.

However, it might be an idea for female marshals to practise standing in their boots especially if they normally wear heels.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2622143)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
Here goes - use any and every long gap in proceedings e.g. tyre wall rebuilds, oil dressing and awkward recoveries to use the facilities providing of course that the above mentioned are not on your post.

The rest - I find that once the overalls go on we're all marshals irrespective of which sex we are.

However, it might be an idea for female marshals to practise standing in their boots especially if they normally wear heels.
This is good advice.

I'm of the view that marshals are marshals irrespective of whether we have boy bits or girl bits.

Many of the "lady" marshals I know give as good as they get in the banter stakes, swear as well (or badly!) as the boys and are perfectly willing and able to take charge when they are the best person for the job.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2622390)   #6
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
off topic slighty: At Mallory Park How about getting a portaloo round the back where fire 2 stands?
Old 30 Jan 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2622401)   #7
Darren-W
Rookie

Scotland
Coatbridge
Darren-W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi don't mean to take over your thread, i have one question but didn't want to start a new thread, i was wondering when do you get to go to the toilet ? as i know you get a lunch break but thats half way through the day and the races are long ?

Thanks
Darren-W
Old 30 Jan 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2622416)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Darren,
If there's a toilet near your post then use it as and when needed between sessions. If there isn't then figure out how visible you are to spectators and whether or not there are any handy trees!
Which is why us girls have problems!!!!!
Old 30 Jan 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2622421)   #9
Darren-W
Rookie

Scotland
Coatbridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Darren,
If there's a toilet near your post then use it as and when needed between sessions. If there isn't then figure out how visible you are to spectators and whether or not there are any handy trees!
Which is why us girls have problems!!!!!
Do you mean between clear up ?

cheers
Darren-W
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2622446)   #10
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

could i please beg a favour from our female marshal and track support members??
if someone knocks on the porta loo door, please please could you call out if the lock doen't work
i don't really want to go through such a err shock ever again
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2622458)   #11
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-W View Post
Do you mean between clear up ?

cheers
Darren-W
races are generally only 10 laps but at big stuff like gt they are 1hr. unless there is a mega shunt on your post you will have time after sweeping to go for a leak either in the loos or the manbush as there is usually 3 minutes at least between cars going out on the way to the grid to the start of the green flag lap or start. so plenty of time. even if there is speccys about I have said in the past if on a isolated post to look away now. most hardened speccys know the score

BTW ladies havent you heard of the shee-wee allows you girlies to use the manbush
Old 30 Jan 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2622479)   #12
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally if I'm observing I dont have problems with the marshals with me form having to go to the loo between as long as they let me know!!
Old 30 Jan 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2622508)   #13
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chrissy finds the great big welders gloves unwieldy and prefers a good leather gardening glove safer and more effective.

Also, if you find man-boots a bad fit, try hunting down some Magnum elite boots - they do a ladies version. Buy from blacks or several of the on line police stores. Of course, if you try them on locally and like them, BMMC members get 30% off from Hi-Tech (see the BMMC home page for links)
Old 30 Jan 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2622521)   #14
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an I/O i once put 2 female marshals together, my PC asked if it was wise to put 2 females together..
My reply was, i cant see a problem, as far as i am concerned i have paired up 2 marshals and they have there abilities as any other marshal.
and if there isnt a toilet for the females to use, as far as i am concerned, they stand down for the next race and go for their comfort break and inform RC.
if they do need to pop off, i ask them to let me know just so i know that the body count i have is correct
Old 31 Jan 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2622691)   #15
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
BTW ladies havent you heard of the shee-wee allows you girlies to use the manbush
Tried those at a festival once, but it doesnt help that if we're wearing 'normal' overalls, we have to get completely undressed to go! There's no way on doing that discreetly!
Old 31 Jan 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2622792)   #16
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
As an I/O i once put 2 female marshals together, my PC asked if it was wise to put 2 females together..
My reply was, i cant see a problem, as far as i am concerned i have paired up 2 marshals and they have there abilities as any other marshal.
and if there isnt a toilet for the females to use, as far as i am concerned, they stand down for the next race and go for their comfort break and inform RC.
if they do need to pop off, i ask them to let me know just so i know that the body count i have is correct
Equality people - it's ability that matters not gender (which is the tenor of the above message).
Old 31 Jan 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2622952)   #17
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowspanner View Post
Equality people - it's ability that matters not gender (which is the tenor of the above message).
Gary likes to spread people around so he can scoff all the custard Doughnuts himself
Old 31 Jan 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2623044)   #18
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fairy nuff As long as he equally excludes male and female
Old 31 Jan 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2623279)   #19
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

isn't it good that that the only thing people have mentioned about the gender differences of marshals is their toilet needs
think that proves the point if your in orange your a marshal and a member of the team..what ever gender you are..
Old 1 Feb 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2623345)   #20
Darren-W
Rookie

Scotland
Coatbridge
Sorry people, didnt mean to take it off topic
Old 1 Feb 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2623408)   #21
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years ago I used to run into some problems with some marshals thinking that, as a female, I couldn't be a good marshal. That was a long time ago thank goodness.

I would say the primary needs difference is in the marshalling clothes and the height of the barriers that need to be crossed. I'm lucky to be tall but I've noticed the shortest marshals (usually women) end up having to stand on sometimes unstable, poorly-rigged platforms to get good visibility over a barrier, especially on temporary circuits. It bothers me because you don't want to trip if you have to abandon your post.

The clothing/loo issue is a right pain. Especially when it rains. Wearing rain pants and coat over coveralls is awkward. The loos are small. We end up standing outside and taking our rain jacket off so we can undo our coveralls to sit. There's not enough room inside the plastic room to perform this struggle without the possibilty of having hands (or material) land in ooky places. So jacket comes off outside. That means there's a high likelyhood of the inside of rain jacket getting wet. If I'm in a situation where it is raining and I am wearing coveralls, I go very light on my liquid intake.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2623496)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are enough women in trades (as in in the real world away from motorsport) these days so finding female friendly gloves, boots and other general safety items should be a lot easier these days.

Oh, be aware that what you are wearing under your uniform could embarass if you need to remove your overalls in a hurry. Before you lot start commenting I'm refering to oil, fuel & hot radiator water being sprayed in an incident and especially with petrol it's not a good idea to keep petrol soaked clothing on for too long (it burns as I've found from experience).
Old 1 Feb 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2623583)   #23
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
isn't it good that that the only thing people have mentioned about the gender differences of marshals is their toilet needs
think that proves the point if your in orange your a marshal and a member of the team..what ever gender you are..
too right steve, the girlies I have worked with, swear as much as the guys, drink as much and most importantly graft as much plus being on post with a lovely lady is rather pleasing too
Old 1 Feb 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2623832)   #24
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
Gary likes to spread people around so he can scoff all the custard Doughnuts himself
**** NEWSFLASH****

Custard Doughnuts are off the menu from this day forward.

sorry, slightly off topic
Old 1 Feb 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2623918)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Happy for this to expand into "PC Equality" and ANY hints or tips, not just relating to "the ladies", more than welcome as far as I am concerned.