Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1907223)   #1
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT4 @ Silverstone

I wasn't expecting anything from this, due to the small grid and the fact that I tend to like faster GT cars with massive wings - but it turned out to be an absolutely fantastic race, with the front 5 cars still nose to tail after half an hours racing, and a winning margin of 0.041 seconds!!!

A special mention must go to Gunnar Jeannette in the Mustang - he was off on the grass coming out of Luffield on practically every lap!

When we get a big grid of these, the racing is going to be simply spectacular.

Roll on Sunday's race.

Last edited by geeteeone; 5 May 2007 at 17:53.
Old 5 May 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1907227)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm looking forward to seeing them tomorrow. Bit teed off about the lack of an entry list anywhere though? Anyone know how I could get my hands on one before tomorrow morning.

Can't be bothered shelling out £500 squid for a programme or whatever!!
Old 5 May 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1907234)   #3
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Progs are only £5, don't be such a cheapskate!
Old 5 May 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1907254)   #4
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
A couple of these didn't show for the first race.

Provisional GT4 Entry List For Silverstone
Scuderia Guidici Maserati Tropheo Gianni Guidici
Scuderia Guidici Maserati Tropheo Beppe Arlotti/ Bruno Barbaro
Scuderia Guidici Maserati Tropheo Andrea Perlini
G&A BMW Z4 M Coupé Guino Kenis
Grammatico BMW Z4 M Coupé Andre Grammatico
Chris Wilson BMW Z4 M Coupé Chris Wilson
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24 Chris Porrit
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24 Jac Nelleman
RJN Motorsport Nissan 350Z Evo Joe Tuckey
First Racing Porsche Cayman Christian Lepreux/ Dominique Wozniac
GPR Racing Porsche Cayman Maxime Soulet/ Guillaume Dumarey
Multimatic Motorsport Ford Mustang FR500C Gunnar Jeannette
Motorsport 98 Ford Mustang FR500C Eric de Doncker
Motorsport 98 Ford Mustang FR500C Francois Kicq
Old 5 May 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1907257)   #5
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was...ok
i mean, it was dominated really by aston
and there was too much spread.
i was pleasantly surprised though!
Old 5 May 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1907267)   #6
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
it was...ok
i mean, it was dominated really by aston
and there was too much spread.
i was pleasantly surprised though!
Harshness - I quite enjoyed it, especially given that there were only 12 cars. The finish was immense, the battle for most of the top 5 or 6 was good and the Mustangs sound great. That said, just as well that silver Cayman was in the field or there wouldn't have been much to look at but empty track for 90 seconds at a time.

Nice move by the little Exige to pass the Maserati at the end too - I was willing on the Lotus and the Nissan as both seemed to be run by much smaller operations than the other teams.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 5 May 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1907271)   #7
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i feel sorry for Joe tuckey- he drove a slower nissan in FIA GT2 last year!
hero!!!
Old 7 May 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1908230)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good 'demo' by Jeannette and Kenis yesterday I thought - Gunnar's clearly a very experienced and class driver. however I detected rubbed paint on the nearside front corner of his Mustang which suggested he'd hurried the little Z4along at some points!!

The gradual progression of the 2 yellow Aston's in the 40 minute race was also of highlight - clearly a car not yet at full potential?

Overall what i've read about Saturday's race allied to what I witnessed yesterday's shows the series potential and it should attract plenty more entries next season.

Only question I might have is if you've got a fairly 'standard' level series in GT3 already, proving a massive hit (tonnes of overtaking and battles all through the field) then why do we also need GT4?
Old 7 May 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1908245)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice race yesterday between the BMW and Mustang, I really wasnt expecting much from the GT4 cars yesterday but they were actually very good, and pretty quick. Once the series starts growing in terms of entry numbers I think it could well turn out to be another great series, the good thing about GT4 is that people can maybe relate to it a bit more, I mean the cars like BMW Z4's, Nissan 350z's, and Lotus Exige's are more in line with what people in your street can afford and see driving around every day as opposed to the GT1,GT2,GT3 class cars.
Old 7 May 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1908664)   #10
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is there a website for the GT4? like www.fiagt3.com?
Old 8 May 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1908792)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Only question I might have is if you've got a fairly 'standard' level series in GT3 already, proving a massive hit (tonnes of overtaking and battles all through the field) then why do we also need GT4?
Chunty, GT3 isn't that standard though is it really? The GT4 class is much more closely based on the road cars (albeit stripped out and fitted with roll cage and mild engine tweaks) and cheaper. I suspect the Vantage N24 from last year's Nurburgring 24 hour race was the role model/instigator for this class. The standard Vantage V8 gives about 380 bhp, the GT4 version about 410 (the DBRS9 GT3 gives 550bhp?) I believe. They are for the most part smaller GTs, too, N24, Z4M, 350Z. I think that there is definitely room below GT3 for this class, and I hope that the weekend's races should be a good taster for things to come. The racing at the sharp end was very good, and with increased grid sizes, this could be great fun to watch (or participate in, if you have the funds).
Old 8 May 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1908865)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im not too sure where your getting those power figures from John but I would think they are quite a way off the mark. GT4 cars are supposed to have a power to weight ratio of 3.5bhp per 1kg - now assuming the cars are around 1100kg that would mean the cars have around 315-325bhp depending on the indavidual car. GT3 cars Generally produce around 400bhp, cars like the Porsche 997 GT3 cup car that runs in GT3 has 400bhp. GT2 From what I have read on various websites at times has given power outputts of 460-500bhp for the top cars with GT1 cars producing anything between 600-650bhp.
Old 8 May 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1908895)   #13
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
GT4 cars are supposed to have a power to weight ratio of 3.5bhp per 1kg - now assuming the cars are around 1100kg that would mean the cars have around 315-325bhp depending on the indavidual car.
I'm sure you mean 3.5kg / hp, otherwise the cars would have over 3000hp

The Aston N24 weighs in at 1330kgs dry, putting the power at about 380bhp based on that power/weight ratio. I'd imagine the weight of the Mustangs to be way in excess of 1100 kgs also.

Last edited by geeteeone; 8 May 2007 at 10:57.
Old 8 May 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1909107)   #14
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT4 European Cup, Silverstone - Images

Our pics of the FIA GT Championships are online at MSportUK.com. Selection from GT4 below (clicky)...

More pics of GT, GT3 and GT90s are all here!
Old 8 May 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1909112)   #15
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone

The Aston N24 weighs in at 1330kgs dry, putting the power at about 380bhp based on that power/weight ratio. I'd imagine the weight of the Mustangs to be way in excess of 1100 kgs also.
The FR500C weighs 3200 lbs thats around 1450 kgs so they are quite heavy.
Old 8 May 2007, 16:27 (Ref:1909146)   #16
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone
It is indeed "an approximate 3.5kg/hp" - Press release here.

I like the 3000hp idea though. Teams may insist on bigger spoilers though.
Old 8 May 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1909203)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Im not too sure where your getting those power figures from John but I would think they are quite a way off the mark.
Whilst noting your comments, I'll stick with the power outputs I quoted for the Astons! I think they are pretty accurate from the various articles I've read!
Old 8 May 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1909399)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
Is there a website for the GT4?
http://www.sro-belgium.be/gt4/
Still very basic at the mo
Old 8 May 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1909405)   #19
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Great, thxs
Old 9 May 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1909631)   #20
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Whilst noting your comments, I'll stick with the power outputs I quoted for the Astons! I think they are pretty accurate from the various articles I've read!
"The Vantage N24’s engine is modified to enhance throttle response and performance; including the crankshaft, conrods and pistons being lightened and balanced, the cylinder heads re-profiled to optimise compression ratio and gas flow and the engine management system is calibrated for race use.

The N24 also benefits from a free flow exhaust system and improved air filters. The standard V8 dry sump lubrication system is retained helping prevent oil surges during extreme cornering. The result is 410bhp (305KW) at 7500rpm – a 30bhp increase over the standard car."

from AM's sales lit.
Old 9 May 2007, 08:52 (Ref:1909704)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks for your confirmation of that Simon; I was sure that I hadn't dreamt that figure up. Pretty sure that the DBRS9 approaches 550 bhp too, depending on size of the restrictor at the time.

(PS - Has the Prosport gone, now? Would it have been eligible for the GT90 Revival?)
Old 9 May 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1909745)   #22
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Miles Hulford was supposed to be driving a Prosport in the Revival, but suffered an engine failure. So, yes, they are eligible.
Old 9 May 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1910134)   #23
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Thanks for your confirmation of that Simon; I was sure that I hadn't dreamt that figure up. Pretty sure that the DBRS9 approaches 550 bhp too, depending on size of the restrictor at the time.

(PS - Has the Prosport gone, now? Would it have been eligible for the GT90 Revival?)
Nope, it's still here!

I was supposed to be running it in Britcar this year (and then the 24H) but my year is not exactly going to plan this year...
Old 10 May 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1910170)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hope it comes together for you soon, Simon!