Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2987837)   #26
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i rather had the feeling Ogier wasnt much of a team player, there were plenty of times he pushed so hard as to risk forcing loeb into making mistakes, which could of cost both loeb and citroen championships

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2987889)   #27
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Ogier has always been a bit of a hothead and he will never equal Loeb's record. I think initially a lot of people thought he could be a direct replacement of Loeb, but I don't think that's ever was going to happen.
Don't forget by the time Ogier was raised to WRC level, Loeb kept talking about his coming retirement, and the only question was if he would retire that year or the next one. So Ogier was really pushed to replace him.

Interestingly, it seems that while Carlos Sainz was trying to lure Loeb to Volkswagen, he failed to convince him (mostly because it was implying to take a year off), but in the process he created a spark in his mind, making him change his plans and deciding to stay in rally with Citroen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr View Post
i rather had the feeling Ogier wasnt much of a team player, there were plenty of times he pushed so hard as to risk forcing loeb into making mistakes, which could of cost both loeb and citroen championships
Yes, thats the general feeling, but Citroen formed him that way, so they shouldn't complain. He's been learnt to drive and behave like a champion, so it's no surprise he didn't play number 2 nicely.

I think Loeb was the one pushing for Ogier's departure. He's strangely touchy these days, with what he reads in the press or when his team favours the team over his own success. Not saying he acts like a spoiled child, but he definitly do not seem to accept open competition...

We'll see what happens with Hirvonen, but I think it will be crucial for him to give everything on the first few Rallies, or he could end up being the next Sordo.

PS: Thanks to the moderators for the thread merge. I should have found that one before creating a new one, sorry for the extra work...
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2987906)   #28
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think Loeb was the one pushing for Ogier's departure. He's strangely touchy these days, with what he reads in the press or when his team favours the team over his own success. Not saying he acts like a spoiled child, but he definitly do not seem to accept open competition...
possibly, but we should remember that years ago when citroen were really hungry to win the manufacturers championship loeb followed instructions and backed off to ensure Citroen won, even though it cost him the world championship, so it cannot be said loeb hasnt been a team player

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 19 Nov 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2988693)   #29
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Ford have got the best out of this driver "swap"
Old 21 Nov 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2989571)   #30
The Dozer
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
The Dozer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that Derek Mc Geehan in northern ireland has bought the ex Sordo Mini WRC and has plans to run the car in the irish tarmac championship but the drivers name has yet to be released . . . There is plans in place to run the car as a test on the kirkistown stages in january and then run the car on the galway international in early febuary . . . . .
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2990103)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFINGER View Post
Agree, two number one drivers and Latvala will have to up his game with speed and consistency.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2990355)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ogier to VW

Here Too
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Nov 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2990357)   #33
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFINGER View Post
Only they haven't.

Who's going to be in at ford then?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2990367)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well that throws a spanner in the works for Ford doesn't it? Petter Solberg was widely expected to be at VW - do you think that'll still happen? Fords options are limited if they want to get a team leader. This could be very good for Latvala though - he could well end up as the clear number one at Ford.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2990403)   #35
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I was right on Ogier's move. I told you Nissen and Sainz wanted him, and those guys have serious arguments. (In some sense Ogier's move from Citroen to Volkswagen is comparable to Wurz jump from Peugeot to Toyota in LMP1. In both case they put their eggs on where there is more money.)
The only downside for Ogier will be the lack of 2012 competitive runing, as it should be only testing (and maybe some rounds in the S2000 Skoda).
It is said current IRC champion Andreas Mikkelsen is already signed too for developing the Polo R. So this could be the 2013 VW line-up. Not bad if you ask me.

Indeed it's a cold blow for Ford, they'd better haste themselves securing Solberg quickly. It's even worrying, because signing Ogier was a proof of Ford CEO having reconducted the WRC program, but since it didn't happen...

Another news of lesser importance (yet another possible sign of Ford being in a weak position), Nasser Al-Attiyha is leaving Ford M-Sport to join Citroen, possibly in a third driver role.

EDIT: VW released this video following the anouncement.

Last edited by vyselegend; 23 Nov 2011 at 11:33.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2990419)   #36
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most important news of all is that which has not been announced yet.

Ford have yet commit works support for 2012 and beyond, It is rumoured they could switch their backing to the WTCC with Arena Motorsport run Focuses/Focii (oh I don't know)
Old 23 Nov 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2990424)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bloody hell, I thought the Ogier thing was a done deal with Ford!

Well good news for the VW campaign, but I really hope we hear something from Ford indicating that they intend to run the WRC in 2012.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2990457)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I really hope we hear something from Ford indicating that they intend to run the WRC in 2012.
M-sport are certainly planning on being there, they've signed up Tanak (as a long term prospect - presumably in a similar way that they did with Latvala). Do Ostberg and Henning Solberg have a contract with M-Sport for next year? Matt Wilson isn't looking likely to return as I believe the Stobart sponsorship deal has expired.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2990603)   #39
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr44S View Post
The most important news of all is that which has not been announced yet.

Ford have yet commit works support for 2012 and beyond, It is rumoured they could switch their backing to the WTCC with Arena Motorsport run Focuses/Focii (oh I don't know)
Ford may back a WTCC program but I would think entering the WRC is a far larger, more expensive operation.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2990616)   #40
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still a good move for Ford think Latvalas got a good chance of the championship
Old 23 Nov 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2990643)   #41
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The off-season driver transfer market has triggered more posts on here than we've seen all year, not even the debut of the new cars or the public inter-team fracas between Seb and Seb generated this much chatter!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2990671)   #42
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This appeared in Autosport this evening.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96413

Will it make any difference to how the sport is run?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2990705)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow surprised as I thought Ogier was definitely going to Ford.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2990781)   #44
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move for Both VW and Seb

I think the second Ford with have Mads behind the wheel. I would say Works Ford, but still nothing yet about Ford backing M-Sport again.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2990788)   #45
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
M-sport are certainly planning on being there, they've signed up Tanak (as a long term prospect - presumably in a similar way that they did with Latvala).
Ah, they have signed another driver then? Thats good as I hadn't seen any indications that there refreshing the ranks for next year thus far.

It may be internet BS, but I've read a few comments indicating that the Abu Dhabi sponsorship may be no more?

Quote:
Matt Wilson isn't looking likely to return as I believe the Stobart sponsorship deal has expired.
Very unpatriotic of me, but I don't see this as a great loss. There are many other drivers who were more deserving of that seat (in my opinion).
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2990799)   #46
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It may be internet BS, but I've read a few comments indicating that the Abu Dhabi sponsorship may be no more?
I heard similar things so that leaves them without any major sponsors unless they get very friendly with Ken B and get Monster to sponsor a multi car effort next year. ???

Last edited by BertMk2; 24 Nov 2011 at 15:07. Reason: formatting
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2990802)   #47
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Sounds possible after reading an article in this week's Autosport magazine, stating that Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi are "to cut down on international championships in an effort to help develop local motorsport". It sounds like a decision taken by the circuit themselves, but perhaps the country's ASN shares the view that it should concentrate on domestic motor sport.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2990867)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I thought the Abu Dhabi sponsorship was linked to Nasser Al Attiyah? With him jumping to a Citroen for next year I assume the sponsorship will follow?

Quote:
Very unpatriotic of me, but I don't see this as a great loss. There are many other drivers who were more deserving of that seat (in my opinion).
I'd have to agree, Matt has been in that seat for a long time now and not really done anything with it. There are drivers out there that deserve a chance more than Matt now (including several British drivers). The problem as ever is money - with no Stobart money there's likely to be no Matt, but is there anyone with enough cash to step into the car or is it another one gone from the list of entries?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2991001)   #49
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Sounds possible after reading an article in this week's Autosport magazine, stating that Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi are "to cut down on international championships in an effort to help develop local motorsport". It sounds like a decision taken by the circuit themselves, but perhaps the country's ASN shares the view that it should concentrate on domestic motor sport.
Quote:
I thought the Abu Dhabi sponsorship was linked to Nasser Al Attiyah? With him jumping to a Citroen for next year I assume the sponsorship will follow?
Al Attiyah is from Qatar and is backed by Qatari real estate company Barwa. Abu Dhabi's sponsoprhip of the Ford team is from the Tourist Board and comes from Khalid Al Qassimi, who is from Abu Dhabi.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2991159)   #50
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I heard similar things so that leaves them without any major sponsors unless they get very friendly with Ken B and get Monster to sponsor a multi car effort next year. ???
I've not seen anything indicating Block will be back next year yet, so if Monster do remain in the WRC, perhaps the seat will go to someone else.

Given that Wasserman group have taken over the running of the GRC next year and that Block hasn't had massive success in the WRC, I wonder if he will go back to the States for that next year (and perhaps Rally America again?). I think the only reason Monster are in the WRC is because of Block though, so if he goes I wonder if they will bother to keep the MWRT going.

Quote:
He's going to Citroen as well?! Ha, I didn't know that!

Quote:
I'd have to agree, Matt has been in that seat for a long time now and not really done anything with it. There are drivers out there that deserve a chance more than Matt now (including several British drivers). The problem as ever is money - with no Stobart money there's likely to be no Matt, but is there anyone with enough cash to step into the car or is it another one gone from the list of entries?
Yeah, very true. Undeserving or not, at least he was another entry in a World Rally Car. Hopefully someone else can step up and fill the void.

EDIT: Just done a bit of Googling and there have been some comments made in the last few days indicating that Block will be driving in the WRC in 2012, but on a more limited schedule than 2011, seems his focus is going to be switched back toward the US again.