Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1181501)   #51
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There was a suggestion in Autosport that ITR might have funded MG Rover's entry this year with a view to a Chinese takeover and MG Rover funding further years themselves.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1181502)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
(Crikey. 2,000 posts in twenty-two months. That be scary.)
Old 17 Dec 2004, 04:10 (Ref:1181578)   #53
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
There was a suggestion in Autosport that ITR might have funded MG Rover's entry this year with a view to a Chinese takeover and MG Rover funding further years themselves.
But what if the new company doesn't step in or not enough? Will Rover be a one year entry? Or will Rover become the "Team Ruch" of the new DTM? Whatever happened to Team Ruch that raced the Mustang in the DTM days? I know in the final year of the DTM, they were given a MB to race?
Old 17 Dec 2004, 05:16 (Ref:1181590)   #54
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After winning the BPR-Trophy in a Porsche 911 GT2 in 1996 he quit racing

found a nice quote referring to the Nrodschleife: "Nach dem ersten Lauf hatte ich nur noch nackte Angst. Um nicht zum zweiten Durchgang antreten zu müssen, habe ich einen Defekt vorgetäuscht. Der Mustang war dort absolut unfahrbar."

which roughly means: "After the first run I had only "naked fear". In order not to have to drive in the second leg, I pretended a defect. The mustang was absolutely undriveable there."

Last edited by flor; 17 Dec 2004 at 05:26.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1194645)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Artist impression

If the car will look like this it's great!
Old 6 Jan 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1194680)   #56
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the old shape MG-ZS - so I wouldn't expect so.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1194730)   #57
j_t_8_8_8
Racer

Italy
Varese, Italy
j_t_8_8_8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
old shape MG-ZS
that's a MG ZT

Last edited by j_t_8_8_8; 6 Jan 2005 at 20:39.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1194738)   #58
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was in Autosport before Christmas.

'New' ZT is the same shape, just some altered headlights and bodywork.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1194739)   #59
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
That's the old shape MG-ZS - so I wouldn't expect so.
But looks great (better as the Opel Vectra)
Old 7 Jan 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1195315)   #60
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched every DTM race I've been able too but never made a point of being excited over a new season... MG and the new races at Spa, Moscow and France change all of that for me. I doubt I'm alone on this either.

I can't see anyone topping the DTM this season.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1195430)   #61
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porviding MG are in, and Reid is one of the drivers, I'd definitely be looking at a trip to Spa..
Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1196520)   #62
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Jeroen Bleekemolen will drive in Infiniti Pro Series (feeder series of IRL) next season. There was some interest from Rover but nothing was certain so he decided to choose for an adventure in N. America. Source: autosport.nl
Old 9 Jan 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1196658)   #63
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Jeroen Bleekemolen will drive in Infiniti Pro Series (feeder series of IRL) next season. There was some interest from Rover but nothing was certain so he decided to choose for an adventure in N. America. Source: autosport.nl
Some extra: Bleekemolen can sign a deal with Kenn Hardley Racing, but he still has an open door for Rover. He decides about his future in the next 2 weeks.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1200130)   #64
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to a snippet in Autosport the MG DTM project could have no involvement from MG.....

As we know, the series organisers have funded the project to date, but MG will have to contribute to a marketing fund to appear as a manufacturer entry.

According to MG sport boss, Rob Oldaker - "We've been asked to make certain commitments and we need to see if they make sense"

Hmmm

Last edited by Super Tourer; 13 Jan 2005 at 19:24.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1200143)   #65
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
A project that is nothing to do with a manufacturer - only MG would ever do this!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1200294)   #66
John Winter
Racer

John Winter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series organisers have NOT, I repeat, NOT funded the particular project. They have only helped in finding funds for the project.

Last edited by John Winter; 13 Jan 2005 at 22:06.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:30 (Ref:1200599)   #67
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
A project that is nothing to do with a manufacturer - only MG would ever do this!
There arelots of car projects that have nothing to do with the manufacturer, but which they subsequently milk - the RJN Nissan was pretty much a private effrt last year, and yet the car is on the Nissan stand at the NEC; the ProDrive Ferrari GT was funded by a wealthy French amature, against the factory wishes, etc. etc.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1200630)   #68
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Winter
The series organisers have NOT, I repeat, NOT funded the particular project. They have only helped in finding funds for the project.
But are we right in saying MG haven't funded it either?

The funding to date is from the organisers and Zytek?
Old 15 Jan 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1201342)   #69
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
According to a snippet in Autosport the MG DTM project could have no involvement from MG.....

As we know, the series organisers have funded the project to date, but MG will have to contribute to a marketing fund to appear as a manufacturer entry.
So if MG doesn't ante up any money, what does the car race as? Like V8 Star, looks like a MG, but not be referred to as a MG?? Just no "works" status? 'Cause if it's the latter, they still get their name mentioned?
Old 15 Jan 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1201356)   #70
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rover Germany said they would pump some money in the project
Old 15 Jan 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1201453)   #71
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't actually need 'works' blessing to race - there was a Mustang (I think) which ran several years ago without any Ford support and the ABT Audi's were 'private' before Audi formally returned.

Local dealer/ importer could support the cars - its their money, not the factory's; years ago there were very professional Range Rover teams in the Paris-Dakar that had nothing to do with the factory but were fully supported by the French distributor (untill the arrival of the big works efforts upped the ante)
Old 15 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1201528)   #72
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdad
Don't actually need 'works' blessing to race - there was a Mustang (I think) which ran several years ago without any Ford support and the ABT Audi's were 'private' before Audi formally returned.
Private entries are allowed, but the factory needs to give the green light to use their car. When the "new" DTM was launched in 2000 Zakspeed wanted and even builded a Volvo C70 DTM car. But Volvo (or Ford?) didn't give the green light so Zakspeed wasn't allowed to take part. The Mustang's were at the time of the "old" DTM and I don't know if there was such rule like in the current DTM.

Quote:
Local dealer/ importer could support the cars - its their money, not the factory's; years ago there were very professional Range Rover teams in the Paris-Dakar that had nothing to do with the factory but were fully supported by the French distributor (untill the arrival of the big works efforts upped the ante)
The very professional X-Raid team (leaded by Sven Quandt) enters 2 BMW X5 in Dakar but doesn't get factory support.

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Jan 2005 at 12:42.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1201536)   #73
racingdad
Veteran

Sven Quandt may not get factory support - and yes they are very professional, but unless I am mistaken the Quandt family is BMW's biggets shareholder.......
Old 15 Jan 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1201567)   #74
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Sven Quandt may not get factory support - and yes they are very professional, but unless I am mistaken the Quandt family is BMW's biggets shareholder.......
Yes, he's linked with BMW. Last year he was head of Mitsubhi motorsport. (so maybe my example wasn't a good one )
Old 15 Jan 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1201604)   #75
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Last year he was head of Mitsubhi motorsport. (so maybe my example wasn't a good one )
Ithought that was strange last year - to get a member of the BMW family to run your team while he continued to run his private team at the same time - odd