Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 24 Jul 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1362160)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great 2nd place finishes

Today we saw a great 2nd place finish by Kenny Roberts on the Suzuki at Donington. Of course the greatest 2nd place finish ever may well be Olivier Jacque on the Kawasaki at Shanghai earlier this year.

What races can you remember where the 2nd place finisher had a more memorable race than the winner?

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1362298)   #2
hobophobic
Rookie

hobophobic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this mabe to little to late for Kenny but Jerez this year no-one will forget Sete! or Xaus in 2002 in Assen WSB could have beaten Bayliss easily and made it quite well known by pulling along side him at every oportuinity
Old 25 Jul 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1362530)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Anthony West debuting a new bike, only do be balked AMA style by the lapped traffic only to finish second count?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1362632)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say that was more notable than Roberts at last nights race.

If it wasn't for a machine fault, Fogarty would have finished 2nd at Donnington in 1993 on the Cagiva replacing Mat Mladin, he wound up 4th so that almost counts....
Old 25 Jul 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1363336)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Troy Bayliss in the final round of the 2002 World Superbike Championship at Imola?

Bayliss throwing everything he and his ill-handling Ducati could muster at Colin Edwards' flawless Honda.

That round still ranks as probably the best motor racing I've ever seen.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1363354)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For Colin it wasn't a cake walk, I do agree that definatly the VTR/RC51 was a better bike than the Ducati by then, but he didn't cruise round either

Okay, I've found a ripper, Ralf Waldamann/Olivier Jacque from Donnington 2000 - Olivier sticks with the dry tyres at the start of the race and Ralf goes for the wet setup, the race begins and Ralf slides down the field to 20th while olivier rockets off into the distance, it then begins to rain heavily about halfway through the race and Ralf starts tearing his way back through the field, on the start of the final lap, Olivier is TWELVE seconds in front of Waldamann but ralf catches him and overtakes him on the final corner.

Pure Gold.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1363392)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
For Colin it wasn't a cake walk, I do agree that definatly the VTR/RC51 was a better bike than the Ducati by then, but he didn't cruise round either
Certainly not, they were both going hard at it and it was spectacular, clean hard racing.

Troy's bike just looked more of a handful - he was certainly doing it a bit tougher than Colin.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1363580)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would say Westy's ride at donington was one of the best things I have ever seen , in fact that whole race was just simply superb
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1363587)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
too true marcus - i would say that west'ys ride was as good if not better than kenny jnrs ..... so there
Old 26 Jul 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1363665)   #10
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i missed the second part of the 125 .. but the 250 and MotoGP races .. almost gave me heart attacks ..
hope the KTM can delive in the dry too

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Jul 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1363666)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
About the 125s, I've sorted how to predict Gabor Talmasci's victorys, firstly, I have to NOT pick him in the picks, and then i've got to NOT watch the race, you see, I didn't pick him in the weekend, so he was leading, but then I watched the 125 race and he crashed, same with the Highside/neck crunch in one of the earlier rounds, I'm sorry Schumi, I don't think I can put in any 125cc picks for the rest of the season :P
Old 27 Jul 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1364993)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tell you what aswell, did anyone else hear the Eurosport stuff with Randy.
Apparently at a very early time on race day morning Kenny was a 400 to 1 shot for the win.
Jules apparently put a few on him later on when the odds died for a podium but I am sure Randy put a few quid on for a win as he kept going on about it!!

Great ride, just a shame that yet again Vale did his Mick bit at the end! "I had a second a lap in reserve you know"
Old 16 Aug 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1384140)   #13
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Okay, I've found a ripper, Ralf Waldamann/Olivier Jacque from Donnington 2000 - Olivier sticks with the dry tyres at the start of the race and Ralf goes for the wet setup, the race begins and Ralf slides down the field to 20th while olivier rockets off into the distance, it then begins to rain heavily about halfway through the race and Ralf starts tearing his way back through the field, on the start of the final lap, Olivier is TWELVE seconds in front of Waldamann but ralf catches him and overtakes him on the final corner.

Pure Gold.
was that the race weekend when Rossi got his first 500 win? In any case, those wet/dry toss ups are always great fun aren't they?
Old 17 Aug 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1384192)   #14
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pure Gold.
Yeah that was fantastic! But I got a good one,

Spain 2002 (Jerez?) Kato on the 500cc hunting down Rossi on the unbeatable honda 4-stroke. Going from 5seconds down to 1second in 3 laps. Probably the last great ride on a 500cc machine.

KATO RIP